1. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 09:321 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Introducing Heidegger ...

So he was responsible for Foucault.
    If I were to name one philosopher from the 60s wave in whom I have something approaching 'expertise'...
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 12:33
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Crappychoice for. Not bad, yeah, still a supermarket fave.
    What about Foucault's Pendulum? Also a supermarket crave? Also just read Orson Scott Card, Ender in Exile, wraps up some loose ends of the series.
  3. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 16:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What about Foucault's Pendulum? Also a supermarket crave? Also just read Orson Scott Card, Ender in Exile, wraps up some loose ends of the series.
    I've read Name of the Rose. It was allright. I just wouldn't recommend it for someone trying to get into a serious book reading set of mind. I haven't read what you're speaking of.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    17 Oct '10 21:171 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I've read Name of the Rose. It was allright. I just wouldn't recommend it for someone trying to get into a serious book reading set of mind. I haven't read what you're speaking of.
    So you read it as a whodunnit book and missed the beauty of it? I'm guessing you're not a Tolkien fan, by the looks of it.
  5. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 19:06
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So you read it as a whodunnit book and missed the beauty of it? I'm guessing you're not a Tolkien fan, by the looks of it.
    Agreed. Even if The Name of the Rose still sells well in supermarkets, I wouldn't count it as 'supermarket trash' by any means - unless one reads it as a simple whodunnit.

I'd totally recommend Foucault's Pendulum (different Foucault to the one mentioned above, btw!). I think it's a better read, and shows off Eco's considerable intellect in a more obvious way.
  6. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 19:12
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You are correct. Tolkien doesn't do it for me. Not much of a sci fi or fantasy book fan. I've liked some like Leguin and Asimov, but not much.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree