1. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 07:02
    Horrible genre label, but oh well. Does anyone out there listen to ths stuff? Right now i'm listening to Mono's You Are There - produced by Steve Albini no less. Any Godspeed fans? Explosions in the Sky?
  2. the highway to hell
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 12:44
    what do you mean, post rock? itslike saying "post classical"
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 12:50
    It's like Rammstein with achordeon and flute.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 14:031 edit
    Originally posted by Iron Monkey
    Horrible genre label, but oh well. Does anyone out there listen to ths stuff? Right now i'm listening to Mono's You Are There - produced by Steve Albini no less. Any Godspeed fans? Explosions in the Sky?
    I was a big "Post-Rock" (Terrible label, I agree) follower in the late 90s:

Slint
    The For Carnation
    Polvo
    Ganger
    US Maple
    Tortoise
    Trans Am

All that good stuff...

Godspeed is a pretty exciting live experience but I don't have much patience for their recorded material and I'm not all that familiar with Explosions in the Sky though I do have a couple friends who swear by them...

Slint's Spiderland, Polvo's Shapes and Tortoise's TNT were records that got a lot of play in my early University years. 🙂
  5. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 14:23
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I was a big "Post-Rock" (Terrible label, I agree) follower in the late 90s:

Slint
    The For Carnation
    Polvo
    Ganger
    US Maple
    Tortoise
    Trans Am

All that good stuff...

Godspeed is a pretty exciting live experience but I don't have much patience for their recorded material and I'm not all that familiar with Explosions in the Sky though I do have a c ...[text shortened]... and Tortoise's TNT were records that got a lot of play in my early University years. 🙂
    i've got Spiderland and have listened to some Tortoise, but most of the rest were new names to me - thanks! You're right - i guess it was more of a 90s thing, but i'm into long instrumental rock so i'm still hooked.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 14:28

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 14:41
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Aye. Tortoise are incredible live, especially Mr. John McIntire on the drums/percussion, who actually produced many of the post rock (and other) bands of the 90s, especially those from the Chicago area (Tortoise, Sea and Cake, Gastr del Sol, Smog, etc.)

Ah post-rock. It was part of the whole 90s trend when it was cool to compartmentalize music as much as possible. Thankfully those days are well over...
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 14:45
    And while Post-Rock was nice, Math Rock was my true love:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_rock

Early influences

Some rock musicians who emerged in the 1960s and '70s experimented with unusual meters and structures. Notable examples include The Beatles, Henry Cow, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, The Police, Gong, early DEVO and Pink Floyd. The music of these and others from this era sometimes had hard rock or metal leanings, but such groups were generally classified as "progressive rock".

Canadian punk rock group Nomeansno (founded in 1979 and active as of 2007) have been cited by critics[4] as a "secret influence" on math rock, predating much of the genre's development by more than a decade. Though never finding or even seeking mainstream attention, Nomeansno's music typically blend dark humor, punk energy and aggression, drastic shifts in tempo and structure and acclaimed instrumental prowess. An even more avant-garde group of the same era, Massacre featured guitarist Fred Frith and bassist Bill Laswell. With some influence from the rapid-fire energy of punk, Massacre's influential music used complex rhythmic characteristics.

In the 1990s a heavier, rhythmically complex style grew out of the broader noise rock scenes active in Chicago and other Midwestern cities, with influential groups also coming from Japan and Southern California. These groups shared influences ranging from the music of 20th century composers such as Igor Stravinsky, John Cage, and Steve Reich, as well as the chaotic free-jazz approach of John Zorn's Naked City, and critics soon dubbed the style "math rock."
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 14:49
    And now it's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_rock

Check out the progression from the 70's to 2000s and the number of notable bands in the genre. From 20 in the 1990s to about 150 in 2000. That ain't no coincidence...
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 14:57
    This is very important stuff here:

Labels

The following is a list of record labels that specialize in noise rock.

* Amphetamine Reptile Records
    * Bulb Records
    * Ecstatic Peace!
    * Gold Standard Laboratories
    * Hanson Records
    * Homestead Records
    * In the Red Records
    * Ipecac Recordings
    * Load Records
    * Narnack Records
    * Silent Explosion
    * Skin Graft Records
    * SYR
    * Three One G
    * Touch and Go Records
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 15:391 edit
    Originally posted by eamon o
    what do you mean, post rock? itslike saying "post classical"
    Just put on "Further down the spiral" by NIN. Listen to Mr. Self Destruct's remixes and you'll get the idea.

If you can hear the difference between this album and someone like the Ex-models, you're a better man than I.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 15:472 edits
    Originally posted by uzless
    Just put on "Further down the spiral" by NIN. Listen to Mr. Self Destruct's remixes and you'll get the idea.

If you can hear the difference between this album and someone like the Ex-models, you're a better man than I.
    Your ears are so worthless, you wouldn't know the difference between a fart and a whistle.

The Ex-Models have three albums which are all radically different from each other and NONE OF THEM sound like Nine Inch Nails or any song that they/he have ever written or remixed. How anyone can make that comparison in such a sweeping fashion is beyond stupidity.

And by the way, Zombie Girl is TERRIBLE.
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 16:11
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Your ears are so worthless, you wouldn't know the difference between a fart and a whistle.

The Ex-Models have three albums which are all radically different from each other and NONE OF THEM sound like Nine Inch Nails or any song that they/he have ever written or remixed. How anyone can make that comparison in such a sweeping fashion is beyond stupidity.

And by the way, Zombie Girl is TERRIBLE.
    Zombie Girl, like alot of bands, only have a few good songs.

Go Zombie
    Bleeder (Industrial remix Version)
    Creepy Crawler

The rest are not good. The dude from Icon of Coil is running this band.
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 16:18
    A treasure from the post rock movement

YouTube
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 16:20
    Originally posted by Seitse
    A treasure from the post rock movement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0A7dtdc-nU
    JESUS that is CREEPY.

I couldn't get past one minute.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree