1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 May '09 06:03
    Prince. Miles. Zappa.

Iconic. Prolific. Inimitable. But unable to properly sieve and edit their copious output, one and all.

Or are we better off for having the sheer quantity from which we ourselves can sieve and edit the quality that we seek and need?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    19 May '09 06:05
    Miles? Yes.

Prince? Yes.

Zappa? I like "Baby Snakes". Out of that, I feel he's a little bit overrated.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 May '09 06:15
    Anybody else a little uncomfortable with the posthumous releases of Bill Evan's Trio outtakes and 'alt.versions' in humungous box sets, material that, during his lifetime, he expressly indicated he did not want released?
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    19 May '09 07:141 edit
    No, business is business.

IMHO, trying to pretend that any form of art is (and should be) deprived from its profit side is just hipsterism.

Edit. I also feel some sort of "itch" when something special "sells out" (or is sold out by others), but then my brain kicks in... it's all standard stuff after all.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 May '09 08:391 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Miles? Yes.

Prince? Yes.

Zappa? I like "Baby Snakes". Out of that, I feel he's a little bit overrated.
    Hush your mouth!

Prince = overrated
    Miles = possible
    Zappa = Yes, definitely
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    19 May '09 08:42
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Hush your mouth!

Prince = overrated
    Miles = possible
    Zappa = Yes, definitely
    Careful, I've heard rumours that if you deny the holliness of Prince you may lose all groove while you sleep.

You'd wake up then, one morning, turned into Rush Limbaugh. And a life without mojo is a life not worth living!
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 May '09 08:53
    Careful, I've heard rumours that if you deny the holliness of Prince you may lose all groove while you sleep.

You'd wake up then, one morning, turned into Rush Limbaugh. And a life without mojo is a life not worth living!
    Prince Shmince. My mojo was destroyed years before I learnt to ignore the purple-clad dwarf with the nasal problems.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    19 May '09 09:06
    Prince Shmince. My mojo was destroyed years before I learnt to ignore the purple-clad dwarf with the nasal problems.
    Oh my goodness, 99% of the straight male population between 35 and 45 owns its most precious weekend memories to Purple Rain!
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 May '09 09:20
    Oh my goodness, 99% of the straight male population between 35 and 45 owns its most precious weekend memories to Purple Rain!
    Just more evidence that most people are:

1) actually bisexuals in denial

2) without real taste
  10. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    19 May '09 09:261 edit
    Just more evidence that most people are:

1) actually bisexuals in denial

2) without real taste
    Everyday I learn something new.

So, claiming Zappa is a genius automatically converts me in a person with good taste in music? Moreover, am I bisexual because I made love under the sweet, sweet influence of Prince's tunes?

Great! So after my first daughter, 'Moon Unit', I will name my next kid 'Prince Zappa'. Then I'll shag my 40+, bald, fat neighbor, Harry, and I'll be the coolest being in the world.

Thanks!

Edit. Jokes aside, Zappa is cool. It's just not my top 10.
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 May '09 10:26
    Who the hell is Miles?
  12. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    19 May '09 10:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    Prince. Miles. Zappa.

Iconic. Prolific. Inimitable. But unable to properly sieve and edit their copious output, one and all.

Or are we better off for having the sheer quantity from which we ourselves can sieve and edit the quality that we seek and need?
    Not sure I get you here. There have ben posthumous releases by Miles, Monk amd Trane that have been incredible.

In the right hands, meaning being notivated by quality rather than straight greed, I have no problems.

If I'm a big fan of a musician I'm happy to see new releases of those I enjoy...if it's lousy then so be it.

You could add Hendrix to that list as well....he had pst-death releases of music that was edited and redone with new musicians added. That kind of bugs me. If it works does it bother you?
  13. Germany
    Moves
    19 May '09 17:31
    Miles and Zappa are amongst my favourites, but I don't like Prince much. Admittedly, I hardly know any of his stuff.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 May '09 17:32
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Not sure I get you here.
    I think I sodded it up by bringing Bill Evans into it.
  15. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    19 May '09 19:301 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Prince. Miles. Zappa.

Prince is hit and miss for me, but when he hits man! I'll have to agree with seiste that I owe a great night at the ol' roller skating rink to Prince and the Revolution.(ahh Misty....)
    Zappa to me is a force that just has to be there. You may not always like it but it always makes you think.
    Miles Davis, what can I say, at one point in my life I worshiped him like a Greek God. In my mind he is the most creative musical force in the 20th century. At one point almost all musicians had to go play with his band before they could do their own thing. He started out playing Bebop with Parker on his first album and ended up trying hip hop on his last 60 years later. He changed musical history 4 times in my mind and Never was really limited to Jazz as a style. To my knowledge he only went back to play an old style once in his life(damn you Quincey). The only stuff I don't like of his is when Marcus Miller took over production in the '80's. But hey it was the 80's, everybody was experimenting with bad music.

Ahh ok, sorry. Long rant short... we are blessed by anything Miles chose to release.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree