Originally posted by darvlay
    Touche.
    What does this have to do with the French? 😠
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 16:28
    P has some good songs. His stuff may not fit the style of today's music but it stands on its own. You just have to be in the right mood.
  3. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 06:593 edits
    since my OP, i've really got back into this. i've been listening a lot to stuff like The Meters, James Brown, and Funkadelic over past months, and i can hear how Prince has taken something from each of these (and others, no doubt), added an element of disco, and made something all his own. in fact, now that i've spent time listening to more funk/soul, i think i appreciate him in a different way than before. plus, his lyrics may sound at first like it's all just 'let's get it on, mama' (which is fine insofar as it goes), but they actually have some depth, i think.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 07:33
    The black album was not bad.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 15:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    by British, you mean those that dont go in for tacky and glittery cow-horns on the front of pink Cadillacs covered with furry leopard skin seats?
    Now Robbie..don't talk so bad about my favorite car.....Lol.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 19:391 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Now Robbie..don't talk so bad about my favorite car.....Lol.
    hey my Texan brother, i thought that you liked them ford mustangs? then again i can picture you driving in one of those things wid the cowhorns up front, the allman brothers playing in the background, tipping your cowboy hat and callin everybody mam and sir, its awesomeness! if i was not so prudish and was not endowed with a European sense of taste bordering on the conservative, i could join you!
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 19:47
    hey my Texan brother, i thought that you liked them ford mustangs? then again i can picture you driving in one of those things wid the cowhorns up front, the allman brothers playing in the background, tipping your cowboy hat and callin everybody mam and sir, its awesomeness! if i was not so prudish and was not endowed with a European sense of taste bordering on the conservative, i could join you!
    Well come on over...Would you believe at least every couple years I see a Cadi with horns on the hood..I'm not kidding.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 02:451 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Well come on over...Would you believe at least every couple years I see a Cadi with horns on the hood..I'm not kidding.
    i believe you my friend! what is the story from the States, does Prince still profess to be one of Jehovahs Witnesses? Here there was a two page spread in The Guardian newspaper detailing his life and his beliefs.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 10:39
    i believe you my friend! what is the story from the States, does Prince still profess to be one of Jehovahs Witnesses? Here there was a two page spread in The Guardian newspaper detailing his life and his beliefs.
    That's the last I heard about him. So far nothing else that says one way or the other.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 09:43
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    since my OP, i've really got back into this. i've been listening a lot to stuff like The Meters, James Brown, and Funkadelic over past months, and i can hear how Prince has taken something from each of these (and others, no doubt), added an element of disco, and made something all his own. in fact, now that i've spent time listening to more funk/soul, i thi ...[text shortened]... on, mama' (which is fine insofar as it goes), but they actually have some depth, i think.
    His lyrics are some kind of bizarre combination of the spiritual and the carnal; shows some kind of personal struggle, I think. Maybe that explains his conversion to JW.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 10:36
    I had friends who were big fans of Prince, but despite his alleged competency with various musical instruments, to me he always looked and sounded pretentious and shallow - even in the '80s!

I do remember being arm in arm with said friends and drunkenly singing "tonight we're gonna party like it's 1999" at several New Year's events though, so he obviously reached me at some level.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:29
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    His lyrics are some kind of bizarre combination of the spiritual and the carnal; shows some kind of personal struggle, I think. Maybe that explains his conversion to JW.
    i think after watching the purple rain movie, although its so long ago now, it was partly the death of his father that had such a profound effect, perhaps he was filled with joy at the prospect of the resurrection, but who can tell?
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 22:29
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Anyone who can't get into Prince just a little bit likely has no soul or is probably British.
    Probably French , or French Canadian [ an even bigger chip on their shoulders ] i would guess !!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 23:161 edit
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Probably French , or French Canadian [ an even bigger chip on their shoulders ] i would guess !!
    yes it probably because they wish they were English????????
  15. Germany
    Moves
    16 Nov '09 18:49
    i think after watching the purple rain movie, although its so long ago now, it was partly the death of his father that had such a profound effect, perhaps he was filled with joy at the prospect of the resurrection, but who can tell?
    I was -1 years old when it came out, but I don't expect the movie to be any good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree