1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    18 May '09 17:10
    Hello. I would like to know (in brief, I don't want to take too much of your time, in case you are willing to help) some most notable composers and compositions through the 20th century classical music for piano. I am not interested in cycles as much as in one-movement pieces. (written neo-classicaly or in some avantgarde style). Tonal and atonal, from aleotorics to modern polyphony, from twelve note system to tonal lyric pieces, all informations are welcome and highly appreciated. I did some research online but from my experience I know that in this way I could get more quality information.

Thanks in advance.
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    18 May '09 20:39
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Hello. I would like to know (in brief, I don't want to take too much of your time, in case you are willing to help) some most notable composers and compositions through the 20th century classical music for piano. I am not interested in cycles as much as in one-movement pieces. (written neo-classicaly or in some avantgarde style). Tonal and atonal, from aleo ...[text shortened]... experience I know that in this way I could get more quality information.

Thanks in advance.
    Hindemith wrote good piano music, as did Gershwin.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    18 May '09 21:021 edit
    John Cage, definately.
    Olivier Messiaen wrote some great organ pieces, if you're not that picky. (don't know if he made any good piano music)
    And Erik Satie, though he is late 19th/early 20th century - same for Debussy and Ravel.
    Then there's the minimalist school as well, of course, Pärt, Reich, Glass, etc. (though I'm not sure how much piano works Reich and Glass have made, I haven't heard that much of their stuff)
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 May '09 22:18
    Hello. I would like to know (in brief, I don't want to take too much of your time, in case you are willing to help) some most notable composers and compositions through the 20th century classical music for piano. I am not interested in cycles as much as in one-movement pieces. (written neo-classicaly or in some avantgarde style). Tonal and atonal, from aleo ...[text shortened]... experience I know that in this way I could get more quality information.

Thanks in advance.
    Have to mention Morton Feldman's late piano pieces:
    "For Bunita Marcus"

"Triadic Memories"

Sublimely beautiful.
  5. At the Revolution
    Moves
    19 May '09 01:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    John Cage, definately.
    Olivier Messiaen wrote some great organ pieces, if you're not that picky. (don't know if he made any good piano music)
    And Erik Satie, though he is late 19th/early 20th century - same for Debussy and Ravel.
    Then there's the minimalist school as well, of course, Pärt, Reich, Glass, etc. (though I'm not sure how much piano works Reich and Glass have made, I haven't heard that much of their stuff)
    I forgot Satie. He's good too. Can't say the same for the others though. I loathe minimalism with a passion.
  6. The Hague
    Moves
    19 May '09 07:51
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    John Cage, definately.
    Messiaen wrote great piano music. The stuff I'm familiar with (Vingt Regards, Catalogue d'Oiseaux) is quite hard though.
    Check out Shostakovich's 24 Preludes or some of his Preludes & Fugues.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    19 May '09 17:44
    Originally posted by davaniel
    Messiaen wrote great piano music. The stuff I'm familiar with (Vingt Regards, Catalogue d'Oiseaux) is quite hard though.
    Check out Shostakovich's 24 Preludes or some of his Preludes & Fugues.
    Yeah, Shostakovich is pretty good.
  8. At the Revolution
    Moves
    21 May '09 00:53
    Rachmaninoff.
  9. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    21 May '09 21:09
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Rachmaninoff.
    Let me correct myself... 1950 an onward.. 🙂
  10. At the Revolution
    Moves
    22 May '09 01:19
    Let me correct myself... 1950 an onward.. 🙂
    Oh. Ives' later work, and Copeland.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree