1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 18:17
    In my unending quest for new sounds, I've recently moved on from the old Blues greats like Buddy Guy, Albert King and RL Burnside and moved into Reggae, in particular the older original stuff (and beyond the obvious Bob Marley/Jimmy Cliff stuff). No Shaggy or Sean Paul stuff here either please.

Anyone a fan of the old stuff? Any fav bands/songs? Taken a good liking to stuff like,

Night Nurse - Gregory Issacs
    Marcus Garvey - Burning Spear
    Everything I Own - Ken Boothe
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 18:303 edits
    Don Drummond
    Scratch Perry
    Toots and the Maytals
    Althea and Donna

If you want a couple of albums to listen to find the Harder They Come OST or any compilation from Studio One Records. http://www.jahsonic.com/StudioOne.html

Reggae = Deep Waters I haven't come close to fully exploring yet
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 18:33
    BTW, this makes me laugh:

"In my unending quest for new sounds, I've recently moved on from the old Blues greats like Buddy Guy, Albert King and RL Burnside and moved into Reggae"
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 18:44
    Originally posted by darvlay
    BTW, this makes me laugh:

"In my unending quest for [b]new
    sounds, I've recently moved on from the old Blues greats like Buddy Guy, Albert King and RL Burnside and moved into Reggae"[/b]
    it WAS tongue in cheek.

New in the sense that it's stuff i never really listened to. I've already done the old country stuff, opera, classical, show tunes, blues, bluegrass, and surf...so now its reggae.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 18:46
    Don Drummond
    Scratch Perry
    Toots and the Maytals
    Althea and Donna

Have the first 3...will check out the Althea & Donna.

Tkx
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 18:551 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    Have the first 3...will check out the Althea & Donna.

Tkx
    Check out Studio One stuff, dude. The compilations are great.

Especially Studio One Rockers
    http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=176
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 20:05
    Check out Studio One stuff, dude. The compilations are great.

Especially Studio One Rockers
    http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=176
    I have about half of the songs on album 1. I'll make sure i get the rest. Be interesting to check out some of the larger used cd shacks to find stuff by studio one cheaper than the 20 bux on the website.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 20:12
    Reggae not so much, but I like dub reggae. Check out Lee Perry, Augustus Pablo and King Tubby if you want some old stuff.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 20:12
    I have about half of the songs on album 1. I'll make sure i get the rest. Be interesting to check out some of the larger used cd shacks to find stuff by studio one cheaper than the 20 bux on the website.
    I saw a bunch at BMV Books on Bloor for less than $10 ea.
  10. Joined
    01 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 20:17
    Don Carlos
  11. Joined
    01 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 20:31
    Expand your experience by introducing dub and ska...
  12. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 21:58
    In my unending quest for new sounds, I've recently moved on from the old Blues greats like Buddy Guy, Albert King and RL Burnside and moved into Reggae, in particular the older original stuff (and beyond the obvious Bob Marley/Jimmy Cliff stuff). No Shaggy or Sean Paul stuff here either please.

Anyone a fan of the old stuff? Any fav bands/songs? Take ...[text shortened]... ,

Night Nurse - Gregory Issacs
    Marcus Garvey - Burning Spear
    Everything I Own - Ken Boothe
    not so new anymore, but you should check out Finley Quaye first album 'Maverick a Strike' for a good blend of old and new reggae
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 22:10
    Barrington Levy and the people he collaborated with are also a good place to start.
  14. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 09:13
    dub (version) reggae is my favourite flavour - check out the pioneers like Lee "Scratch" Perry and King Tubby - also Mad Professor and Jah Shaka.

from the UK, Dub Syndicate (especially 'Stoned Immaculate'😉, and other acts on the On-U label like African Headcharge ('In Pursuit of Shashamane Land'😉...

Burning Spear did a version of Marcus Garvey called Garvey's Ghost, which is worth checking out.

newer acts like Phase Selector Sound, Dub Trio and The Hazardous Dub Company ditto.

Bill Laswell, bass player and prolific producer, has performed on and produced numerous dub discs in collaboration with many dub and reggae legends. see [url=http://music.hyperreal.org/labels/axiom/]Axiom[/url].
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 11:12
    I am Yellowman fan. Yes, it's a post-ironic, triple bluff kind of liking for him that I have, but I like him all the same. Say what you like.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree