Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. 20 Sep '08 17:55
    You can not be a nerd without going to every renn-fair that presents itself.

(Medieval times does not count)

We have one here (Ojai, CA) with a pirate theme.

I am leaving to go to it right now.

I will let you all know how the grog and gruel is.

(There is nothing like washing down your barely cooked meat on a stick with a bottle of rum. Yo ho ho!)
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Just another day
    20 Sep '08 20:16
    Originally posted by nihilismor

(There is nothing like washing down your barely cooked meat on a stick with a bottle of rum. Yo ho ho!)
    If there's a bridge, try crossing it. I've heard the wenches may accost men with kisses on such devices at Faire (not fair). Not that I had such luck myself...but I do know Faire Folk can be quite daring in such things.
  3. 21 Sep '08 01:25
    Those pirate wenches are WEIRD!

I was going to buy a fried pickle but it costs 5 dollars (not galleons.)
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    25 Sep '08 08:59
    Originally posted by nihilismor

Hi, Used to lived in Venice beach and was part of the Irish music scene around there, our band, Southwind Irish Band, played for some big audiences and smaller ones like McCabes Guitar shop in Santa Monica. Ever go there? It was our dive for a long time! Nance Covey, Karen Olsen, people like that used to work there.
    BTW, since you live in Ojai, a buddy of mine used to live in that area and I lost touch, Bill Jackson, great irish fiddler, worked for the phone company for decades. Could you look in the phone book and see if you can find him? Would appreciate it.
  5. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    25 Sep '08 10:25
    I never knew that pirates, rum and barely cooked meat on a stick were so big during the Renaissance.