1. In your face
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 12:402 edits
    Hello there. The time has come for voting. I've been putting this off as I have a nagging feeling that it is all going to go pear shaped, due to my bad planning and indecision. But let's see what happens eh?! The songs can be downloaded from GateCrasher's website: -

http://formstar.net/rhpmusic

(Thanks GC!)

Anyone here at RHP is welcome to download the music and have their say. The music is to be judged in the following categories :-

Best Instrumental Track
    Best Solo Track
    Best Dance/Electronic Track
    Best Cover Version
    Best Band
    Best Vocal Track
    Best Lyrics
    Best Overall Submission

Any song can be judged in any category that could be deemed appropriate for its genre/style etc

Obviously you can't vote for someone playing a cello in the electronic section. Just use your common sense.

Coming first in a section will award the performer 3 points, second two points and third one point.

I hope it all goes smoothly. The time scale for voting is prestty open. I will base it upon the response we get.

Happy listening.

Jim
  2. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 14:11
    So then, we'll list the top three choices in each category. Lotza listening.
  3. In your face
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 14:23
    PLease note that the above link is incorrect. It should have read: -

http://www.formstar.net/rhpmusic/
  4. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 23:42
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    PLease note that the above link is incorrect. It should have read: -

http://www.formstar.net/rhpmusic/
    LOL MUIC!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 01:481 edit
    There is some awesome music here! Kudo's to Noryls for sure! Hydraman, like friggin Tommy Emmanuel! Before I vote however, could the originators say something about their pieces? I would like to separate the originals from covers and I don't know enough about some of the tracks to do that, I am mainly talking about the instrumentals but how bout some words from all the musicians about their selections? Is it original, for one, how it was recorded, pro studio, home studio, what kind of home studio, Pro tools, Cakewalk, Nuendo, etc., maybe a word on the mikes used and the side chains, like compressors, reverbs, etc.
    For myself, High Desert and Kids in a tree are my own works, originals, High Desert a solo guitar piece and Kids has a guitar and two mandolins, I play all the tracks. I use a Dell Laptop with a firewire 410, it has two built in mike preamps which is all you need for my kind of stuff, and cakewalk V6, and M audio Protools LE. The mikes are a Rode NT1000 large diaphram Australian mike and a couple of Audio technica Pro-92A's which are small diaphram mikes, all condenser mikes. The 410 also has a phantom mike power output which is handy too, its a great little I/O. When we record our band, I have to use an 8 track I/O that is out of commission right now but I have to send it back, an RME Hammerfall, also a great I/O. The third piece of mine is Windy and Warm, a piece recorded by Doc Watson, who is a blind guitarist with about 15 grammy awards, a true american treasure. Mine is also solo. The guitars are a Takamine classic and a Washburn R305 which is a small parlor guitar reproduction, or re-issue, the original was made in 1890. Its a great little guitar. The mandolin is a Mid-Missouri Mandolin Co., usually called a Midmo, mine is an M3N model, a very good student mandolin. So thats my rig. What about the rest of you? Thanks for your participation everyone! Great music going on here! Don.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 03:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    There is some awesome music here! Kudo's to Noryls for sure! Hydraman, like friggin Tommy Emmanuel! Before I vote however, could the originators say something about their pieces? I would like to separate the originals from covers and I don't know enough about some of the tracks to do that, I am mainly talking about the instrumentals but how bout some words ...[text shortened]... bout the rest of you? Thanks for your participation everyone! Great music going on here! Don.
    Nuages was composed by Django Reinhardt. The version I recorded is my best approximation of his solo recording of the piece. I played it on a Gitane D-500 guitar, through an Audio-Technica condenser mic, into Logic Express via a Lexicon Omega DAW, mixed with various stock EQ and reverb in Logic.

The Days of Wine and Roses is a tune by Henry Mancini (notable for the Pink Panther theme). I arranged this for two guitars and one bass guitar. I played a Dean bass and an Ibanez GB hollowbody, direct into the Omega and mixed in Logic Express.

Lullaby is a tune by a modern songwriter named Jason Ross. I arranged it for two acoustic guitars, recorded and mixed as above.
  7. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 04:18
    Well I've listened to a number of them now... I'll give them all an ear later. Best of luck all.
  8. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 04:21
    "When I'm thinking of you" is an original MIDI composition, rendered in Cakewalk SONAR 6, using various Creative Xfi Soundfonts.

In "Salad Dressing" I recorded David Firth's voice work from his "Salad Fingers" Flash animations. I sliced the recordings into loops, and arranged them in Sony Acid Pro. I arranged a backing track from other percussion, instrument and sound effect loops.

Either track should only be considered for the Dance/Electronic category and Overall submission.
  9. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 07:174 edits
    All three of my songs are original. Each were recorded on a Fostex MR-8. Due to insufficient memory, I bounced whatever I had recorded onto a CD-burner and then re-recorded that back onto the MR-8 as a single track. Repeated as necessary. I used a Nady SP1 dynamic microphone for vocals and instruments, an Oscar Schmidt OG1 acoustic guitar, and an Ibanez strat-copy electric guitar. The effects used were mostly factory presets on the MR-8 (reverb and delay), although I did use a DOD FX84 "milkbox" compressor on "Sea of Glass."

A lighter was employed to create the "bee" effect on "Bees of the Invisible" by bouncing it off the strings and sliding it up and down the neck as necessary. I swiped the "field of insects" sounds from an Excelsior sound-fx CD. I don't have a bass guitar, so for "Bees" I tuned my electric as low as it could go (without the strings rattling too much). The drum effect was created using the drum pads on an older Yamaha synth and laying the reverb on thick.

There's nothing too special to report about "Sea of Glass." I tried not to overproduce that one, so it's pretty easy to distinguish the various tracks and what they are, i.e., mostly reverbed and delayed electric guitar behind vocals. The bass presence in "Sea" is supplied by my Yamaha synth.

With the exception of the guitars, almost every sound in "Beauty is Eternity" was swiped from that aforementioned Excelsior sound fx CD, i.e. the heartbeat, the birds, the submarine sonar, the ticking clocks, etc. The various voices used were from some books on tape I checked out from the library. "Even while you should think you had unquestionably caught me, behold, already you see I have escaped from you..." is from a reading of Walt Whitman's poem, "Whoever You are, Holding Me now in Hand." "Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror" is taken from a reading of Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet." The sound of traffic heard in the background, and the sound of thunder, were both happy accidents - while recording I left a window open.
  10. In your face
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 08:181 edit
    There is some awesome music here! Kudo's to Noryls for sure! Hydraman, like friggin Tommy Emmanuel! Before I vote however, could the originators say something about their pieces? I would like to separate the originals from covers and I don't know enough about some of the tracks to do that, I am mainly talking about the instrumentals but how bout some words bout the rest of you? Thanks for your participation everyone! Great music going on here! Don.
    Good shout about the cover/original thing.
    My two songs are both cover versions. One by The Waterboys, the other by The Killers. My set up is really basic. I am using a microphone out of 'The Hit Kit' (Google it). Haven't a clue what it is. I plugged that into the microphone socket on my Sound Blaster Audigy card. I captured the songs by using Groove Mechanic (a program used to convert your old vinyl into files on your hard drive). Maybe it's time I upgraded. 🙂
  11. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 13:251 edit
    I have a feeling I should know this, but I don't, sorry. Which tracks are by a band? They are all fantastic tracks. I'm enjoying listening to them. I have no idea about how music is made these days. I had assumed Bees Invisable was by a band till I read the post above my Epiphinehas.
  12. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 13:48
    Sorry, been busy. Deadline for voting, please?
  13. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 17:251 edit
    Originally posted by yo its me
    I have a feeling I should know this, but I don't, sorry. Which tracks are by a band? They are all fantastic tracks. I'm enjoying listening to them. I have no idea about how music is made these days. I had assumed Bees Invisable was by a band till I read the post above my Epiphinehas.
    Roxy again from Hydraman and Gregsflat and Starmans enteries?
  14. The sky
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 22:20
    Before I vote however, could the originators say something about their pieces? I would like to separate the originals from covers and I don't know enough about some of the tracks to do that, I am mainly talking about the instrumentals but how bout some words from all the musicians about their selections? Is it original, for one, how it was recorded, pro s ...[text shortened]... do, etc., maybe a word on the mikes used and the side chains, like compressors, reverbs, etc.
    As the title of mine says, it's the Courante from the 5th Suite for Solo Cello by J.S. Bach. It has become sort of a tradition that all my cello pieces in the music comp are in scordatura (tuning the cello in a different way than normal) - in the 5th Suite by Bach, the A-string is tuned to G (so I was playing with two G-strings...). I recorded it with my H4 Handy Recorder at home. It's unedited, apart from cutting off the bits before and after the piece and converting it to mp3.
  15. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 04:101 edit
    I've been completely insane busy, I can't believe all these great posts.

Don't Get Around Much Anymore ( Duke Ellington) Sammy Nestico arrangement> was recorded live in a state of the art college audio studio. There are no overdubs, one take. Instrumentation: me on guitar and my band Swing Shift trumpet, 2 saxes(alto & tenor), trombone, bass, drums. that's 7 of us, no piano here HA!

So Much To Say (Dave Matthews) recorded at the same place, I'm in the booth singing and playing at the same time, so it's considered live in the studio. Add background female vox, trumpet, 2 saxes (tenor & bari), keyboard instead of trombone(organ & left hand bass), drums = 7 pcs. (that's my son on the bari sax)

Badmoon's Blues: That's me on an archtop acoustic, playing in front of my Mac laptop, it's an original 12 bar blues. I laid the changes then played the melody, solo then back to the head. I'm not real techno oriented, the mic is the one in the computer, the application is called Garageband, no effects on the 2 tracks. I interpret this piece to be considered for solo, since it's just a musical platform for me to solo. Others don't agree so you can disregard this for solo if you wish, but at least consider it for original.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree