1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 01:08
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/arts/music/van-cliburn-pianist-dies-at-78.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

An American icon passed away today. Van Cliburn was an incredible pianist and great promoter of the arts in Fort Worth, TX and his international piano competition a wonderful one indeed. May he rest in peace.
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 05:40
    Van Cliburn - Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No 1 - was my introduction to classical music, a great experience.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 12:461 edit
    Right hand, of course, delightful stuff. Always found his left hand work ever slightly stilted, though. Just a tad. Over all, wonderful.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 13:55
    Originally posted by lolof
    Van Cliburn - Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No 1 - was my introduction to classical music, a great experience.
    He certainly played this piece well for the Russians to give him first prize in a competition. Tchaikovsky's 1st piano concerto was certainly a great way to get intorduced to the joys of classical. Mine was through a compilation record of the best of Liberace which included an condesnsed version of this, plus Rhapsody in Blue, Padewwski's minuet and Mozart's Marccia alla Turka, excerpted from one of his piano sonatas. I was smitten and had to learn more. It was quite shocking to me learning that the Tchaikovsky piano concerto #1 was considerably longer and more brilliant. But I digress. Van Cliburn also played Debussy with poetic brilliance and a depth of feeling even others considered greater than he at the time could hardly match.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree