1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Nov '09 10:44
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Can you tell me more about the models evident in these pieces? I've read some Moorcock and have actually played the Elric book RPG, which doesn't really differ from the usual AD&D setup at all, though that's down more to market forces than a good translation of the author into the game.
    With Elric, I suppose there's just more scope for weirdness. Also, being an aspect of Eternal Champion, he sometimes has access to other parts of the Multiverse, eg. shooting down German bombers with his dragons ...

Viriconium: deep future, post-post holocaust type scenario, weird beasts, mutants, weaponry that nobody understands but packs a lethal punch, decadent atmosphere, alien threats ...

China Mieville: kind of like a much better Iain M. Banks with eldritch weirdness added on. Too much variety to nail down in one go though.

Le Guin: you know.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Nov '09 20:081 edit
    I will do some looking into all the suggestions here, when I get a chance.

I was aiming to talk more about European folklore than Asian or American, though in retrospect that is instantly a source for other potential styles of lore. My question would be how successful these types are in the gaming market when stacked against their European counterparts ...[text shortened]... ally for the games or are they based in a real indigenous folklore of their countries of origin?
    If you're trying to sell a product to as many people as possible, the unwashed masses seem most comfortable with the Tolkein/AD&D model. You're drifting into the realm of intelligent, educated people with these ideas of yours, and that cuts out a lot of your customer base.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Nov '09 20:09
    Can you tell me more about the models evident in these pieces? I've read some Moorcock and have actually played the Elric book RPG, which doesn't really differ from the usual AD&D setup at all, though that's down more to market forces than a good translation of the author into the game.
    The game Stormbringer is much, much different than AD&D. Check it out if you can find a copy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree