1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 18:20
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Joy Division, 'Atmosphere'
    If I had to choose one and only one...that would be it.
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 18:213 edits
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Originally partner was a term to describe anyone in a partnership, some people don't bother about segregative sexual terminology. She's more than a girlfriend and we're not married, so it's an appropriate term.
    Some people don't bother about "segregative sexual terminology" ANYMORE, is what you really mean. I'd disagree about girlfriend/boyfirend being segregative though.

So, when did the term girlfriend lose its power? What has it been reduced to...just a girl who is your friend? Back in my day we just used to call those girls "friends". Does this mean that I am now supposed to call a female friend my girlfriend? Or does girlfriend now just mean some girl i'm banging that i happen to like but am not in love with and isn't my wife?

The truth here, i suspect, is that people think by using "partner" instead of "girlfriend" it makes them modern, or up to date, politically correct, or even cool/smart.

The reality though is that this started, and it is true, with gay people needing a term to call their significant other because wife/husband didn't work. Wife/husband had hetro connotations. Partner didn't.

So, again, why do hetro's call their significant other, partner?
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 01:01
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Pagliacci

Then 'Hurt' by NIN

Then 'Everybody hurts' by REM
    Which aria from Pagliacci? Or do you mean the whole opera?
  4. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 02:47
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Rather the Johnny Cash version in this context...
    Here's another great sad song from Cash's American IV: The Man Comes Around-

I Hung My Head
    YouTube
  5. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 02:18
    Originally posted by Sunburnt
    Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush - Don't give up

:'(
    Excellent choices!
  6. lookin for a way out
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 21:181 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    Some people don't bother about "segregative sexual terminology" ANYMORE, is what you really mean. I'd disagree about girlfriend/boyfirend being segregative though.

So, when did the term girlfriend lose its power? What has it been reduced to...just a girl who is your friend? Back in my day we just used to call those girls "friends". Does this rtner didn't.

I use the word "partner" because "boyfriend" sounds a bit silly when you are talking about a 50 year old man.
    He's a Geordie and refers to me as "our lass", which I don't have any objections as it's a term of endearment.
    What does it matter anyway? 🙂

Edit: Nearly forgot. Sad songs -"Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro. I had a pup that I named Honey at that time.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 23:36

So, when did the term girlfriend lose its power? What has it been reduced to...just a girl who is your friend? Back in my day we just used to call those girls "friends". Does this ...[text shortened]... rtner didn't.

Well maybe over there, I don't see it like that in the UK.

Either way, as I pointed out before, girlfriend is too casual to describe someone you're in a committed relationship with and, since we're not married, partner is more appropriate. I also don't think it's the trend you make it out to be.
  8. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    17 Jan '10 09:36
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Franz Schubert's song cycle "Die Winterreise"
    especially the last one, Der Leiermann
  9. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    17 Jan '10 09:421 edit
    the British folksong, Blow the Wind Southerly
    Go to: YouTube&feature=player_embedded#
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 11:12
    Syd Barrett, 'Vegetable Man' -- super sad, in a different sense.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 11:59
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    the British folksong, Blow the Wind Southerly
    Go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf2w2zMNvzE&feature=player_embedded#
    No song there, but a hilarious link! 😀 Try this instead: YouTube&feature=related

Speaking of old English songs, Dowland must certainly be mentioned: YouTube
  12. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 21:24
    Seems I've been missing the boat on this one...

Jeff Buckley "Hallelujah" - YouTube

I've heard a few versions of this Leonard Cohen classic, but somehow had missed this one until today. So sad and beautiful.
  13. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    30 Jan '10 15:24
    "Taps"
  14. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    30 Jan '10 16:02
    Mood Indigo by The Duke.

Duke said the song is about a little girl who was in love with a neighborhood boy. She would wait at her window waiting simply to see him. Then one day the little boy never came around again.
  15. Joined
    13 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 21:49

So, when did the term girlfriend lose its power? What has it been reduced to...just a girl who is your friend? Back in my day we just used to call those girls "friends". Does this ...[text shortened]... rtner didn't.

I Just call mine Boss

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree