1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 20:51
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    What happened in Estonia was terrible under both communism and Nazism. Is there an equivalent novel about what happened in Stalin's petri dish of Ukraine? Stalin killed at least 7M Ukrainians before the Nazis got their own turn.
    I don't know of any Ukrainian novel that addresses this theme, but it's possible that such a novel exists and hasn't been translated. Actually I'm writing this in Ukraine's most patriotic city, Lviv, on Ukrainian independence day! The city has been filled this evening with people proudly wearing national dress; the Ukrainian flag is waving all over the place; the statues of Greek gods on the market square are wrapped in Ukrainian costume. And tomorrow night I will go to see Ukraine's national opera, Cossacks in Exile!
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 13:19
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    I don't know of any Ukrainian novel that addresses this theme, but it's possible that such a novel exists and hasn't been translated. Actually I'm writing this in Ukraine's most patriotic city, Lviv, on Ukrainian independence day! The city has been filled this evening with people proudly wearing national dress; the Ukrainian flag is waving all over the pla ...[text shortened]... costume. And tomorrow night I will go to see Ukraine's national opera, Cossacks in Exile!
    I bet the Ukrainian Opera is fabulous! I have friends in the Ukrainian Club of Dallas. Lovely people. My eyeglass providers are also Ukrainian and are delightful people. I am sure you'll have a great time!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree