1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 09:21
    1. The film

Let's face it, it's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen all over again, innit?

2. The fictional character

Any comments welcome.
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '09 05:49
    Not sure I would have gone with Robert Downey Jnr as Holmes. I would have gone for English actor David Morrissey.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Oct '09 07:54
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    Not sure I would have gone with Robert Downey Jnr as Holmes. I would have gone for English actor David Morrissey.
    Presumably Downey's experience as a junkie qualifies him as Holmes, although I don't see the appeal.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '09 13:29
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Presumably Downey's experience as a junkie qualifies him as Holmes, although I don't see the appeal.
    Basil Rathbone is the definitive Sherlock Holmes, all others somehow fail to capture that Victorian ambience of great asylums, experts in various fields of study and opium houses.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Oct '09 14:36
    Why not go with Hugh Laurie? House is, after all, a thinly veiled Sherlock Holmes.
  6. Joined
    28 Sep '04
    Moves
    21 Oct '09 19:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    28 Sep '04
    Moves
    21 Oct '09 19:41

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Oct '09 19:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Basil Rathbone is the definitive Sherlock Holmes, all others somehow fail to capture that Victorian ambience of great asylums, experts in various fields of study and opium houses.
    I always preferred Jeremy Brett, he captures the intensity, aloofness and drug-addled side of Holmes excellently.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Oct '09 21:44
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I always preferred Jeremy Brett, he captures the intensity, aloofness and drug-addled side of Holmes excellently.
    Jeremy Brett was so good that his interpretation became almost synonymous with the public's view of Sherlock Holmes.

I'm surprised you prefer him. I'd expect you to go for some less obvious choice.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Oct '09 22:05
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Jeremy Brett was so good that his interpretation became almost synonymous with the public's view of Sherlock Holmes.

I'm surprised you prefer him. I'd expect you to go for some less obvious choice.
    Really? I didn't know that, I thought everyone usually went for Basil Rathbone. I guess he's just the guy who matched my mind's view of Holmes when I was young. I read all the books at school, years before I ever saw him on telly.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 08:31
    1. The film

Let's face it, it's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen all over again, innit?
    Did you see it?
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 08:322 edits
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Really? I didn't know that, I thought everyone usually went for Basil Rathbone. I guess he's just the guy who matched my mind's view of Holmes when I was young. I read all the books at school, years before I ever saw him on telly.
    Ah... Maybe it's different in the UK, because in Portugal the Brett series were the most popular. I guess I haven't talked about Sherlock Holmes much since I'm here (although I live right next to his "home" ). 😀
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 16:01
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Did you see it?
    I've seen the League, not Holmes. I've never seen Holmes on screen at all, in fact ... culturally deprived ... Anyhow, the Wikipedia page on the new film makes it seem Ritchie's cribbed a few ideas from the film based on Moore's comic book.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree