1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 19:28
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Oh yes, another advantage of e-books (one that I didn't think of because so far I don't have a problem reading small print).
    I bet they use batteries or need to be plugged in.
  2. The sky
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 20:07
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I bet they use batteries or need to be plugged in.
    Of course, but from what I have read, they need very little power.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 20:35
    I'd probably use e-books in the same way as I use mp3s. Especially when travelling.
  4. ALG
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 18:59
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No. You can't read computer text in the bathtub. Nor can you write on it.
    I can write on my computer.
  5. ALG
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 19:03
    Aren't you ๐Ÿ™„ if you read a long time in an e-book?
  6. The sky
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 19:35
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    Aren't you ๐Ÿ™„ if you read a long time in an e-book?
    Why would you be? It sounds like e-paper doesn't look much different from normal paper, so I don't see the issue.
  7. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 02:11
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    Richard Cohen, a columnist for the Washington Post, laments the future passing of books, when they will one day be replaced by the Kindle, a device that lets readers download books. It's no longer a question of can we replace all books with computer text, but should we? I vote no.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/viewpoints/stories/DN-cohen_11edi.ART.State.Edition1.4d65683.html
    I think there is a time and a place for the kindle. I would have liked it when I was in college, they seem pretty good for travel. I like the newspaper delivery available. But for lesiure reading , I will keep the knockaround pbs.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 14:38
    Richard Cohen, a columnist for the Washington Post, laments the future passing of books, when they will one day be replaced by the Kindle, a device that lets readers download books. It's no longer a question of can we replace all books with computer text, but should we? I vote no.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/viewpoints/stories/DN-cohen_11edi.ART.State.Edition1.4d65683.html
    Just think, once governments used to burn books to control public thought but now all they need is a really neat computer program to change them around a bit or delete them with one push of the button.
  9. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    27 Oct '08 15:192 edits
    It would be the end of libraies. Which would save the taxpayors a lot of money.

I'm always reading a book or two. I feel lost if I don't have one going, panicky, almost. But if they all went digital it would certainly interfere negatively.

Cohen is a smart fellow but I think that we'll simply have books in both hard and digital formats. If just the new disposable novels all went digital it wouldn't hurt quite so bad.

This isn't a Ray Bradbury scenario. If they made them all digital it wouldn't also mean the burning of existing books.

Makes me think - If I'm lucky I'll live another 25 to 30 years. If I'm luckier I won't live any longer than that.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 11:10
    Originally posted by Pawn Qween
    Agreed. ๐Ÿ™‚ And I like to read a book in bed, I can't do that with an ebook.
    yes you can.

it's all about progress people. it's not like anyone miss the clay sumerian tablets or the papyrus.

if they invent a reader that won't fry my brain and eyes while reading it, right on. why chop trees just so we can have the pleasure of turning the page and have it fall apart once it reaches a certain age?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 18:57

I vote no too, but they have to earn their own keep. Personally I find it
    more relaxing reading a good book than I do reading from my laptop
    or my desktop, easier on my eyes too. I had a 12 hour flight once and
    listened to Jurassic Park on the way, that was okay, but reading it was
    better.
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 18:591 edit
    What's your favorite "bowel book"?
    Bathroom Book 1-3
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 19:01
    Originally posted by darvlay
    As do I. I prefer to buy all my books used and in compact paperback form. They are cheaper, have more character and are better to lend to others (my friends have a hard time returning things). Plus, there's nothing more satisfying then finding a used book for a fraction of the price it would cost to buy new.

Newer releases of books, to me, seem far more oversized and overpriced then they used to/need to be.
    I like that too, except some books I keep in hard back and do not
    loan out. I gave away the Lord of the Rings several times before I
    bought a hard back set.

Have you bought and sold 'a' book several times?
    For me the one I can never keep in the house is,
    Mere Christianity by CS Lewis
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 19:03
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    I can write on my computer.
    Yea, but you have to be careful cleaning up the mess when you try
    to erase it. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 05:41

I don't think books are going away anytime soon. Maybe 50-100 years from now, but too many people want them. Kind of like playing correspondence chess with post cards. It will go away one day, but it will die a very slow death.
    ๐Ÿ˜

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree