1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 16:07
    " Young Girl" by Gary Pucket and the Union Gap would never fly today. "Run for you life" by the Beatles would be banned from any air play. What are some other songs that could not be done today ?
  2. Pepperland
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 00:10
    Originally posted by buckky
    " Young Girl" by Gary Pucket and the Union Gap would never fly today. "Run for you life" by the Beatles would be banned from any air play. What are some other songs that could not be done today ?
    "Under my thumb" by the Stones no doubt would draw condemnation from all quarters had it been composed today, I'd imagine it'd be interpreted as an anthem to machismo which glorified the submission of women.

There are also a bunch of songs out there whose lyrics seem worryingly stalkerish, perhaps best exemplified by the Police's "every breath you take".
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 18:42
    "Ain't nobody's business" as sung by Billie Holiday:

...But I'd rather my man would hit me
    Than follow him to jump up and quit me
    Ain't nobody's business if I do
    I swear I won't call no copper
    If I'm beat up by my papa
    Ain't nobody's business if I do
  4. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 20:25
    Yeah, This song would never fly today:

YouTube

GRANNY.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 08:40
    Frank Zappa's "Magdalena", from the Just Another Band From L.A. album 1972, written by Howard Kaylan and Frank Zappa. Actually, there maybe a few other Zappa titles that'd qualify for a "Er... no thank you anymore, 2011" Award
  6. Germany
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 12:40
    I read an article about the Dire Straits song "Money For Nothing" recently. Apparently it's banned from Canadian radio stations because of its use of a certain derogatory term for homosexuals.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 14:30
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    There are also a bunch of songs out there whose lyrics seem worryingly stalkerish, perhaps best exemplified by the Police's "every breath you take".
    Erm... you do realise that that was intentional? Including the "worrying" bit? It's not supposed to be a glorification.

Richard
  8. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 16:12
    The Stranglers, Golden Brown, from the 80's...a song 'celebrating' heroin. Great keyboards mind...
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 19:40
    (You're) Having My Baby by Paul Anka caused quite a stir while I was in high school as there were groups insisting the "My" be changed to "Our". I thought it was quite silly. A couple of songs, "Every Breath You Take" and "I Will Be Your Shadow in the Street" would definitely be creepy stalker tunes today. "I Get Around" with the lyric "it wouldn't be right to leave YOUR BEST GIRL home on a Saturday night" would be met with much disapproval by women for sure.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 12:10
    "Stinkfist" by Tool was origonally banned from Wallmart because of it's suggestiveness.

Tool no doubt have gained a great deal by being "in your face" in their early years, and then only putting out an album every 4 or 5 years as opposes to someone like Zappa whopumped 'em out every few months for awhile.
  11. weedhopper
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 15:46
    I find Tool unlistenable.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 21:43
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I find Tool unlistenable.
    Blasphemy!!
    Remove that man from the site immediately!!
    ( 😉 )
  13. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 05:47
    My head hurts, my feet stink and I don't love Jesus - Jerry Jeff Walker
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Sep '11 20:58
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Blasphemy!!
    Remove that man from the site immediately!!
    ( 😉 )
    I did try--really. A young co-worker insisted I give them a listen and I did. I'm old and a curmudgeon, but the problem was I couldn't understand a word of the lyrics. Maybe it's a generation gap thing.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Sep '11 22:02
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I did try--really. A young co-worker insisted I give them a listen and I did. I'm old and a curmudgeon, but the problem was I couldn't understand a word of the lyrics. Maybe it's a generation gap thing.
    Maybe. I find they are one of those bands that once you get a taste for them, nothing else satisfies.

BTW I've started playing "Wish You Were Here" on the streets again 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree