1. weedhopper
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 04:27
    I saw an ad last month for this in the local paper, so I went. It seems there are other Soc's Cafes around the country that meet and discuss the many questions that vex us so---a lot like these forums! I just wondered if anyone else has been to a Cafe meeting and what you thought of it?
  2. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 04:55
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I saw an ad last month for this in the local paper, so I went. It seems there are other Soc's Cafes around the country that meet and discuss the many questions that vex us so---a lot like these forums! I just wondered if anyone else has been to a Cafe meeting and what you thought of it?
    I attended one here and was disappointed. People gave their opinions but could not back their opinions up with arguments. Further, those who showed up all held substantially the same views about the topic. So, I was put in the familiar but socially awkward position of calling people out, asking for their reasons, raising objections, etc. I told myself it was what Socrates would have done, but this was cold comfort.
  3. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 18:39
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I attended one here and was disappointed. People gave their opinions but could not back their opinions up with arguments. Further, those who showed up all held substantially the same views about the topic. So, I was put in the familiar but socially awkward position of calling people out, asking for their reasons, raising objections, etc. I told myself it was what Socrates would have done, but this was cold comfort.
    Something similar happened to me a while ago; when I first moved to Montreal, one of my neighbours was trying to start something like this, and the results were similar. However, I managed to have my belief that alcohol is a cure for socially awkward situations empirically reinforced by the lack of an invitation to subsequent meetings.
  4. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 00:08
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    I managed to have my belief that alcohol is a cure for socially awkward situations empirically reinforced by the lack of an invitation to subsequent meetings.
    That is pretty funny.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 10:44
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    Something similar happened to me a while ago; when I first moved to Montreal, one of my neighbours was trying to start something like this, and the results were similar. However, I managed to have my belief that alcohol is a cure for socially awkward situations empirically reinforced by the lack of an invitation to subsequent meetings.
    Actually, I heard it was because of your poor taste in hats.
  6. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 14:361 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Actually, I heard it was because of your poor taste in hats.
    😲!

If my taste in hats were a horseman of the Apocalypse, I suppose it would be Pestilence.
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 16:35
    Unfortunately, most people seem to know only how to argue, not debate, and the ignorant are always experts.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 11:13
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Unfortunately, most people seem to know only how to argue, not debate, and the ignorant are always experts.
    Just ask them.....
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 11:13
    So what was the topic? Atheism?
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 21:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So what was the topic? Atheism?
    Friendship and whether there is a natural desire among humans for intimacy. Relatedly, people talked about the nature of true intimacy. The topic was selected by vote.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 02:22
    Friendship and whether there is a natural desire among humans for intimacy. Relatedly, people talked about the nature of true intimacy. The topic was selected by vote.
    Did you get laid?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 03:15
    I wouldn't have thought that would be a subject of debate. Of course people desire intimacy, most people anyway. The only debate here would be the people who don't desire intimacy, is it 1/10th of a percent or 1 percent.....
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 13:35
    I wouldn't have thought that would be a subject of debate. Of course people desire intimacy, most people anyway. The only debate here would be the people who don't desire intimacy, is it 1/10th of a percent or 1 percent.....
    Hi all, greetings from Athens, Greece🙂

Socrates -Plato- used to consider “intimacy” as a fractal of Love, and Love as “…a great supernatural power (~daemon); …this power is emerging between the gods and the human beings and is the means through which the actions and the thoughts of the gods pass to the people and vice versa; people are able to communicate (~through Love) with the gods through deep meditation, while the gods inform the people about their will (~through Love) by sending them visions and also by repaying them for their actions. This daemon fills the Void providing that the universe will be hold together”.

People, all the people, they feel a natural desire for intimacy, which many times transforms into something else; the pure nature of intimacy/ friendship/ love seems to be a situation where egoism is superseded by the Void; maybe that’s why this subject were considered appropriate of debate;

Amici sumus, best regards🙂
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 05:14
    I do not desire intimacy. That would require being in proximity to one or more,,,,people.
  15. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 06:24
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I do not desire intimacy. That would require being in proximity to one or more,,,,people.
    You share a planet with 6 billion+ people. Your desire for proximity or not is a foregone conclusion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree