Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. Standard member yo its me
    watch the acid...
    18 Jan '11 16:04
    Not anything else about them espically, but some songs just have great lines. This is one I like for it's frankness, honesty and is so emotionally raw.
    'What do you want from me' by Take That. (It's Mark Owen who sings it- a bit of the meaning is from his real life that's been through the papers).
    And for the same reason, 'Stay' By Sugarland.

What are the songs that you enjoy for the lyrics?
  2. 18 Jan '11 22:04
    Originally posted by yo its me
    Not anything else about them espically, but some songs just have great lines. This is one I like for it's frankness, honesty and is so emotionally raw.
    'What do you want from me' by Take That. (It's Mark Owen who sings it- a bit of the meaning is from his real life that's been through the papers).

Well, it's one of the reasons why I like both Paul Simon and the Beatles so much. So... I Am A Rock? Revolution?

Richard
  3. 28 Jan '11 09:19
    Two of my favorites are:

"Vincent" by Don McLean. If you know van Gogh's story, McLean hits the emotions perfectly.

YouTube

"Sweet Avenue" by Jets to Brazil (often falsely attributed to Damien Rice). Ever fallen in love? It's like this.

YouTube
  4. 28 Jan '11 09:51 / 2 edits
    Bob Dylan, Farewell Angelina, a song about unreciprocated love!

YouTube&feature=related
  5. 28 Jan '11 14:54

Totally, without the slightest apology, opaque... which only lends to its charm:

YouTube

Band of Horses. Please do not start following them or buying their albums.
  6. 28 Jan '11 15:02
    Schubert lieder. Da Ponte opera libretti. Ruckert Lieder. STabat Mater by any composer.
  7. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    28 Jan '11 18:05
    When they ring those golden bells

YouTube&feature=related

GRANNY.
  8. 28 Jan '11 18:15
    "Venus in Furs" by the velvet underground always struck me as having one of the most brilliantly written lyrics ever put on paper.
  9. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    29 Jan '11 02:10

Anything by Utah Phillips.
  10. 30 Jan '11 16:11
    Cut the Mullet by Wesley Willis
  11. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    31 Jan '11 13:17
    Old England - The Waterboys

Shipbuilding - Elvis Costello

The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing > Dumb All Over > Heavenly Bank Account - Frank Zappa

Life On Mars - David Bowie