1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 05:39
    Anyone know anything about these bands scheduled to appear?

The phenominal hand clap band
    foals
    nasa
    white lies
    sleep sun
    the henry clay people
    Janelle Monae
    B.O.B
    vetiver
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 15:37
    Only Foals and Vetiver.

Vetiver is folky (Devendra Banhart is in the band sometimes, I think) and Foals has that UK mathy dance punk sound. Klaxons comes to mind.
  3. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 16:08
    Originally posted by uzless
    Anyone know anything about these bands scheduled to appear?

The phenominal hand clap band
    foals
    nasa
    white lies
    sleep sun
    the henry clay people
    Janelle Monae
    B.O.B
    vetiver
    A buddy of mine is involved in organizing it. Haven't heard any of the bands, but sounds interesting.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 16:11
    SXSW is the coolest music fest I've been to.

Besides, Austin is an amazing city!
  5. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 19:17
    SXSW used to be a venue where new unsigned bands would go to get noticed by labels. Now it seems to be labels showcasing all of there "on the verge of making it" bands. An unsigned band is lucky to even get a chance to play at the festival. Hell the year I played there Iggy Pop and The Stooges were one of the bands. I think the event has lost its way. The one good thing it showcases is the new tech available to bands to get there music heard.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 20:00
    Originally posted by StTito
    SXSW used to be a venue where new unsigned bands would go to get noticed by labels. Now it seems to be labels showcasing all of there "on the verge of making it" bands.
    That's what i've read about it too. As usual, corporations get in there, spread some cash around and what once was about new music, turns into maximizing profits and shareholder value.

Another music festival that no doubt will go the way of lollapolooza or the Virgin thing.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 20:053 edits
    Originally posted by uzless
    That's what i've read about it too. As usual, corporations get in there, spread some cash around and what once was about new music, turns into maximizing profits and shareholder value.

Another music festival that no doubt will go the way of lollapolooza or the Virgin thing.
    I think it will remain pretty true to clubs and bars around the Austin area and not turn into one of those big open field festivals. They have the Pitchfork Festival, ATP and Coachella for that. I agree with you and Tito about the corporate infusion though. It is an industry event after all, not unlike NXNE.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 05:29
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I think it will remain pretty true to clubs and bars around the Austin area and not turn into one of those big open field festivals. They have the Pitchfork Festival, ATP and Coachella for that. I agree with you and Tito about the corporate infusion though. It is an industry event after all, not unlike NXNE.
    Here in the Allentown area we have the Bethlehem Music Fest, my wife and I played there 5 years in a row in most of the venues there, but they stopped hiring local musicians and went for the big bucks, the Elton John crowd kind of thing, now it attracts a million people each year but it certainly has lost its original charm. I think only in the last couple of years have they hired much in the way of local talent again.
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 08:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Here in the Allentown area we have the Bethlehem Music Fest, my wife and I played there 5 years in a row in most of the venues there, but they stopped hiring local musicians and went for the big bucks, the Elton John crowd kind of thing, now it attracts a million people each year but it certainly has lost its original charm. I think only in the last couple of years have they hired much in the way of local talent again.
    Willie Nelson?! Is that you?!?!?!?!?! 😲
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 12:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Have you seen the movie A Mighty Wind? I always picture you as one of the folkies in that movie, specifically Eugene Levy's character.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree