1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 13:08
    I've been very impressed with two Spike Lee movies: 25th Hour and Inside Man. The amazing thing is that neither had particularly compelling plots (though Inside Man's was more compelling than 25th Hour), neither had particularly impressive dialogue and yet both were great. I really think it was the direction that "made" both movies. My favorite scenes were the Inside Man scene when the head robber has the conversation with the kid about the video game and the 25th Hour "F--- you" scene at the bathroom mirror.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 23:02
    The only one I saw was Crooklyn. I enjoyed the movie. I don't remember if it had any kind of important theme or anything. It was a long time ago.
  3. Joined
    29 May '10
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 03:02
    he's made some great films!

Clockers was great too..

here's his International Movie Database page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000490/

lists everything he's done
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:10
    Spike Lee is an idiot who believes that someone "blew up" the levees in New Orleans. Just another nut job with a camera and a soapbox.
  5. Joined
    29 May '10
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 09:25
    that is hardly an accurate take on his film about New Orleans.

In fact, the documentary has interviews with many of the public officials from New Orleans who were involved in decision making.

It is hardly some conspiracy to know that public policy in New Orleans has been filled with corruption....and for many years.

"All the Kings Men" is a famous film about the controversial and corrupt governor of Lousiana, Huey Long:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041113/

Huey Long wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_Long

a famous quote by Huey Long runs something like this...when I die, I want to be buried in Louisiana, so that I can remain politically active (in other words, down there they were getting the dead to vote).

So, corruption has long been known to be a big part of Louisiana politics. Hardly some big conspiracy theory proposed by the film.

And everyone down there knew that the levee construction was part of that political scam. Whoever got the money to build and maintain it, was probably using it for the pools in their backyards. Hardly some big secret. Not some big evil conspiracy, but hardly a secret that those levees were put together with duct tape and spit.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 15:56
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Spike Lee is an idiot who believes that someone "blew up" the levees in New Orleans. Just another nut job with a camera and a soapbox.
    I like to separate the man from the performer.

I can't stand Tim Robbins' politics, but I loved The Shawshank Redemption.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 18:26
    'Do The Right Thing' remains Spike Lee's greatest movie. Nothing else comes close.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 20:35
    Originally posted by sh76
    I can't stand Tim Robbins' politics, but I loved The Shawshank Redemption.
    Well I've no doubt Robbins is filtering out your posts.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 14:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well I've no doubt Robbins is filtering out your posts.
    and I his

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree