1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 13:06
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-09-picking-up-mistakes.html

The gist: Learn an instrument if you want to keep your marbles when you get older.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 19:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse

The gist: Learn an instrument if you want to keep your marbles when you get older.
    Excellent advice. Next is to learn a new language.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 23:26
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Excellent advice. Next is to learn a new language.
    And a new game. After chess, Go? Pente? Othello? Twixt? Upwords?
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 01:15
    And a new game. After chess, Go? Pente? Othello? Twixt? Upwords?
    I sux at new games. Took me forever to learn Whist, I hate Go, but love solitaire Mah-Jong. I slowly pick up more Latin, Italian and trying my hardest at German. I should give learning to read music another whack.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 17:52
    I sux at new games. Took me forever to learn Whist, I hate Go, but love solitaire Mah-Jong. I slowly pick up more Latin, Italian and trying my hardest at German. I should give learning to read music another whack.
    I invented a game, 3D go, where you have 19 boards on top of one another. I tried building a real one but realized you would have to make it about 10 feet tall in order to get the pieces inside.

So the next thought was to do in on a computer, there you just specify a coordinate, X, Y and Z and the piece gets magically placed there. A matrix 19X19X19.

I made a stab at rules, like one move would put a stone on each board so you make 19 moves each round but only one stone per board, you couldn't pile up 19 stones on one board.

The object in regular go is to capture territory, and in my 3D version, you capture VOLUMES.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 22:43
    I invented a game, 3D go, where you have 19 boards on top of one another. I tried building a real one but realized you would have to make it about 10 feet tall in order to get the pieces inside.

So the next thought was to do in on a computer, there you just specify a coordinate, X, Y and Z and the piece gets magically placed there. A matrix 19X19X19.
    ...[text shortened]...

The object in regular go is to capture territory, and in my 3D version, you capture VOLUMES.
    Makes my head spin.
  7. SubscriberPianoman1online
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 05:301 edit
    I am just recovering from the shock of being asked (by a clearly deranged and misguided Head) to teach Latin to 11 year olds! In my dotage I love the logic of the language which appeals very much to the more left-brained side of me. Nice challenge to take this up in the Autumn years of my life......
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 12:05
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    I am just recovering from the shock of being asked (by a clearly deranged and misguided Head) to teach Latin to 11 year olds! In my dotage I love the logic of the language which appeals very much to the more left-brained side of me. Nice challenge to take this up in the Autumn years of my life......
    How much different is Latin of today compared to the language spoken in ancient Rome, say 2500 years ago?
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 21:39
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Bless your heart. My daughter took Latin in high school from a virtuoso of the language and great teacher to boot. She hated every bit of it yet always made A's. It is not an easy language at all.
  10. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 02:15

Don,
    I just wrote a letter tonight to parents of young beginners (4th & 5th graders) about to start guitar lessons. As much as music helps us senior fellows, it gives young folk educational skills that go beyond the music.

This was my attempt to get the parents on board with their kid's music lessons. I've seen parents punish students by taking away their music lessons for excuses like bad grades in math, not starting on the 1st team in sports, getting in some kinda' behavior troubles. I just wanna smack the parent sometimes for acting like brats.

There is much written and researched about how music opens doors in a student’s growth: abstract concepts, analysis, memory, concentration of focus, organizational skills are not necessarily the learning objectives while studying guitar, but they are all positive by-products of the study of music.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 12:522 edits
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    Don,
    I just wrote a letter tonight to parents of young beginners (4th & 5th graders) about to start guitar lessons. As much as music helps us senior fellows, it gives young folk educational skills that go beyond the music.

This was my attempt to get the parents on board with their kid's music lessons. I've seen parents punish students by taking away ...[text shortened]... g objectives while studying guitar, but they are all positive by-products of the study of music.
    You are preaching to the choir here🙂 My daughter got her first degree at Berklee and second at Wesleyan and she knows all about the benefits of music! She teaches at university level and is coming back to the US for her Phd next year, at New York U I think.

Me, I am just an itinerant folkie🙂 My next gig is a civil war era dance in Jim Thorpe, we have been doing that for several years, a dance master teaches HS kids the dance and I and 3 other guys play tunes from the era, about 30 in all. We have a rehearsal tomorrow night at Ken's house. Ken Purcell, nice guy, great on piano.
  12. Joined
    01 Jan '09
    Moves
    30 Oct '13 16:35

...[text shortened]...

When I envisioned 3D Go, I figured it would involve three players.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 11:02
    Originally posted by talvtal
    When I envisioned 3D Go, I figured it would involve three players.
    Each player gets a dimension? You would have to say, player 1 gets to pick a line, a representation of the co-ordinate system, like in chess we go E3 which is two co-ordinates. In 3d games there would be three co-ordinates to enter, so there would be an X co-ordinate, a Y co-ordinate, representing left and right and a Z representing up and down. So in your game, one player would represent X, one Y and one Z? It would seem then you would need SIX players since one set of 3 would call off the moves for one color, say black, then the other 3 calling off the white moves. Seems a bit convoluted...
  14. Joined
    01 Jan '09
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 18:22
    No need for that complexity, sonhouse. The reason I thought 3D Go would involve three players was any stone would have six liberties. It seemed impossible to ever capture stones with so many liberties so I envisioned three players at odds with one another. Of course this runs into the problem of two players ganging up on one, which is why I had given up on the idea. Hopefully you have revived the possibilty.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 22:54
    Originally posted by talvtal
    No need for that complexity, sonhouse. The reason I thought 3D Go would involve three players was any stone would have six liberties. It seemed impossible to ever capture stones with so many liberties so I envisioned three players at odds with one another. Of course this runs into the problem of two players ganging up on one, which is why I had given up on the idea. Hopefully you have revived the possibilty.
    That's why I changed things to make the takes that are there in regular go to be volumes not areas. Don't know if it is even possible, I never built a 3d game. I looked at 19 cubed and saw if you left enough physical room for your arms, say the boards were 6 inches apart, then the total height would be 9 and a half feet tall!

Clearly if this game were to come to something, it would have to be in software, not a physical board!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree