Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Subscriber apathist
    looking for loot
    01 Apr '17 23:00 / 1 edit
    They are kinda forever, so I'd think people put thought into them, but from what I've seen we don't. Not very much.

    I keep inking one onto my wrist with a pen, so I think it'll happen. A mnenomic to induce lucid dreams.

    Do you have a tatoo you are proud of, or really want to get? Or a bad story to share?
  2. Standard member karoly aczel
    Console Peasant
    27 Apr '17 23:56
    Originally posted by apathist
    They are kinda forever, so I'd think people put thought into them, but from what I've seen we don't. Not very much.

    I keep inking one onto my wrist with a pen, so I think it'll happen. A mnenomic to induce lucid dreams.

    Do you have a tatoo you are proud of, or really want to get? Or a bad story to share?
    my story is that when I was 20 I was into all things 'counter culture'.
    music art hair ....
    but I have no tats.
    Turned out to be a great decision. Now virtually everyone has 'em.
    I've heard people expressing jealously that they wish they hadn't gotten any tats- or maybe just some of them.

    Surprises me semi-permanent tats haven't gotten more support. It's be more like changing hair color.

    Interesting topic.
    I'm very interested in the psychology of the people who have taken up thin trend in the last 30 years.
    I cant help but think it's a cheapway of 'earning' ' credibility'
  3. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    10 May '17 17:56
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    my story is that when I was 20 I was into all things 'counter culture'.
    music art hair ....
    but I have no tats.
    Turned out to be a great decision. Now virtually everyone has 'em.
    I've heard people expressing jealously that they wish they hadn't gotten any tats- or maybe just some of them.

    Surprises me semi-permanent tats haven't gotten more su ...[text shortened]... n trend in the last 30 years.
    I cant help but think it's a cheapway of 'earning' ' credibility'
    Have a tattoo on my side of a panther. Had it done to cover a burn i received as a child.

    I'm all about turning negatives into positives.
  4. 18 May '17 03:50
    My sister has multiple tattoos, at least one commemorating a friend who died recently. I would consider one except I don't do pain. I've thought of a triangle inside a circle with the numbers 3, 19, and 1984 inside (or just 3, 19, and 84). I've also considered a butterfly, even though that's very common. I'm not that visual or visually imaginative, so I haven't put a lot of thought into it. Except for the pain part.
  5. Standard member karoly aczel
    Console Peasant
    31 May '17 03:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by apathist
    They are kinda forever, so I'd think people put thought into them, but from what I've seen we don't. Not very much.

    I keep inking one onto my wrist with a pen, so I think it'll happen. A mnenomic to induce lucid dreams.

    Do you have a tatoo you are proud of, or really want to get? Or a bad story to share?
    No tattoos. Which is really cool because just about everyone has one now.
    There was a sharp increase of people (especially amongst the young female demographic) getting tats in the 90's .
    Before that it was linked to prison or bikers mainly.

    I just don't believe all those people who tell me how special they are now because of their tattoo.
    All the sports people have them. Everyone is soooo cool now

    edit: oops I see I've already commented here
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    31 May '17 20:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    No tattoos. Which is really cool because just about everyone has one now.
    There was a sharp increase of people (especially amongst the young female demographic) getting tats in the 90's .
    Before that it was linked to prison or bikers mainly.

    I just don't believe all those people who tell me how special they are now because of their tattoo.
    All t ...[text shortened]... people have them. Everyone is soooo cool now

    edit: oops I see I've already commented here
    So a dude gets tats all over his face like Mike Tyson but what do you do when you are 50,60,70? You still gonna want some ugly ink you had done when you were 20 and drunk?

    I see they can be removed but the process HAS to be painful, a powerful laser basically cutting into the skin and blowing away bits of ink a pulse at a time and at the end a day later you look like you have had an accident with a flame thrower.

    No thanks. I'll take my decrepid skin the way it is
  7. Standard member karoly aczel
    Console Peasant
    07 Jun '17 00:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So a dude gets tats all over his face like Mike Tyson but what do you do when you are 50,60,70? You still gonna want some ugly ink you had done when you were 20 and drunk?

    I see they can be removed but the process HAS to be painful, a powerful laser basically cutting into the skin and blowing away bits of ink a pulse at a time and at the end a day later ...[text shortened]... had an accident with a flame thrower.

    No thanks. I'll take my decrepid skin the way it is
    I know right?

    Mind you if I were a Maori I might find myself on the outer if I had no tats. Maybe not.
    Surely any society/culture worth 2 cents would be tolerating of someone not wanting tats. Hmmmm ...

    Everyone's got 'em!
  8. Standard member mchill
    Green Lantern
    23 Jun '17 03:46
    Originally posted by apathist
    They are kinda forever, so I'd think people put thought into them, but from what I've seen we don't. Not very much.

    I keep inking one onto my wrist with a pen, so I think it'll happen. A mnenomic to induce lucid dreams.

    Do you have a tatoo you are proud of, or really want to get? Or a bad story to share?
    As an older guy, I hate tattoos. Back in my youth the only people who has them were drunken sailors, and trashy ghetto ho's.
  9. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    27 Jun '17 11:27
    Originally posted by mchill
    As an older guy, I hate tattoos. Back in my youth the only people who has them were drunken sailors, and trashy ghetto ho's.
    Ah, how things have moved on since the 1860's.