1. Pepperland
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 16:49
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    What about "industrial" music? is that that crap too?
    yes, absolutely.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 18:39
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    yes, absolutely.
    Have you listened to any Coil?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 02:39
    ...rap is pap...
    if you think not so you are gonna get tapped..
    ...tapped and buried in a place where there is no map..
    so slap, slap, slap yourself down that 8 mile road...
    ...or tap that coffin that is in your future offin...

(see...how bad rap really can be...i have made my point...by the way the sound track behind these words is a scrathy lou rawls record with one of michael jackson's extra prothetic noses dragged across it..)
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 07:25
    Originally posted by buckky
    I have tried to find something about Rap that might be worthy, but I can't find it. I take that back there is one Rap tune I like. Bob Dylans "Subterainian Homesick Blues".
    Check out The Perceptionists, or Insight's "Blast Radius" or any of Mr. Lif's solo work. Or go old school with Tribe Called Quest or Jurassic 5. There's a bunch of smart hip-hop out there, but it can be difficult to find.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 09:29
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    yes, absolutely.
    You shouldn't judge music by genre. Its like judging all people from one religon as crap. Even if that religon has a bad record there can be good people following it.

But music even more so. Anyone engaged passionatley in making music like rap for example should be supported, no matter how much you may personally dislike that music.
    I would much rather see these 'homies' making bad rap music than doing drive-byes.
    Support all music,no matter how bad you may think it is!
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 13:331 edit
    the problem with rap is that so few of the artists show any imagination. It seems like they all go to same clubs in the same cities, wave their hands around in the same way, gaze lustfully at the same shawtys, drink the same brands of liquor, show off the same grills and chains, wear the same baggy clothes, and sport the same tattoos.

Every once in awhile, you get an act that shows some individuality and imagination (Outcast comes to mind). I suspect that the record companies insist that there's only one kind of rap record that can sell, and very few artists are willing to insist on "doing it their way" and perservering until that way works.

One thing I'd love to see is a traditional rock band that used a rapper as it's lead "singer" -- as well as a move towards using real musicians to back up rap artists instead of relying on samples all the time -- and PLEASE, find something else to rap about besides all the worn out cliches.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 13:53
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    the problem with rap is that so few of the artists show any imagination. It seems like they all go to same clubs in the same cities, wave their hands around in the same way, gaze lustfully at the same shawtys, drink the same brands of liquor, show off the same grills and chains, wear the same baggy clothes, and sport the same tattoos.

Every once in awh ...[text shortened]... he time -- and PLEASE, find something else to rap about besides all the worn out cliches.
    the band 'Regurgitator' uses a bit of rap here and there And very tastefully too.
    Unfortanatly I have to agree with the general gist of your post. It is truly a lamenatable stae of affiars.
    However when dudes come together and start rapping on the streets with some doing backbeats and others rapping , this seems a very positive and creative form of self-expression. It does stretch the notion of what music is though , I have to admit.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 15:12
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    the band 'Regurgitator' uses a bit of rap here and there And very tastefully too.
    Unfortanatly I have to agree with the general gist of your post. It is truly a lamenatable stae of affiars.
    However when dudes come together and start rapping on the streets with some doing backbeats and others rapping , this seems a very positive and creative form of self-expression. It does stretch the notion of what music is though , I have to admit.
    it would be interesting to have someone make recordings of these spontaneous street raps -- I bet there's some good stuff out there.
  9. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 16:461 edit
    i used to listen to a lot of rap//hiphop but not recently.

i quite liked MC 900 FT JESUS:

but if you go: YouTube&feature=related

killer inside me: YouTube&feature=related

the city sleeps: YouTube

adventures in failure: YouTube

it's a lot different to the homogenous rap/hiphop that's been complained about here, imho.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 18:39
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    i used to listen to a lot of rap//hiphop but not recently.

i quite liked MC 900 FT JESUS:

but if you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M83H5NvS7Ho&feature=related

killer inside me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9fZlNbyLVU&feature=related

the city sleeps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KB54p8_wh8

adventures in failure: http://www.youtube. ...[text shortened]...

it's a lot different to the homogenous rap/hiphop that's been complained about here, imho.
    Definitely some imagination here. Interesting musical mixes, none of those annoying rap cliches -- sort of a mix of Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and beatnik poetry.
  11. Joined
    03 Apr '09
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 14:39
    Personally, I don't think much of rap. In fact, it seems characterised by poor English (by poor I mean highly incorrect) and crude hand gestures, as well as innapropriate lyrics (not all the time, most of the time). I must admit, the genre does have one or two songs which are amusing, but it mostly repulses me. Gone are the days of great artists such as Vivaldi and Beethoven, Mozart and Schubert. I believe rap music, represents, on a smaller scale, the levels to which our society has fallen.
    That however is my opinion, and all people are entitled to their own opinions.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 14:44
    Originally posted by Ringwraith
    Personally, I don't think much of rap. In fact, it seems characterised by poor English (by poor I mean highly incorrect) and crude hand gestures, as well as innapropriate lyrics (not all the time, most of the time). I must admit, the genre does have one or two songs which are amusing, but it mostly repulses me. Gone are the days of great artists such as V ...[text shortened]... ety has fallen.
    You sound like those people saying "heavy metal is just a bunch of screaming".
  13. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 16:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You sound like those people saying "heavy metal is just a bunch of screaming".
    Rap is crap and Metal is for low brows.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 17:57
    Originally posted by buckky
    Rap is crap and Metal is for low brows.
    Yawn.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 21:07
    Originally posted by Ringwraith
    Personally, I don't think much of rap. In fact, it seems characterised by poor English (by poor I mean highly incorrect) and crude hand gestures, as well as innapropriate lyrics (not all the time, most of the time). I must admit, the genre does have one or two songs which are amusing, but it mostly repulses me. Gone are the days of great artists such as V ...[text shortened]... ety has fallen.
    The big problem with classical music is that it seems like when they make a recording, they insist on putting the orchestra WAYYYY off in the distance. The sound quality is so bad. It's no wonder that you don't see anyone composing new classical music.

The thing that frustrates me with rap is that there are so many different things that could be done with it. The offerings by MC 900 FT Jesus are an example and I think this barely scratches the surface. As it appears that rock music is fading with each passing year, something vibrant has to replace it, and rap seems to be the only genre that doesn't sound like the bland stuff you hear in a grocery store or a dentist's office. Another problem is that every genre has a few artists that clearly stand out as "kings" of their genre - someone like James Brown or Elvis Presley or the Beatles or Hank Williams Sr - but I keep wondering, after almost 30 yrs, who is the "James Brown" of rap?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree