1. Germany
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 16:49
    Originally posted by darvlay
    What little I've heard of him sounded interesting. Why? Do you recommend something?
    Just get a collection of his main works, really good stuff.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 16:50
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    [b]It's an ignorant argument made a lot of times by fans of rock who have some weird chip on their shoulder about the genre as a whole.

don't get me wrong, Im not the sort of person who only listens to rock music. I tend to prefer rock over other genres, but I also enjoy many others, like pagode, (some) bossa nova, blues, brazilian country music, etc.[/b]
    What about tropicalia? There is some really nice stuff there.
  3. Pepperland
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 17:01
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What about tropicalia? There is some really nice stuff there.
    yes some of it, I think os mutantes were pretty good.

ever listened to raul seixas?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 18:29
    yes some of it, I think os mutantes were pretty good.

ever listened to raul seixas?
    No I haven't - Os Mutantes is good, and I like Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil and Tom Zé as well.
  5. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 19:01
    I won't get involved in the 3'33" debate (except to say that it's a shame Cage is pretty much remembered only for that piece, and that it's much better understood in the context of his work and theory...)

But at a slight tangent (because it's more hip-hop-ish than rap) I recommend Prefuse 73.

Oh, and Flying Lotus is really good, too - although he blends a lot more styles with his hip-hop.
  6. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 19:32
    Originally posted by buckky
    I really want to get off this planet just to get away from the dirt dum Rap music nightmare. To many cars rattleing apart at the seams playing stupid Rap music. Rap is a sign of society falling apart. Worthless racket is all is it. It is not music. I don't know what it is, but it sucks the big one..
    It is music, you just dislike it.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 12:56
    Originally posted by DrKF
    I won't get involved in the 3'33" debate (except to say that it's a shame Cage is pretty much remembered only for that piece, and that it's much better understood in the context of his work and theory...)

But at a slight tangent (because it's more hip-hop-ish than rap) I recommend Prefuse 73.

Oh, and Flying Lotus is really good, too - although he blends a lot more styles with his hip-hop.
    Prefuse is a great recommendation, although I'm a bit disappointed about his more recent works.

Others I'd recommend:
    - DJ Krush
    - RJD2/Soul Position
    - Madvillain/MF Doom
  8. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 17:00
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Maybe it should and it wouldn't be so bland. I'd rather my ears grate than die from boredom. But thats just me...
    No it shouldn't, it's not bland, maybe to you it is but then that's not saying much. LOL.
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 17:04
    3. you almost never hear songs that mention a specific person's name in them, or the name of a specific time or place. If you were a girl and your boyfriend kept referring to you as "oh girrrlll!!!", he would soon be an ex-boyfriend.
    Duh because its supposed to be about love, not that they are actually in love, if I sang a song about killing people does that make me a murderer? No then if it was (lets say Sally) you can say "but my girlfriends name isn't Sally!"
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 19:541 edit
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Duh because its supposed to be about love, not that they are actually in love, if I sang a song about killing people does that make me a murderer? No then if it was (lets say Sally) you can say "but my girlfriends name isn't Sally!"
    I suspect that this is probably the reason. The record companies fear that if someone sang a "song about Sally", all listeners not named Sally wouldn't be able to relate to the song. Never mind all the great songs (many of them major hits) from the past that were sung about specific people or places.

Also - an artist who is actually "in love" (or who can call up a memory of when they were in love) is going to produce a much more authentic performance than someone who is merely "singing about love".
  11. weedhopper
    Moves
    10 Sep '09 05:30
    true.

its like you can get any piece of crap to be recognized as music nowadays.
    It is good that we have found common ground on something 🙂
  12. Pepperland
    Moves
    12 Sep '09 17:10
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    It is good that we have found common ground on something 🙂
    but you do admit you're an extremist, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree