1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Mar '11 17:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is my favourite film. In my mind it always pairs up with American Buffalo - with Dustin Hoffman and Dennis Franz. Another claustrophobic talky Mamet stage play adaptation.
    Never seen it; but now I'll keep my eyes open for it. Thanks.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Mar '11 15:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    Okay, I capitulated and went to see it. I know I'm going to offend some people, but here goes.

That was the best movie of the year????? Please. It was a semi-punishment sitting through that snooze-fest.

What was great about that movie?

What it the dialogue? What dialogue? The dialogue was completely uninspiring.

Was it suspense? No, we all knew how ...[text shortened]... screen most of the time. Here I kept hoping for it to get better and so I watched it.
    Couldn't agree more.

Set during a time of strict politeness, when no one dared scoff at royalty's ineptness or incompetence. Instead, they (citizens of Great Britain) were expected to tough it out in awkward silence, pretending everything was fine (like those of us gullible enough to sit through this piece of crap) while their heir-apparent repeatedly stammered himself into stony silence.

Like those citizens, we were told by the glitterati how important, how significant this film was... and we went like lemmings to the sea. In striking fashion, this movie mirrors the scenarios it depicts: the royalty says listen, and so we do, even when the royalty can only manage to stutter its way through a meaningless speech.

Here's what they should have done instead. Take some artistic license and make K-k-king G-g-g-george a bed-wetter. Ala "James at 16," if Georgie can't stop wetting the bed, mean ol' Adolf is going to hang his pee-soaked bedsheets out the window of Buckingham Palace for the whole world to see. Freedom and democracy lie in the balance right alongside the question of George's humiliation or vindication.

Will George learn to hold his pee-pee through the night?
    Will his long-suffering wife tire of waking every morning smelling like cabbage and old whiskey?
    Will the pee therapist's grip falter?

I smell Oscar!
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '11 00:431 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Couldn't agree more.

Set during a time of strict politeness, when no one dared scoff at royalty's ineptness or incompetence. Instead, they (citizens of Great Britain) were expected to tough it out in awkward silence, pretending everything was fine (like those of us gullible enough to sit through this piece of crap) while their heir-apparent repeatedly like cabbage and old whiskey?
    Will the pee therapist's grip falter?

I smell Oscar!
    I smell pee from incontinent laughter! Great post! Crappy film indeed! They claim it raises awareness about stammering. I though Porky Pig did that eons ago!
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Mar '11 02:46
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I smell pee from incontinent laughter! Great post! Crappy film indeed! They claim it raises awareness about stammering. I though Porky Pig did that eons ago!
    Porky Pig was the ultimate optimist. Can't get to the right word? F-f-f-for-for-forg, never mind that word and go with another!
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '11 13:14
    Porky Pig was the ultimate optimist. Can't get to the right word? F-f-f-for-for-forg, never mind that word and go with another!
    The awareness claim has always really cracked me up. These Hollywood blowhards seem to forget that the enormous element of fantasy contained in movies may actually work the opposite. After all we then see all these actors on Letterman et al, speaking, behaving, normally. So hence the problem ain't no big deal, right? Or the fantasy stimulates the element of disbelief. A dear friend from Nigeria just bought a house. He became obsessed with ridding himself of critters. Caught possums, squirrels and lastly a skunk. He would then dump them at a local lake wooded area where he thought they'd be happier. He did not realize skunks would do their skunkly duty and stink up his car. I asked if he had never watched Pepe L'Pew cartoons in Nigeria. He said he had but thought it was all fantasy!
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Mar '11 14:55
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    The awareness claim has always really cracked me up. These Hollywood blowhards seem to forget that the enormous element of fantasy contained in movies may actually work the opposite. After all we then see all these actors on Letterman et al, speaking, behaving, normally. So hence the problem ain't no big deal, right? Or the fantasy stimulates the elemen ...[text shortened]... never watched Pepe L'Pew cartoons in Nigeria. He said he had but thought it was all fantasy!
    True, that.
    Along those lines, here's a link to youtube, wherein Ian McKellen explains how true actors get it done while on Extras...

YouTube&feature=related
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '11 15:24
    True, that.
    Along those lines, here's a link to youtube, wherein Ian McKellen explains how true actors get it done while on Extras...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqU5-2o-9cM&feature=related
    Excellent indeed, yet McKellan is so condescending! Fantasy is interestin when you see it done the ancient way via masks. I love the way he pretends simple modesty by rebuffing titles then goes on to treat the guy like an idiot!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree