Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. 25 Jun '09 08:42
    listening to "last fm" yesterday I discovered this 60's british folk band.They are pretty damm good. Any one else hear of them,and you like them? Its like folk,jazz,and rock together.
  2. 25 Jun '09 09:00
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    listening to "last fm" yesterday I discovered this 60's british folk band.They are pretty damm good. Any one else hear of them,and you like them? Its like folk,jazz,and rock together.
    they are legendary, Bert Jansch is awesome musician in his own right, I like them a lot, the whole folk scene from the sixties spawned some immense talent!
  3. 25 Jun '09 09:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    they are legendary, Bert Jansch is awesome musician in his own right, I like them a lot, the whole folk scene from the sixties spawned some immense talent!
    yes I agree.I really never have been exposed to british folk from the 60's,I have been really missing out.For the past 2 days I have been devouring it though . I know american folk a good bit,but this is very refreshing.
  4. 25 Jun '09 09:42 / 1 edit
    yes I agree.I really never have been exposed to british folk from the 60's,I have been really missing out.For the past 2 days I have been devouring it though . I know american folk a good bit,but this is very refreshing.
    they were heavily influenced by an American, Jackson C Frank, a beautiful lyricist and player, the details of his life are almost too tragic to recount. you may also enjoy some contemporary artists like Kate Rusby, she has the most full and beautiful voice, and my personal favourite, although not traditionally known as a folk singer, she has never the less covered a few folk songs, Julianne Regan of all about eve fame. here are some samples, are they not outstanding?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCuSo8q7HnI - all about eve, marthas harbour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b9L8RplnSw - kate rusby , as i roved out

5. 25 Jun '09 09:56
    they were heavily influenced by an American, Jackson C Frank, a beautiful lyricist and player, the details of his life are almost too tragic to recount.
    I am aware of Frank. he was from my neck of the woods.I did not know of the connection to pentangle though.Thanks for enlightenting me on that .I do agree ,this mans life was marred by tragedy.Enough said on that.
  6. 25 Jun '09 15:34
    They are quite good, somewhat similar to Fairport Convention, though not as good as them.
  7. Standard member Blackamp
    Death
    26 Jun '09 19:26 / 1 edit
    I am aware of Frank. he was from my neck of the woods.I did not know of the connection to pentangle though.Thanks for enlightenting me on that .I do agree ,this mans life was marred by tragedy.Enough said on that.
    i hadn't heard of him before, and to be honest, i'm not much aware of the world of folk - was impressed by his 'Blues Run the Game', he had a fine voice. and his story was certainly tragic.

got to thinking: insofar as the DIY ethic is an essential characteristic of punk, is folk more punk than punk? after all, all you need is, say, an acoustic guitar, whereas 'punk' uses electric guitars/amps etc that were all constructed by workers in day jobs (as well as their components), so in a sense it relies on 'the system' to produce the tools of its trade. on the other hand, an acoustic guitar could be fashioned by a craftsman in some cottage somewhere. somehow the possibilities for DIY just seem to be greater.
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '09 01:22
    Seen Bert Jansch many a time. Sublime. Although I preferred seeing John Martyn. Differently sublime. Check him out if you haven't already - especially Solid Air circa '74. You have to check out Fairport Convention, of course, although for me Pentangle makes it onto the last balloon before they do, so I disagree with KN in that respect. The other related and often underrated musician that you need to investigate is Richard Thompson. His oeuvre is a real treat you're in store for if you don't know him already.
  9. 27 Jun '09 11:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Seen Bert Jansch many a time. Sublime. Although I preferred seeing John Martyn. Differently sublime. Check him out if you haven't already - especially Solid Air circa '74. You have to check out Fairport Convention, of course, although for me Pentangle makes it onto the last balloon before they do, so I disagree with KN in that respect. The other related and ofte ...[text shortened]... hard Thompson. His oeuvre is a real treat you're in store for if you don't know him already.
    John Martyn used to teach guitar in the Glasgow folk centre, I used to work for a man that knew him at the time before his 'fame', my employer travelled to London to see him perform, and afterwards, Martyn would not even consent to see his old friend, this has sadly prejudiced me towards him, for it speaks to me of a superficiality and lack of sincerity. For in the end, i have evaluated, that in life, friendships are what are important.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '09 12:00
    it speaks to me of a superficiality and lack of sincerity. For in the end, i have evaluated, that in life, friendships are what are important.
    It speaks to me, robbie, perhaps, of his alcoholism. I could be wrong. The art and the artist. Always a tough one. I forgave Miles Davis for his misogyny. But I never really accepted Neil Young again after he endorsed Reagan in the 80s. Sometimes we can process our disappointment. Sometimes we can't. I love Martyn's music from that era. Shame he was a prickly fellow. There's a few of them about.
  11. 27 Jun '09 22:35 / 4 edits
    its a salient point you make FMF, we don't know the circumstances, nor are we often able to look beyond the personality, and enjoy the music , if there is a fence facing us!, did not realise that ol Neil was a supporter of Reagan in the eighties, what an earth was he thinking? did he almost cut his hair? there he was, ripping it out of Michael Jackson and Billie Idol, when he was a closet republican all the time!
  12. 28 Jun '09 17:44 / 1 edit
    More commonly known as Pentangle - not The Pentangle.
  13. 28 Jun '09 23:49
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    More commonly known as Pentangle - not The Pentangle.
    I figured this much.Sounds better to me w/out "the" in front too. Thats the way they had it written on the site I was looking at though. Like I said earlier,never heard of them until the other day and really liked what I heard.