1. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 18:466 edits
    i can almost remember the sex pistols, ( i have seen Johnny live since, was awesome) or at least, i can remember a friend letting me hear his big brothers, never mind the bollocks album along with a generation X album. the ideology started, as many do, as a reactionary force against the megalomaniacs of the music world, those self proclaimed icons apparently made of stardust, the Gods of Rock

how we embraced this new ethos, were they not also flesh and blood, how dare they proclaim semi divine status and elucidate and mediate on our behalf, we were all individuals and had a right of self expression, regardless!

then the pistols went to America, alas, the Americans were not ready, they were too star struck, still reeling from the hippy era, they realised only too soon, it was a con, a piece of business, the conceptual child of one Malcolm McLaren, never the less, the seeds had been sown and the ideology took root.

however what is curious with regard to America, is that it never really died the same way it did in Europe, and after its initial attempt, it simply reinvented itself in the form of grunge years later with Nirvana themselves astounding the entire music establishment, by the release and the unparalleled success of their attempt, in Cobains own words. 'to keep the punk ethos alive', the Album Nevermind, knocking Michael Jackson from the top of the charts, and we who were there to witness it, rejoiced!

Sadly, in his case, if it was not his wife who had killed him, anyone reading his alleged suicide note will realise that he had become everything that he stood against, a performing monkey on a hurdy-gurdy machine! the puppet of media moguls and corporate interests, he had betrayed himself and the cause, a hypocrite, he had to go.

yet it is with interest, that others consciences are not so finely honed as Kurt Cobains was, for Greenday release another album, have enjoyed immense success and thus the ethos feels comfortable with its corporate identity, and a new generation gets to feel the reverberations of that fateful time, in the early seventies, 'get up, get out, be what you are', stiff little fingers!
  2. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 19:49
    isn't the punk ethos 'we can't sing or play our instruments, but we're gonna do it anyway'?😛😉
  3. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 22:21
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    isn't the punk ethos 'we can't sing or play our instruments, but we're gonna do it anyway'?😛😉
    only in the case of Sid. Most of it is about DIY
  4. Germany
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 16:39
    You give some strange examples of "punk ethos"...

The Sex Pistols were assembled by their manager. They were basically intended as a vehicle to exploit the new punk culture, much akin to how The Beatles embodied the commercial exploitation of the hippie culture.

Cobain took the music of his friends and great examples, the Melvins, and intentionally simplified the sound and made it more accessible.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 17:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You give some strange examples of "punk ethos"...

The Sex Pistols were assembled by their manager. They were basically intended as a vehicle to exploit the new punk culture, much akin to how The Beatles embodied the commercial exploitation of the hippie culture.

Cobain took the music of his friends and great examples, the Melvins, and intentionally simplified the sound and made it more accessible.
    in Cobains own words, he was dedicated to 'keeping the Punk Ethos alive', as for the pistols, were there any 'punk bands', prior to them?
  6. Germany
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 17:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    in Cobains own words, he was dedicated to 'keeping the Punk Ethos alive', as for the pistols, were there any 'punk bands', prior to them?
    That would depend on how you define "punk band".
  7. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 20:10
    stooges, mc5, ramones
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 20:291 edit
    Originally posted by StTito
    stooges, mc5, ramones
    Ramones were certainly first generation but they were an American band, punk was, as far as i am aware conceptualised in the U.K and exported to America. First generation were the Pistols (1976?) and the damned etc etc. Although i am prepared to be corrected 🙂
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 21:16
    I'll correct you Robbie, it's the other way round. Malcom McLaren returned form New York City in 1975 after hanging around the music scene at the famous CBGB's nightclub and decided to create a band based on what he had experienced there.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 21:282 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I'll correct you Robbie, it's the other way round. Malcom McLaren returned form New York City in 1975 after hanging around the music scene at the famous CBGB's nightclub and decided to create a band based on what he had experienced there.
    i see, ok noobster my friend, I stand corrected! 🙂 what did he find there ? was it a definitive punk sound or was it too early in the day to state anything with certainty? were these bands that StTito mentioned, the ramones, stooges etc playing there?
  11. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 22:20
    i see, ok noobster my friend, I stand corrected! 🙂 what did he find there ? was it a definitive punk sound or was it too early in the day to state anything with certainty? were these bands that StTito mentioned, the ramones, stooges etc playing there?
    the British just take American music and regurgitate it back to us.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 22:25
    Lol, dont give us it, you owe us big time!
  13. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 01:14
    Lol, dont give us it, you owe us big time!
    fer what? I think yo owe us for birthing Boy George.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 09:04
    fer what? I think yo owe us for birthing Boy George.
    Lol, you could have a point, but we are always having to come over there with one invasion after another! plus you have yet to produce a decent Metal band 😉
  15. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 10:11
    that's true up to a point: r'n'r, r'n'b, soul, funk, jazz, punk all got their start in the USA.

but it is just as true to say that white America takes black American music and reinvents it. metal and punk being honorable exceptions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree