1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 19:492 edits
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I follow you completely (and did before) until the very last clause of the last sentence. "Crappy" and "Better" are general subjective terms making it very difficult to answer your question. This is what I was getting at with my last post.

"Or does it suck because now you can hear the song as it really is and the way it really is is a crapy song?"

ey congrats! But there's a reason why people record in stereo as opposed to mono...
    Right, so i'm assuming you are answering yes to this question then?

Putting aside the subjectivity of liking songs or not (I think its fair to say that most people will say they like at least SOME beatles songs) what your saying is that a popular song is a popular song regardless of whether its in mono or stereo because of the inherent strength of the song itself....and that if you were to take a popular mono song and turn it into a stereo song that people said they didn't like, then it is because it is a bad mix, rather than any inherent weakness being exposed in the song?

I tend to agree, but I was looking for other opinions.
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 19:51
    Originally posted by PBE6
    You need to read these books:

"This Is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel Levitin

"Perfecting Sound Forever" by Greg Milner
    I still haven't finished the Mr. Men books!
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 19:58
    Originally posted by uzless
    Right, so i'm assuming you are answering yes to this question then?

Putting aside the subjectivity of liking songs or not (I think its fair to say that most people will say they like at least SOME beatles songs) what your saying is that a popular song is a popular song regardless of whether its in mono or stereo because of the inherent strength of the song ...[text shortened]... weakness being exposed in the song?

I tend to agree, but I was looking for other opinions.
    "what your saying is that a popular song is a popular song regardless of whether its in mono or stereo because of the inherent strength of the song itself....and that if you were to take a popular mono song and turn it into a stereo song that people said they didn't like, then it is because it is a bad mix, rather than any inherent weakness being exposed in the song?"

Yes and pretty much yes. Most people won't recognize a huge difference if they here a stereo remake of a mono song unless it's a drastic change but mixing also involve volume levels, effects (compressors and such), and other things that can contribute to ruining/bettering a song, not just the placement of a sound or instrument in the stereo spectrum. If a single track has a poor performance blip on it or whatever, a good mixer/engineer would do well to "hide" it in the mix.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree