1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 09:58
    Whose untimely passing do you lament most?

What are your speculations about what might have been?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 10:08
    The Pope.

I mean John Paul Ringo George II

Then again, he was about to release a new catechism approving nude Twister between priests and young boys.

So, good riddance I say.
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 10:20
    Originally posted by FMF

Bruce Lee
    He was revolutionary w/his approach to martial arts. He changed the whole face of it and there is no telling where he could of went w/it had he lived to an old age.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:16
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Bruce Lee
    He was revolutionary w/his approach to martial arts.
    Wasn't Bruce Lee superceded by Jackie Chan who injected a vein of humour that eluded Lee?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:331 edit
    Esbjorn Svensson. Pianist. Dead at 44. I like to think he, and his trio, would have gone on to work with the likes of Dhafer Youssef, Nils Petter Molvaer, Wolfgang Muthspiel, Nguyen Le, Mathias Eick and others.
  6. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:51
    >Mozart
    >He was only 36 when he died. I would have liked to have heard what he would have written had he experienced the upheaval in Europe caused by French Revolution, as Beethoven had. The things Mozart wrote in his life, notably the last 10 years, especially the last 3 years, are amazing.
  7. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 12:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    Wasn't Bruce Lee superceded by Jackie Chan who injected a vein of humour that eluded Lee?
    Let me be more clear. As far as Lee's movies were concerned they were ground breaking at the time and increased the popularity of m.a. in the states.Paving the way for others like Chan.
    However,I am referring to what he did to revolutionalize m.a. outside of the movies.He thought totally outside of the box,so to speak.In a non-traditional sense.Opening the door to mixed martial arts.Lee was the first.If not for Lee we would be stuck in the boring,mechanical,outdated forms of traditional martial arts.
    What he did on film was spectacular and for entertainment but , it was not his "style" and true philosophy towards m.a.
    Jeet Kune Do ( the way of the intercepting fist or foot) was above and beyond anything of the time.It progressed m.a. lightyears like nothing else had before or since.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 12:42
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Let me be more clear. As far as Lee's movies were concerned they were ground breaking at the time and increased the popularity of m.a. in the states.Paving the way for others like Chan.
    However,I am referring to what he did to revolutionalize m.a. outside of the movies.He thought totally outside of the box,so to speak.In a non-traditional sense.Openi ...[text shortened]... ond anything of the time.It progressed m.a. lightyears like nothing else had before or since.
    Interesting. I have a black belt in something or other too, so my antennae prick up at talk of the essence of these arts (as opposed to the films they adorn). The Chan gag earlier was made wondering if you would sense the tongue inserted in cheek. Not bashing me suggests a patience and true appreciation, and willingness to enlighten others, hallmarks of a genuine afficianado of martial arts.

So. Go on. Speculate. Where do you think he might have taken it?
  9. Pepperland
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 15:201 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

john lennon's

Im not sure, but I think he would have created some great music, his last album (before he was shot by a lunatic) was pretty good (if you ignore the yoko ono tracks).
    who knows, maybe there could have even been a beatles reunion, it was a pity that a genius like him was killed for no reason.
  10. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 15:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    Interesting. I have a black belt in something or other too, so my antennae prick up at talk of the essence of these arts (as opposed to the films they adorn). The Chan gag earlier was made wondering if you would sense the tongue inserted in cheek. Not bashing me suggests a patience and true appreciation, and willingness to enlighten others, hallmarks of a genuin ...[text shortened]... afficianado of martial arts.

So. Go on. Speculate. Where do you think he might have taken it?
    Who knows where he might have taken it? Theres no telling.He broke the seal on everything. He burst the bubble of the traditional stylist. He showed how they were outdated,too restricting. He showed how one must be fluid,able to flow from one technique to another. "be like water,formless".When asked about his style he replied "my style is no style" Thats the beauty of it. He took what techniques/moves worked for him from various styles and discarded from that style what did not.This was unheard of at the time.This made him a all around martial artist able to fight at any range.Feet,hands and grappling.This showed the world of martial arts not to be locked into one style.His training/sparring techniques were new to martial arts too.
    Also,he made the martial arts truly multi racial on a world scale.
    His book The Tao of Jeet Kune Do was a master piece for the world of martial arts.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 17:06
    Maybe John Balance. Was still making great music when he died. Would have also been interesting to see what Hendrix would have done, had he lived on.
  12. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 17:17
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Maybe John Balance. Was still making great music when he died. Would have also been interesting to see what Hendrix would have done, had he lived on.
    good choices.In the music vein I would say John Bonnom was a flame extinguished too early.
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 21:40
    Ian Curtis -Joy Division

(But then again we might never have seen New Order had he lived)
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 00:49
    Mark Bolan. It's easy to forget how big a star he was when he died. At that point in time as big as Bowie perhaps?
  15. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 11:121 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Mark Bolan. It's easy to forget how big a star he was when he died. At that point in time as big as Bowie perhaps?
    Only in the UK, methinks.

Well, it was long before I was born, but that's what I read about it.

Anyways, Electric Warrior is a truly great album.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree