1. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '09 05:55
    I've just started reading the World War series and am really enjoying them. What are your thoughts on Harry Turtledove and "Alternative histories" in general?
  2. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    03 Jul '09 15:32
    Not bad. When you read these fellows you sacrfice real writing for ideas. Characters are pretty flat. Storyline carries you along.
  3. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    03 Jul '09 16:47
    Stirling is sort of like him. The Natucket triology wasn't too bad.

For Turtledove I read the Civil War books. It's an interesting perspective.
  4. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 16:31
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    I've just started reading the World War series and am really enjoying them. What are your thoughts on Harry Turtledove and "Alternative histories" in general?
    I have heard that the World War series is good, but when I went to the local bookshop, they didn't have them; I picked up his Ruled Britannia instead. So far: woeful.

It's my fault, though, should have looked at the book properly. A novel in which the lead character is William Shakespeare, and has the tagline on the cover "To be free, or not to be free..." Ouch. Could be the first book I ever make a conscious decision not to finish.
  5. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '09 08:19
    I usually go with the thirty page test. If I'm not in to it by then I don't bother.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree