Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    25 Jan '11 00:14 / 1 edit
    Whats the world coming to? Poor old Tool. What are they supposed to do with an audience and bouncers like that?
    "Like what?" I hear you ask.
    First of all, they're a heavy metal band. In the standing room, where I was at, everyone was just standing. I think about three people were "dancing". I was one of them.
    This bouncer was standing right in front of me the whole gig, and was trying to find a reason to eject me. My girlie was stitting down because of her diabetes. They also tried to eject her. Why????
    What is wrong with these people.

    The suppport band was very goood "Jacob" , a new zealand band.

    But all n all I was majorly dissapointed.

    Anyway, I'd like to hear of any similar stories.

    I remember in the early 90's I was watching international acts for 20-25$!!
    Times that by ten now and you have a roguh idea. (Rammones ,Iggy,Mudhoney,Sonic Youth,etc,etc.)

    Primus remains the last "big " band I want to see, but they are only doing a festival so...
  2. Standard member ua41
    Sharp Edge
    25 Jan '11 01:29
    I went to a reggae concert a couple years back and the bouncers had the same mentality. Me and the guys were up front leaning over the barricade, and security was going left and right for the first song getting everyone's... err... smokes (it was an inside venue). It didn't take long until they just gave up. Second song, a couple girls got up on stage and they promptly got taken out. As a response, more ladies rushed the stage and security gave up. One of the bouncers got irritated through the set and at one time went around spraying some the audience with a water bottle

    Sucks to hear about the vibe. I've also heard Maynard doesn't have the fondest outlook on a lot of his fans. You'll enjoy Primus. I've never caught them in particular, but I've seen a lot of other Claypool's projects. I didn't realize that Primus actually got back together until I heard 'bout a festival a year or two back. They put on a great show, Claypool has amazing stage presence, and his voice is even more goofy in person.
  3. 25 Jan '11 07:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Whats the world coming to? Poor old Tool. What are they supposed to do with an audience and bouncers like that?
    "Like what?" I hear you ask.
    First of all, they're a heavy metal band. In the standing room, where I was at, everyone was just standing. I think about three people were "dancing". I was one of them.
    This bouncer was standing right in fron remains the last "big " band I want to see, but they are only doing a festival so...
    you must pick the venue carefully, for example in Glasgow we have the Barrowlands which holds ids say about three thousand people, no seats, a bar the length of the venue, which means an amazing atmosphere and the whole place is bouncing, then, you have the SECC, nothing more than a huge biscuit tin the size of an aircraft hanger, no atmosphere, no bouncing, no bar the length of the venue and crappy concerts.
  4. 25 Jan '11 14:05
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Whats the world coming to? Poor old Tool. What are they supposed to do with an audience and bouncers like that?
    "Like what?" I hear you ask.
    First of all, they're a heavy metal band. In the standing room, where I was at, everyone was just standing. I think about three people were "dancing". I was one of them.
    This bouncer was standing right in fron ...[text shortened]... remains the last "big " band I want to see, but they are only doing a festival so...
    maybe you should go and see this band,

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxgeSv88c2w&ob=av2em

    Nickelback - Burn It To The Ground
  5. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    27 Jan '11 01:01
    Originally posted by ua41
    I went to a reggae concert a couple years back and the bouncers had the same mentality. Me and the guys were up front leaning over the barricade, and security was going left and right for the first song getting everyone's... err... smokes (it was an inside venue). It didn't take long until they just gave up. Second song, a couple girls got up on stage and they ...[text shortened]... show, Claypool has amazing stage presence, and his voice is even more goofy in person.
    However, two days later, I am getting a really cool Tool vibe.
    Maynard sung every note as well as he could muster. The band put on a really good show. But it seems there are 3 parts to a gig. The band, the audience, and the bouncers.
    I guess 1 out of three aint bad when its the band.

    Probabaly late into tour, band tired, but the last song was Aenima, with the ironis refrain of "Learn to swim"

    Most of the fans were young. Only one "old" song, stinkfist, but a great set nonetheless, openning with "Prying open my third eye".
    Great shyte
  6. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    27 Jan '11 01:10
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you must pick the venue carefully, for example in Glasgow we have the Barrowlands which holds ids say about three thousand people, no seats, a bar the length of the venue, which means an amazing atmosphere and the whole place is bouncing, then, you have the SECC, nothing more than a huge biscuit tin the size of an aircraft hanger, no atmosphere, no bouncing, no bar the length of the venue and crappy concerts.
    Yeah, your right, its just that this was it, last time to seee Tool, I knew it was a crap venue but what are you gonna do? Tool have no idea of whats on. I'm glad they played the "Big day out " festival, but really, the light show of a Tool gig can only be fully appreciated in an enclosed environment.

    Oh well, like I infered in the above post, its giving me pleasure on some other level, despite the crap concert experience
  7. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    27 Jan '11 01:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    maybe you should go and see this band,

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxgeSv88c2w&ob=av2em

    Nickelback - Burn It To The Ground
    I'm gonna have to pass on Nickleback. I really, really hate them. But thats music for ya


    There is a deeeper meaning to Tool and life and shyte. Literlally. I have a story, but I only want to bother the forum if its got time. (And Iealize this is "Cultuuuuure"
  8. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    27 Jan '11 16:50
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    There is a deeeper meaning to Tool and life and shyte. Literlally. I have a story, but I only want to bother the forum if its got time. (And Iealize this is "Cultuuuuure"
    Music can point you to philosophy, but when someone sees "deeper meaning" in lyrics then it's probably only superficial soundbytes.
  9. 27 Jan '11 17:18
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I'm gonna have to pass on Nickleback. I really, really hate them. But thats music for ya


    There is a deeeper meaning to Tool and life and shyte. Literlally. I have a story, but I only want to bother the forum if its got time. (And Iealize this is "Cultuuuuure"
    what bad thing have Nickelback done?
  10. 27 Jan '11 18:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what bad thing have Nickelback done?
    I had a friend who tried to get me to broaden my horizons and listen to Tool back about 10 years ago. He was a young bloke so I knew he wasn't in my Led Zep/Pink Floyd demographic, but I listened. It was unintelligible. And I failed to see the deep philosophical meaning in "Stinkfist". I shall stick with the progressive thought-provoking lyrics of Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of The Moon, and such.
  11. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    27 Jan '11 18:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what bad thing have Nickelback done?
    Their "music"!
  12. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    27 Jan '11 21:33
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Music can point you to philosophy, but when someone sees "deeper meaning" in lyrics then it's probably only superficial soundbytes.
    I can see deeper meaning in "Nike" ads, so I guess I'm referring to a particular type of deeper meaning.
    Its just the way the memories of the night seem to have some back to me through in different time.
  13. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    27 Jan '11 21:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what bad thing have Nickelback done?
    See Palynkas response
  14. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    27 Jan '11 21:41
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I had a friend who tried to get me to broaden my horizons and listen to Tool back about 10 years ago. He was a young bloke so I knew he wasn't in my Led Zep/Pink Floyd demographic, but I listened. It was unintelligible. And I failed to see the deep philosophical meaning in "Stinkfist". I shall stick with the progressive thought-provoking lyrics of Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of The Moon, and such.
    Which is exactly why I like music so much, my good sir.
    We can have completely diferring virews on it and it all has some sort of meaning for us.
    I can relate to your experience.
    I suspect you'd think Primus was just shtick and a joke band.
    They sum it up well with their own slogan "Srimus Pucks"
  15. 28 Jan '11 07:21 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Their "music"!
    meh, they went to Portugal and you tried to stone them! and not with weed i hasten to add! I dont think they pretend to be anything other than they are, i like them!