1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 18:31
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    "Found this, Dick Gaughan, Emmie Lou and the McGarrigle's singing Wild Mountain Thyme, one of the best versions I ever heard!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l9uJO9yOaQ

sonhouse, this group creates such beautiful gently plaintiff music. Think I heard a Dobro too. Emmylou adds so much.
    _______________________ ...[text shortened]... ________________________________

Are you familiar with Iris Dement's unique lyrics and songs?
    I spent labor day weekend at two folk fests, one called Journey's End, a folk camp and maple farm with a long history, and Lake Genero fiddle fest. Here is a link:

http://www.sacrasoft.com/Genero/

At Journey's end, they sang the Iris Dement song "Let the mystery be' about 3 times, it was popular there! They do mainly singing but the Genero bunch are fiddlers, banjo, guitar, mandolin, bass, and so forth, old timey music. I had a great time, and my voice is almost gone, singing so much and fingers sore from playing till 4 in the morning🙂
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Sep '14 04:55
    Kate was recording in the hospital room the day she died. Sad day for folk music. She was a great one.

Found some video's of a friend, Mary McCaslin, we knew back in the day. Here is one of her famous songs (famous for folkies anyway

Way out west. She is a great guitar player and here is guitar and piano duo, not heard much (one great one was Ry Cooder and Earl Fatha Hinds, playing Diddy Wa Diddy)
    Anyway, mary:

YouTube

Lack the frame of reference to appreciate this one. (6 of 24)

"Here and her husband (RIP) Jim Ringer, a great singer in his own right:

Bramble and the Rose, written by Jim:"

YouTube
    Beautiful song. This one I really enjoyed. Thank you. (7 of 24)
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Sep '14 04:59
    I spent labor day weekend at two folk fests, one called Journey's End, a folk camp and maple farm with a long history, and Lake Genero fiddle fest. Here is a link:

http://www.sacrasoft.com/Genero/

At Journey's end, they sang the Iris Dement song "Let the mystery be' about 3 times, it was popular there! They do mainly singing but the Genero bunch are f ...[text shortened]... d my voice is almost gone, singing so much and fingers sore from playing till 4 in the morning🙂
    This one I'll save as number 25. Believe Iris Dements was the youngest of a very large family with difficult times.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Sep '14 06:47
    Mary McCaslin... One of her best songs, Young Wesley:

YouTube
    (8 of 25)

"I've loved the work of this singer-songwriter for so long... this song always leaves me with a strange unrest...
    yearning and misty-eyed." wsfireballoon 2 months ago / My sentiments, too. Thanks for posting this song.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 01:46
    Thinking of Emmie lou Harris again, here she is with Nanci Griffith and Nina Gerber on guitar singing one of Kate Wolf's most famous songs, Across the great divide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVYSyYzCWnU

Here is the original by Kate, with Nina Gerber on guitar, she was Kate's guitarist for years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Kn3j7o2yY
    "Here is another friend, Steve Gillette, we produced one of his concerts in Venice Beach back in the day. Great song writer. This song, Darcy Farrow, he was taking a class in folklore and presented this song to his professor as a discovery he made, he fooled him completely, but Steve was the author with his buddy Tom Campbell. He had to admit it when his first album came out

Anyway, Darcy Farrow:

YouTube
    (9 of 25)

Great anecdotal story about the origin of a beautiful song. Thanks... are you still in contact with Steve Gillette?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 14:31
    "Here is another friend, Steve Gillette, we produced one of his concerts in Venice Beach back in the day. Great song writer. This song, Darcy Farrow, he was taking a class in folklore and presented this song to his professor as a discovery he made, he fooled him completely, but Steve was the author with his buddy To ...[text shortened]... ry about the origin of a beautiful song. Thanks... are you still in contact with Steve Gillette?
    Not since we produced his concert in Venice Beach. He got a new wife since then.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '14 03:072 edits
    "In my perusal of the net, I came across someone great I never heard of before, he needs to be heard! Bernt Solvoll, don't know a thing about this dude but he is a great guitar player and songwriter and singer!

In a world without you:" (10 of 25)

YouTube

Enjoyed both the photography and music. Who is the premier guitar player in your talented family?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 13:01
    "In my perusal of the net, I came across someone great I never heard of before, he needs to be heard! Bernt Solvoll, don't know a thing about this dude but he is a great guitar player and songwriter and singer!

In a world without you:" (10 of 25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y031DdGzdFU

Enjoyed both the photography and music. Who is the premier guitar player in your talented family?
    I'd say me if I were not so bloody humble🙂 Actually, my son Kevin is pretty hot on guitar and my daughter Heather goes way beyond me in composition, got her Ma in music composition from Wesleyan and Ba from Berklee in Boston. Now getting ready for her Phd in composition, I think at Boston Uni, where her hubby Gandhi got his Phd in physics. They live in Brazil now but will be coming up for a year or two to finish her doctorate.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Oct '14 06:32
    I'd say me if I were not so bloody humble🙂 Actually, my son Kevin is pretty hot on guitar and my daughter Heather goes way beyond me in composition, got her Ma in music composition from Wesleyan and Ba from Berklee in Boston. Now getting ready for her Phd in composition, I think at Boston Uni, where her hubby Gandhi got his Phd in physics. They live in Brazil now but will be coming up for a year or two to finish her doctorate.
    Quite an accomplished family. You must be pleased with their achievements. Will continue to reply to the remaining songs.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '14 02:172 edits
    In my perusal of the net, I came across someone great I never heard of before, he needs to be heard! Bernt Solvoll, don't know a thing about this dude but he is a great guitar player and songwriter and singer!

A log home:

YouTube (11 of 25) "Published on Jun 12, 2013": sonhouse, this song is reminiscent of the memorable folk music of Pete Seeger and Tom Paxton. One I'll listen to again. Thanks, friend.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Oct '14 10:53
    I'm glad I found him, such a gem of a songwriter and singer. He looks like he is living a good life too. BTW, check out the ones I posted, Walk off the world. I found these really sweet kids, makes me feel ok about the future of humanity🙂 I found out later they were not the band called Walk off the Earth but another bunch who did a cover of their song called Riptide.
    Anyway, it shows how nice talented kids can be! Take a look when you get some time.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '14 23:57
    I'm glad I found him, such a gem of a songwriter and singer. He looks like he is living a good life too. BTW, check out the ones I posted, Walk off the world. I found these really sweet kids, makes me feel ok about the future of humanity🙂 I found out later they were not the band called Walk off the Earth but another bunch who did a cover of their song cal ...[text shortened]... d Riptide.
    Anyway, it shows how nice talented kids can be! Take a look when you get some time.
    Will do. Still working on my (12 next of 25). Recently watched "We Bought a Zoo" filmed in 2011 I believe with Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson (sp) and particularly enjoyed the Bob Dylan musical interludes. Any idea which songs they were?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Nov '14 08:57
    Note: sonhouse, recently lost the sound on my ten year old hp pavilion laptop. Hope to have it operational soon.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Nov '14 15:14
    Note: sonhouse, recently lost the sound on my ten year old hp pavilion laptop. Hope to have it operational soon.
    Go to control panel and find sound devices, you might find the sound mute button activated. Just unclick mute and it should start working again.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 12:46
    Go to control panel and find sound devices, you might find the sound mute button activated. Just unclick mute and it should start working again.
    Finally found "Hardware and Sound". I'll explore the several options this weekend. Thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree