1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 18:31
    The weirdest tv show ever returns for 9 episodes.

That is going to be awesome or insanely bad.

I fear that it won't be as good-weird as the first part of the original show but also not as funny bad-weird as the second part.

So it'll be mediocre. Mediocrity sucks balls.

I'll be watching it anyway.
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    19 Oct '14 02:51
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

I fear that it won't be as good-weird as the first part of the original show but also not as funny bad-weird as the second part.

I just started watching Mulholland Drive, which I don't think I've ever seen (no spoilers please). It's a long while since Twin Peaks was shown on British TV but the first half-hour triggered some vague recollections. The style seems eerily similar...or perhaps just eerie. I'm expecting to end up totally confused, but for some reason part of my mind keeps thinking I'll "get it".
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    19 Oct '14 20:551 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I just started watching Mulholland Drive, which I don't think I've ever seen (no spoilers please). It's a long while since Twin Peaks was shown on British TV but the first half-hour triggered some vague recollections. The style seems eerily similar...or perhaps just eerie. I'm expecting to end up totally confused, but for some reason part of my mind keeps thinking I'll "get it".
    I have yet to see Mulholland Drive. I believe it is set in the same "universe" as Twin Peaks.

In fact, I have yet to see most of David Lynch's work. In that sense I'm happy that it's autumn now, I tend to watch a lot more movies in this time of year.

What did you think of Mulholland Drive (no spoilers :-) ?
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    19 Oct '14 20:58
    By the way, I don't think you're supposed to "get" David Lynch. It's more about the experience than the end result.
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 00:05
    I have yet to see Mulholland Drive. I believe it is set in the same "universe" as Twin Peaks.

In fact, I have yet to see most of David Lynch's work. In that sense I'm happy that it's autumn now, I tend to watch a lot more movies in this time of year.

What did you think of Mulholland Drive (no spoilers :-) ?
    I liked it. The suspense was effective and interesting and it was – as you'd expect – disturbingly hallucinatory throughout, while just about maintaining a thread of sense. There were frequent funny scenes, and it makes you feel good if you grasp the humour (or believe you do – you never can never be certain whether or not some of it is unintentional). And, of course, the lead actresses are have sex-appeal in spades. The film did also feel trashy at times and occasionally a bit tedious. Also, you wouldn't want to watch it while not strictly in your right mind, as it might scare you out of your wits (but, being a fan of Lynch, I'm sure that wouldn't happen to you...). I'd certainly watch it again, although I'd probably leave it a few years before doing so to give myself time to forget the details.

As an aside, David Lynch's work is precisely the kind of thing I'd hate to reach a deep understanding of by reading painstaking criticism, or learning about "Lynch, the man": I envisage that I'd feel huge disappointment, saying to myself, "is that it?". But just dipping into it now and again is nicely stimulating and adds a little piquancy to life.
  6. Standard memberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 00:04
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I liked it. The suspense was effective and interesting and it was – as you'd expect – disturbingly hallucinatory throughout, while just about maintaining a thread of sense. There were frequent funny scenes, and it makes you feel good if you grasp the humour (or believe you do – you never can never be certain whether or not some of it is unintentional ...[text shortened]... But just dipping into it now and again is nicely stimulating and adds a little piquancy to life.
    I saw Mulholland Drive, or rather, I tried to. I just could not wrap my head around it and once I was sufficiently confused, just turned the channel to something else.

Same thing happened when I tried to watch Memento.
  7. Standard memberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 00:062 edits

I never saw this on its first run (or subsequent runs).

Are these 9 episodes the entirety of the show? Or is there more?

What network will this be on?
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 00:141 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I saw Mulholland Drive, or rather, I tried to. I just could not wrap my head around it and once I was sufficiently confused, just turned the channel to something else.

Same thing happened when I tried to watch Memento.
    What did you think of Inception, if you saw it? And Shutter Island?
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 08:18
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I never saw this on its first run (or subsequent runs).

Are these 9 episodes the entirety of the show? Or is there more?

What network will this be on?
    Showtime. Although I'll probably catch it on "Internet" 😉

Apparently 9 new episodes is all it will be. The original two seasons consisted of a total of 30 episodes.

Prior to the premiere of the new season Showtime is going to broadcast the original two seasons. However there's also a fancy box of blurays and DVDs available if you want to. There's also the film "Twin Peaks: Fire walk with me", which was produced after the show ended and is a prequel to the show but you shouldn't watch that before watching the series since it contains all kinds of spoilers.
  10. Standard memberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 21:25
    Showtime. Although I'll probably catch it on "Internet" 😉

Apparently 9 new episodes is all it will be. The original two seasons consisted of a total of 30 episodes.

Prior to the premiere of the new season Showtime is going to broadcast the original two seasons. However there's also a fancy box of blurays and DVDs available if you want to. There ...[text shortened]... but you shouldn't watch that before watching the series since it contains all kinds of spoilers.
    Oh, I didn't realize these were new episodes.

I don't have Showtime. Been waiting for the whole series to show up on Netflix, but I guess if Showtime has the rights, then that ain't happening.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 20:28
    I loved Twin Peaks in the nineties. when I had some episodes recorded (*on VHS vcr) because I couldn't see the show when aired. It was a touch of an inspiration.
    A bookish type, as he was, he even described bad guys (some of them being adolescents) convincing.
    He created an oniric feeling that functioned as a propeller in the show.

But he should have finished it. Instead he treated its characters like in any soap opera (was sorry to lose them).
  12. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 18:46
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    I loved Twin Peaks in the nineties. when I had some episodes recorded (*on VHS vcr) because I couldn't see the show when aired. It was a touch of an inspiration.
    A bookish type, as he was, he even described bad guys (some of them being adolescents) convincing.

But he should h ...[text shortened]... finished it. Instead he treated its characters like in any soap opera (was sorry to lose them).
    Had to look this word up:

Oneiric
    adj. formal
    relating to dreams or dreaming.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 15:25
    Originally posted by vandervelde

But he should h ...[text shortened]... finished it. Instead he treated its characters like in any soap opera (was sorry to lose them).
    It’s hardly surprising that you would feel this way, since this is pretty much how Lynch intended Twin Peaks to be. He called it: "Peyton Place meets Blue Velvet."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree