1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 17:44
    Sorry! I am a serious kind of a guy and don't always detect humor. Also sorry for your plight and wish I could be of assistance in mitigating your pain despite not knowing you other than through these posts.
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 19:12
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Better than Gotterdamerung or Siegfried? I actually like all four. Each one remarkably different despite being penned by the same writer.
    I hated Siegfried. Gotterdamerung was all right.

Funny how our usernames are similar. I hope the mods don't ban us from having separate accounts. 😉
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 03:08
    Originally posted by scherzo
    I hated Siegfried. Gotterdamerung was all right.

Funny how our usernames are similar. I hope the mods don't ban us from having separate accounts. 😉
    Scherzo means "joke" in Italian. scacchi means chess and pazzo means nut. Hence chessnut is my handle in english. Most people on this site are fairly cultured and know that the movement after the adagio section of romantic symphonies is a scherzo. PLus your ISP signature, email, etc are different. You are Muslim, I am Christian, etc, etc. We do have lots more in common though and you are obviously smart. Hope you have a good easter! Still cold in Ohio?
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 17:16
    Scherzo means "joke" in Italian. scacchi means chess and pazzo means nut. Hence chessnut is my handle in english. Most people on this site are fairly cultured and know that the movement after the adagio section of romantic symphonies is a scherzo. PLus your ISP signature, email, etc are different. You are Muslim, I am Christian, etc, etc. We do have lot ...[text shortened]... in common though and you are obviously smart. Hope you have a good easter! Still cold in Ohio?
    Most people on this site are fairly cultured and know that the movement after the adagio section of romantic symphonies is a scherzo.

You'd be surprised how stupid some of the weirdos in Debates are. You and I are cultured.

PLus your ISP signature, email, etc are different. You are Muslim, I am Christian, etc, etc. We do have lots more in common though and you are obviously smart.

Again, many in the Debates forum would disagree. I appreciate your compliments though. 🙂

Hope you have a good easter! Still cold in Ohio?

Getting warmer. Thanks and same to you.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 17:28
    We shall some day attain peace when we decide to highlight are commonalities rather than our differences. There is much to admire about Islam, for example, but like all religions there are some points we might find, lets say, disagreeable, otherwise we would all convert to one another's religion. God is great and good and gave us discernment and freedom of concience to decide what's best for us individually. I say what I do about Islam with greatest respect and admiration. Happy Easter to you and may God bless you and your loved ones!
  6. At the Revolution
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 17:37
    We shall some day attain peace when we decide to highlight are commonalities rather than our differences. There is much to admire about Islam, for example, but like all religions there are some points we might find, lets say, disagreeable, otherwise we would all convert to one another's religion. God is great and good and gave us discernment and freedom ...[text shortened]... reatest respect and admiration. Happy Easter to you and may God bless you and your loved ones!
    Same to you! Salaam aleikum! 🙂
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:331 edit
    Is there any moment in opera more powerful, terrifying and painful than Alberich telling Hagen, his son, that he brought him up to hate and Hagen has exceeded all his expectationsin the part near the end of Gotterdammerung? Wagner knew psychology in addition to music. He knew people raise their children to hate and to be instruments of their revenge. Set to glorious music makes the moment seem less terrifying, but still dramatic.
  8. At the Revolution
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 19:50
    Is there any moment in opera more powerful, terrifying and painful than Alberich telling Hagen, his son, that he brought him up to hate and Hagen has exceeded all his expectationsin the part near the end of Gotterdammerung? Wagner knew psychology in addition to music. He knew people raise their children to hate and to be instruments of their revenge. Set to glorious music makes the moment seem less terrifying, but still dramatic.
    In that one opera, in the whole Cycle, or in opera in general?
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 20:30
    IN all of opera. Not saying it's the best, simply that for dramatic moments that one makes me cringe.
  10. At the Revolution
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 21:18
    IN all of opera. Not saying it's the best, simply that for dramatic moments that one makes me cringe.
    For a cringeworthy moment in opera, I would recommend Schoenberg's "Ertawang" (sp?) from 1909.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 00:37
    ONly thing about Schonberg that makes anyone cringe is the dissonance!
  12. At the Revolution
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 00:43
    ONly thing about Schonberg that makes anyone cringe is the dissonance!
    And the pure awkwardness of some of his operas!
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 11:36
    Never could get into Schoenberg or the other 12 tone composers, Alban Berg, Webern. I went to Wozzeck and found it only mildly interesting. I do not decrie modernity since I love Stravinsky and bartok. Exploring new idioms in music cannot go so far it is only understood by other composers. The regular bunch are hard enough for our uncouth ears.
  14. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 18:35
    Berg's Violin Concerto is a nice piece.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 19:15
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    Berg's Violin Concerto is a nice piece.
    my ears are simply too uncouth to understand Berg. I tried his violin concerto. Perhaps I should try again. After all, it did take me quite a few listenings to get the stuff I do like. Some I find more accesible some i find grotesque. I tried Dallapicolla'schoral stuff. Not my cup of tea. I do like some 12 tone string quartets,though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree