1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 12:03
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    Speaking of Dvorak, I just performed his Serenade for Winds over the weekend. I've played it several times before. It's a good piece. I've also played his 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th Symphonies several times.
    Good to have you back, Attila, old horn friend! I love Dvorak's wind serenade. I had the excellent good fortune of hearing it played back to back with Mozart's K361 at Katona, NY in an old robber baron's mansion. Quite the treat although it was ungodly hot. Some consider Dvorak's a tribute to Mozart's.
  2. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 17:50
    I think Brahms B major piano trio starts out with a good tune -- I like the Katchen/Suk/Starker recording of this. I also think the 2nd movement of the B flat string sextet is one of the strongest tunes he wrote.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 22:16
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    I think Brahms B major piano trio starts out with a good tune -- I like the Katchen/Suk/Starker recording of this. I also think the 2nd movement of the B flat string sextet is one of the strongest tunes he wrote.
    I am quite partial to his two cello sonatas. Quite tuneful and un-Brahms-like in that they are wistful yet dark concurrently. I absolutely love his piano quintet. Not melodious, but full of raw power.
  4. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 22:56
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Good to have you back, Attila, old horn friend! I love Dvorak's wind serenade. I had the excellent good fortune of hearing it played back to back with Mozart's K361 at Katona, NY in an old robber baron's mansion. Quite the treat although it was ungodly hot. Some consider Dvorak's a tribute to Mozart's.
    It probably is a tribute to Mozart. Beethoven's Octet and his Rondino certainly are, as is also his Quintet for Piano and Winds. In fact every piece for wind ensemble since Mozart is a tribute to him, including Strauss's Serenade and the Suite for 13 Winds. I've played all the above-mentioned pieces many times.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 11:46
    It probably is a tribute to Mozart. Beethoven's Octet and his Rondino certainly are, as is also his Quintet for Piano and Winds. In fact every piece for wind ensemble since Mozart is a tribute to him, including Strauss's Serenade and the Suite for 13 Winds. I've played all the above-mentioned pieces many times.
    Hearing Mozart and Dvorak back to back is a real treat. However, at an all Mozart program I heard his Sinfonia Concertante, Clarinet Quintet and Horn Quintet done by a local ensemble. It was overwhelming from the sense of being able to hear live what one misses in recordings. Very clever guy, Herr Mozart. He could write melody like we can exhale after every breath. I love Beethoven's Quintet for Piano and Winds. My recording of it also contains Mozart's. Good CD for lone road trips. Makes you get lost in time aand space. Both works full of brilliancies. Beethoven certainly hints at his later ouvre.
  6. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 19:14
    have you folks listened to Rameau's Une symphonie imaginaire with Les Musiciens du Louvre, led by Marc Minkowski?

It is anArchiv Produktion ASIN: B000935TV8
    see
    http://www.amazon.com/Rameau-symphonie-imaginaire-Musiciens-Minkowski/dp/B000935TV8#moreAboutThisProduct

The horns in the 2nd track, Castor et Pollux - Scène funèbre, are wonderful. The 6th track, Les Boréades / Act 1 - Contredanse, will not stop playing in my head and I don't mind.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 22:15
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    have you folks listened to Rameau's Une symphonie imaginaire with Les Musiciens du Louvre, led by Marc Minkowski?

It is anArchiv Produktion ASIN: B000935TV8
    see
    http://www.amazon.com/Rameau-symphonie-imaginaire-Musiciens-Minkowski/dp/B000935TV8#moreAboutThisProduct

The horns in the 2nd track, Castor et Pollux - Scène funèbre, are wonderful. The 6 ...[text shortened]... track, Les Boréades / Act 1 - Contredanse, will not stop playing in my head and I don't mind.
    I have not. I'll have to give it a whir. Love exploring unfamiliar works. The repertory is so vast and so little time. I don't know if you read in an ealrier portion of the thread where I spent some time in NE Italy at a rennaissance music/dance workshop. Some older music is incredible. Played live it was not only wonderful, but the setting fabulous in a 12th cty convent.
  8. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 16:43
    How about Paul Galbraith's double album on Bach sonatas and partitas?

amazing.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 02:39
    I'll have to look into said album as well. Argh! So much to read, os much to listen to. So many places to see!
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '09 20:06
    Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht is a happy discovery from having explored dodecaphony from attila the horn's insistence that I expand my musical horizons. Quite an impressive work of music. Wanted to openly thank attila the horn for steering in this music's direction.

The single movement comprises five sections that correspond to the structure of the po ...[text shortened]... the most often recorded and performed. The work also served as the basis for several ballets.
    In exploring dissonance I started looking at examples where it is briefly used to enhance a mood or add a chromatic device to a dramatic moment. I love Puccini's use of it in Tosca and Manuel de Falla in El Amor Brujo. One can especially enjoy De Falla by listening to a guitar transcription of "Cancion del fuego fatuo" arrng. N.Yepes. Brilliant! Thanks to attila the horn for his guidance in these explorations.
  11. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 15:08
    In exploring dissonance I started looking at examples where it is briefly used to enhance a mood or add a chromatic device to a dramatic moment. I love Puccini's use of it in Tosca and Manuel de Falla in El Amor Brujo. One can especially enjoy De Falla by listening to a guitar transcription of "Cancion del fuego fatuo" arrng. N.Yepes. Brilliant! Thanks to attila the horn for his guidance in these explorations.
    Thank you scacchipazzo for your compliments. Dissonance is like a spice in a meal in traditional harmony. It adds flavour and taste to the music while expressing moods too. Of course, cooks sometimes add too much spice, so this analogy breaks down here because too much dissonance does not necessarily wreck the meal. Sometimes there is almost nothing but dissonance, so much so that it no longer feels like dissonance. So composers are always searching for ever more ways to express what they want to say.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '09 00:48
    Thank you scacchipazzo for your compliments. Dissonance is like a spice in a meal in traditional harmony. It adds flavour and taste to the music while expressing moods too. Of course, cooks sometimes add too much spice, so this analogy breaks down here because too much dissonance does not necessarily wreck the meal. Sometimes there is almost nothing bu ...[text shortened]... ssonance. So composers are always searching for ever more ways to express what they want to say.
    Indeed! I have come to understand and appreciate composers' efforts in this regard. Now I see the progression towards adding "spice". In effect a blend of dissonance and traditional melody is quite pleasing and agreeable. I think of "E lucevan le stelle" by Puccini with its high drama and goergeous lyrics. Never would such words fittingly be represented without a touch of spice.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 11:53
    Just gave the Netrebko-Villazon La Boheme a try. Almost perfect. Has anyone tried out the Traviata version with the same singers? It's supposed to be fabulous!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree