1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 15:16
    Originally posted by jaywill
    * Laughter *
    * Applause *

Okay, I'll tell you what. I think we can settle this simply.

Go to your search engine and look up all kinds of sites about [b]"Hot Women".
    And see what kind of ads and email you start getting after about a week, poping up when your IP address is examined.[/b]
    How many pages do you need to go through until "gang rape" shows up?
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 16:222 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    How many pages do you need to go through until "gang rape" shows up?
    Point taken. However, that as of yet is still illegal.

I find the trend disturbing. If you don't, I understand somewhat.
    Or I understand people's kneejerk reaction to what they may consider vigilante extremism.

I think we men, should take the initiative to decide "Do we really want to let this tendency grow to be a common matter."

In my opinion (which I respect very much) I think it not a good idea. And what goes around can come around and sink its teeth into your backside.

Is it worth it ? "Ooo, this one is hot." "Oooo, that one is hot. She is really hot. Your wife is hot. etc. etc. etc."

Don't you think you have to think some of these trends through sometimes ?
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 17:08
    Pop culture should not discribe women as "hot". This is destructive and dehumanizing.

An observer may say he is hot with his own greedy lust for the appearance of some female. He should discribe his own feeling and not project it on to the woman that she is "hot".

This saying of "hot" women is the lattest male dominated cultural munipulation and fl ...[text shortened]... his plunge to discribe various women as "hot" women. It is more degrading media hype.
    But why do you only go after the men? What about women who describe men as "hot" or "cute"? Aren't they just as guilty?
  4. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 17:14
    Point taken. However, that as of yet is still [b]illegal.

I find the trend disturbing. If you don't, I understand somewhat.
    Or I understand people's kneejerk reaction to what they may consider vigilante extremism.

I think we men, should take the initiative to decide "Do we really want to let this tendency grow to be a common matter."

...[text shortened]... . etc."

Don't you think you have to think some of these trends through sometimes ?[/b]
    **I think we men, should take the initiative to decide "Do we really want to let this tendency grow to be a common matter."**

I don't disagree with this.

**"Ooo, this one is hot." "Oooo, that one is hot. She is really hot. Your wife is hot. etc. etc. etc."**

I think you've latched onto a narrow definition of "hot" when it is used to describe women (or men, for that matter). Common? Sure. But "hot" isn't always used as a degrading adjective, unless you think any adjectives of attraction are inherently degrading - in that case I suppose there's not much to discuss.

For instance, the first time I saw my wife was when she was giving a lecture at a small college where we used to live. I was immediately attracted to her. Not just because of her physical appearance (an important part of attraction, no doubt), but in large part because of her intelligence and presence. I've always been extra attracted to her when she speaks in public and gives presentations/lectures, and I often tell her how "hot" she is when she does. It conveys an attraction in a non-degrading way.

My point is - maybe the thread title should have been "Women should not be degraded as much as they are in the media." The word "hot," in my opinion, is not the best example of this.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 21:27
    Pop culture should not discribe women as "hot". This is destructive and dehumanizing.

An observer may say he is hot with his own greedy lust for the appearance of some female. He should discribe his own feeling and not project it on to the woman that she is "hot".

This saying of "hot" women is the lattest male dominated cultural munipulation and fl ...[text shortened]... his plunge to discribe various women as "hot" women. It is more degrading media hype.
    You sound like a Muslim claiming that men cannot control their lust when a woman doesn't cover her hair.

This connection between the word "hot" and gang rape in your mind is part of your own cultural sickness.

I believe some teenage girls get involved with the kind of trash who gang rape simply because those are the only boys/men who pay attention to her as a sexy female. If this is the case, your advice just makes the problem worse.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 21:29
    Let's put it this way. Do you have a teenage girl child ? Would you like it if it criculated around Facebook of her schools friends that she was "hot"?

How would you feel about it ? Just a matter of her personal attraction huh? No harm ?
    I'd be happy for her! It's unhealthy for teenagers not to explore their sexuality in safe ways like using the word "hot".
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 00:45

Maybe we should just say something like, "I say, Ezekiel, cast thine eyes upon that fetching lass."
  8. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 13:05
    Maybe the problem is your interpretation of the word "hot." My understanding is that it doesn't include the thought that one must have sex with her in the next ten minutes or he'll die. There's a difference between looking sexy or even just getting all dressed up, and expecting men to act out. If I wash the desert dust off my car, does that mean I am inviting someone to steal it because it's all nice and shiny? The women who choose to dress a certain way may do so because they want to feel attractive, or they may do so because they watch too much TV and movies and read magazines about how to be shallow. Who knows? It's their choice to dress as they wish, just as women who don't want to dress that way are free to dress as they wish. To me, if someone calls someone else "hot," they're simply admiring aesthetics -- window-shopping.

What adjective would you prefer? Sexy? Appealing? Cute? How sad that she's too poor to afford more fabric for her outfit?
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 17:48
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Maybe we should just say something like, "I say, Ezekiel, cast thine eyes upon that fetching lass."
    sounds good to me.
  10. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 18:55
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    For instance, the first time I saw my wife was when she was giving a lecture at a small college where we used to live. I was immediately attracted to her. Not just because of her physical appearance (an important part of attraction, no doubt), but in large part because of her intelligence and presence. I've always been extra attracted to her when ...[text shortened]... en tell her how "hot" she is when she does. It conveys an attraction in a non-degrading way.
    Now that I think about it - maybe this is why she left me. 🙂
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 19:23
    I have a friend from Detroit who says "that's hot" to indicate "that's scandalous" or something like that.

This is not the implication for the word for everyone.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 07:16
    Originally posted by rwingett
    This might be a refreshing change.

I'd give the speaker of that line a few more minutes of my attention than another drooling idiot using the word "hot", that's for sure.

Vocabulary goes a long way.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 08:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This might be a refreshing change.

I'd give the speaker of that line a few more minutes of my attention than another drooling idiot using the word "hot", that's for sure.

Vocabulary goes a long way.
    I am somewhat sympathetic to jaywill's umbrage, but not to his instincts wanting to ban it, repress it etc.

I favour a bit of respect and self-respect and for most of my adult life avoided silly, lazy, shallow words.

Vocabulary does matter.

More often than not, if a lyricist uses the word "baby", their card is marked as far as I am concerned.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 16:27
    What a pile of shi**, this is the silliest tread ever!

Calling a women hot is just appreciating the female form and the effort the women has made to look good! Sure what's wrong with feeling a little lust? it's a different story if the man actually acts inappropriately because of this lust!
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 20:12
    I suspect in his particular culture "hot" means "wanting sex", not "very sexy". Small but important difference.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree