1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 16:341 edit
    In an age where some people refer to Elvis as 'The King', notwithstanding the fact that there are many kings in the world who, unlike Mr. Presley, are really kings within the normal understanding of the word, this discussion is quite... er... how should I call it?
  2. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 16:40
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Yes, but that's probably because Latin was used during mass long after common use of Latin disappeared. The words "biblia sacra" probably meant nothing to the common person beyond the label value. In that sense, that the label was adjusted to something more economical isn't that surprising.

Many people still use "Holy Book" or, in my language, "Biblia Sagrada".
    True. Come to think of it, probably every Bible I've ever seen says "Holy Bible" on the front, so I'm not actually sure what Starrman means. Perhaps all books have equally weird titles 😉.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 18:53
    Originally posted by Starrman
    On the contrary, in this particular instance it was not without purpose. The notion of calling a book 'book' is a pretty poor idea.

However, I do admit to usually scorning first and asking questions later...
    I recall you nominating the Bible for 'worst book' in much the same few words in some forgotten thread.

I don't know what the criteria for 'bad' and 'weird' book titles are, to be honest.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 19:04
    Within certain circles is just cool to mock the Bible, regardless if there's a reason or not.

Personally, I think a bad title for a book would be if it would prevent potential readers from opening it, since the most important part of a book is what is inside.

For example, "Wet & Wild" would be a bad title for an astronomy book... unless it would hook into astronomy an audience who otherwise would never get near to that part of science!
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 20:20
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I recall you nominating the Bible for 'worst book' in much the same few words in some forgotten thread.

I don't know what the criteria for 'bad' and 'weird' book titles are, to be honest.
    Ahh, I vaguely remember that. I'm pretty sure it was intended to be somewhat ironic. Besides, as a raving atheist, I'm actually less raving and more atheist these days.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 20:22
    Ahh, I vaguely remember that. I'm pretty sure it was intended to be somewhat ironic. Besides, as a raving atheist, I'm actually less raving and more atheist these days.
    What are the degrees of atheism?
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 21:22
    From hatred to denial?
  8. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 21:242 edits
    You can pass through them by empathising with the Kübler-Ross phases of a dying hypothetical deity.

(And I suppose you can know what they are by empathising with someone's empathy with the deity, etc.)

(This recursion actually circles back on itself, in what Darv might call a Nietzsche-around.)
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 22:18
    So back to bad titles, what about that famous book
    "Hole in the mattress" by Mr Completely?
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 23:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So back to bad titles, what about that famous book
    "Hole in the mattress" by Mr Completely?
    Culture Warrior - bill o'reilly

even though I thought the book was interesting, I thought the title was a bit weird.
    I mean, what does the word "culture warrior" mean anyway? (if you don't know anything about the book).
  11. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 04:11
    On the contrary, in this particular instance it was not without purpose. The notion of calling a book 'book' is a pretty poor idea.

However, I do admit to usually scorning first and asking questions later...
    It's not called "book" the title would be "The Book", as it is still refered to.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 07:34
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    You can pass through them by empathising with the Kübler-Ross phases of a dying hypothetical deity.

(And I suppose you can know what they are by empathising with someone's empathy with the deity, etc.)

(This recursion actually circles back on itself, in what Darv might call a Nietzsche-around.)
    Sounds like being forced to read Heidegger.

Do you know Robert Frost's poem "The Secret Sits"? The full horror of its political implications is jangling my nerves.
  13. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 08:58
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    Come to think of it, probably every Bible I've ever seen says "Holy Bible" on the front.
    My bible says "The Student Bible" on the front. Not sure why...

"The Book of Heroic Failures" by Steve Pile, the then-president of the Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain. He was subsequently ousted from the club after the runaway success of his book...
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 11:17
    Originally posted by Swlabr
    My bible says "The Student Bible" on the front. Not sure why...

"The Book of Heroic Failures" by Steve Pile, the then-president of the Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain. He was subsequently ousted from the club after the runaway success of his book...
    What about 'Jewish Sports Hero's"? It's quick read....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree