Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    21 Jul '16 02:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It would have been more appropriate to put the phrase "such as Sleepyguy" in brackets with your username next as it is not a direct quote from my post.
    No1Marauder likes to quibble when he's not attempting to do worse.

    1) My *parenthetical comment is not intended* as part of what I quoted from No1Marauder.
    2) No1Marauder wrote his post in response to Sleepyguy.
    3) There's every reason to believe that No1Marauder regards Sleepyguy as a 'right-winger'.
    As I recall, No1Marauder has previously criticized Sleepyguy for being a 'right-winger'.
    4) So it's fair usage to mention Sleepyguy as one of the 'right-wingers' described by No1Marauder.

    Now I wonder if No1Marauder will be dishonest enough to deny that he ever has regarded
    Sleepyguy as a 'right-winger' or pretend that he was referring only to 'right-wingers' outside RHP.
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    40034
    21 Jul '16 02:09
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    No1Marauder likes to quibble when he's not attempting to do worse.

    1) My *parenthetical comment is not intended* as part of what I quoted from No1Marauder.
    2) No1Marauder wrote his post in response to Sleepyguy.
    3) There's every reason to believe that No1Marauder regards Sleepyguy as a 'right-winger'.
    As I recall, No1Marauder has previously criticize ...[text shortened]... epyguy as a 'right-winger' or pretend that he was referring only to 'right-wingers' outside RHP.
    You should simply try to follow well-established procedures when quoting someone else. If you don't know them, I'm happy to help.

    I'm not interested in a personalized pissing match with you. I prefer to give SG a chance to respond.
  3. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    21 Jul '16 02:28
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You should simply try to follow well-established procedures when quoting someone else. If you don't know them, I'm happy to help.

    I'm not interested in a personalized pissing match with you. I prefer to give SG a chance to respond.
    I often have used parenthetical comments that are clearly *not* meant to be part of a quotation.
    For instance, I may put a name in parentheses to identify whom a pronoun refers to.

    I have *not* misrepresented No1Marauder with regard to his evident view of Sleepyguy.
    I already know that No1Marauder has previously criticized Sleepyguy for being a 'right-winger'
    in addition to criticizing him about issues of racism.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    40034
    21 Jul '16 04:201 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    I often have used parenthetical comments that are clearly *not* meant to be part of a quotation.
    For instance, I may put a name in parentheses to identify whom a pronoun refers to.

    I have *not* misrepresented No1Marauder with regard to his evident view of Sleepyguy.
    I already know that No1Marauder has previously criticized Sleepyguy for being a 'right-winger'
    in addition to criticizing him about issues of racism.
    Then you are doing it wrong and the example you gave is beside the point.

    Just trying to help; if I had wanted to add the phrase you did I would have but I didn't so it was clearly incorrect for you to do so in a quote without identifying yourself as responsible for the addition. Try to accept his correction of your error with some grace.

    What I think of SG is irrelevant to your error.
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65586
    21 Jul '16 07:37
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Here's the exchange:

    [i]"If you're really optimistic, you can say this was the last time that old white people would command the Republican Party's attention, its platform, its public face," Charles P. Pierce, a writer at large at Esquire magazine, said during the panel discussion.

    In response, Mr. King said: "This whole 'old white people' business ...[text shortened]... ed on their RACE, and is bummed it hasn't happened yet. Why is that not also a racist statement?
    The interviewee does not mention race.

    The interviewer mentions race.

    The interviewee corrects the interviewer.

    zahlanzi loses his mind.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    80175
    21 Jul '16 07:51
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    I often have used parenthetical comments that are clearly *not* meant to be part of a quotation.
    For instance, I may put a name in parentheses to identify whom a pronoun refers to.

    I have *not* misrepresented No1Marauder with regard to his evident view of Sleepyguy.
    I already know that No1Marauder has previously criticized Sleepyguy for being a 'right-winger'
    in addition to criticizing him about issues of racism.
    I think it's normal to use square brackets rather than round ones when doing that.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    21 Jul '16 08:02
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    The interviewee does not mention race.

    The interviewer mentions race.

    The interviewee corrects the interviewer.

    zahlanzi loses his mind.
    "The interviewee corrects the interviewer."
    you can't "correct" someone by making a retarded comment. that's not correcting.


    i can't complain that you don't know that though, you constantly say retarded crap then go giggling convinced you are the greatest.
  8. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    21 Jul '16 17:291 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I think it's normal to use square brackets rather than round ones when doing that.
    OK. I have been using 'round ones' here for years *without* anyone else complaining.
    I certainly did *not* misrepresent No1Marauder, however much he attempts to insinuate that I did.

    No1Marauder has a long record of dishonestly distorting or simply lying about what I write.
    I note No1Marauder's frequent lie that I must personally attack everyone with whom I disagree.
Back to Top