Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 22 Sep '10 11:17 / 1 edit
    "It appeared as a Letter to the Editor in the Daily Illini, the student newspaper of the University of Illinois."

The vast majority of 9/11 observances in this country cannot be seen as politically neutral events. Implicit in their nature are the notions that lives lost at the World Trade Center are more valuable than lives lost in Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine and elsewhere; that the motives of the 9/11 attackers had nothing to do with genuine grievances in the Islamic world regarding American imperialism; and that the U.S. has been justified in the subsequent killing of hundreds of thousands in so-called retaliation.

The observance at Saturday’s football game was no different. A moment of silence was followed by a military airplane flyover; in between, Block-I students chanted “USA, USA.” This was neither patriotism nor remembrance in any justifiable sense, but politicization, militarism, propaganda and bellicosity. The University is a public institution that encompasses the political views of all, not just the most (falsely) “patriotic.” Athletic planners should cease such exploitation for political purposes.

They might at least consider how most Muslim students, American or otherwise, would respond to this nativist display; or better, Muslims and others that live their lives under the threat of our planes, drones and soldiers.

The overwhelmingly white, privileged, Block-I students should be ashamed of their obnoxious, fake-macho, chicken-hawk chant, while poverty-drafted members of their cohort fight and die in illegal and immoral wars for the control of oil. University administrators need to eliminate from all events such “patriotic” observances, which in this country cannot be separated from implicit justifications for state-sponsored killing.

David Green, University Academic Professional

"So you want to send your kids to college? Imbeciles like David Green will be waiting there, ready to indoctrinate them."

http://supportyourlocalgunfighter.com/2010/09/illinois-prof-usa-chant-offensive-to-muslims/
  2. 22 Sep '10 11:41
    And dancing is offensive to Americans. So what?
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    22 Sep '10 11:44
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [b]"So you want to send your kids to college? Imbeciles like David Green will be waiting there, ready to indoctrinate them."[/b]
    Interacting with people one disagrees with, it's a menace, I tell you. A menace.
  4. 22 Sep '10 11:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    Interacting with people one disagrees with, it's a menace, I tell you. A menace.
    I know what you mean. In Iraq America built a number of schools however a number of parents no longer have heir children.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Sep '10 11:51 / 1 edit
    [b] "It appeared as a Letter to the Editor in the Daily Illini, the student newspaper of the University of Illinois."

[quote] The vast majority of 9/11 observances in this country cannot be seen as politically neutral events. Implicit in their nature are the notions that lives lost at the World Trade Center are more valuable than lives lost in
    http://supportyourlocalgunfighter.com/2010/09/illinois-prof-usa-chant-offensive-to-muslims/[/b]
    Well, this clown is a first class douchebag, I'll grant you that.

But he is just one guy stating his opinion, however stupid it may be. He can say what he wants. I don't see a problem here. If the University administrators took his "suggestions" that would be something to complain about.
  6. 22 Sep '10 11:56
    Saying the word Iraq is indoctrination. Shhh... don't talk about it, sweep it under the carpet and go with your pretend thoughts that the mission is nothing but a success and nobody got hurt like the nothing that happened to you.
  7. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    22 Sep '10 11:59
    [b] "It appeared as a Letter to the Editor in the Daily Illini, the student newspaper of the University of Illinois."

[quote] The vast majority of 9/11 observances in this country cannot be seen as politically neutral events. Implicit in their nature are the notions that lives lost at the World Trade Center are more valuable than lives lost in ...[text shortened]...
    http://supportyourlocalgunfighter.com/2010/09/illinois-prof-usa-chant-offensive-to-muslims/[/b]
    Random person has a polarized opinion. Shocking stuff.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Sep '10 12:01
    Originally posted by Brainevolution
    Saying the word Iraq is indoctrination. Shhh... don't talk about it, sweep it under the carpet and go with your pretend thoughts that the mission is nothing but a success and nobody got hurt like the nothing that happened to you.
    This is not about Iraq. This is about this guy claiming that merely chanting "USA" at a sporting event equates to all these political assertions. Chanting "USA" is affirming support for your country, not making assertions about political issues or justifying historical events.

Even making the connection is typical of a hysterical angry left wing loon.
  9. 22 Sep '10 12:04
    Anyone defending patriotism is defending the death of billions. Don't see what muslims in particular have to do with that though.
  10. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    22 Sep '10 12:05
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Anyone defending patriotism is defending the death of billions.
  11. 22 Sep '10 12:16
    Originally posted by sh76
    This is not about Iraq. This is about this guy claiming that merely chanting "USA" at a sporting event equates to all these political assertions. Chanting "USA" is affirming support for your country, not making assertions about political issues or justifying historical events.

Even making the connection is typical of a hysterical angry left wing loon.
    The planes killed people in Iraq. To them it would be offensive and I'm sure people in Iraq will find peace against American extremism through people like him even if he also sneaks in a few lies and untruths in there.
  12. 22 Sep '10 12:27
    [b]Anyone defending patriotism is defending the death of billions.
    When people chant USA, I think they are merely rooting for their country, their set of laws, the people they know and grew up with, their way of life. The people they share a country with. It is hard for me to imagine anyone chants "USA" in support of killing of billions
  13. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    22 Sep '10 12:29
    Anyone defending patriotism is defending the death of billions. Don't see what muslims in particular have to do with that though.
    "Billions?" Billions of what, exactly? There's barely seven billion people on the planet, so you couldn't be referencing that number.
  14. 22 Sep '10 12:35
    Originally posted by quackquack
    When people chant USA, I think they are merely rooting for their country, their set of laws, the people they know and grew up with, their way of life. The people they share a country with. It is hard for me to imagine anyone chants "USA" in support of killing of billions
    Chanting their AmeriKoran like the Jews chant the Torah.

This is the mentality you can find in America. Did the people in the white coats take them all away??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FABqq_jjRRo
  15. 22 Sep '10 12:38
    Originally posted by Brainevolution
    Chanting their AmeriKoran like the Jews chant the Torah.

This is the mentality you can find in America. Did the people in the white coats take them all away??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FABqq_jjRRo
    There is just nothing at all offensive about chanting USA. In fact even though I like it, there is far more to be offended about by football itself.