Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 20:59
    Do you think any of our music that has been made since say 1940-2018 will be played or listened to by the people 100 years from now?

If so, what genre and what band(s) do you think would still be relevant 100 years from now? Think of all the technological innovations that would have happened between now and then before you answer.
  2. Stargazing
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 21:03
    Originally posted by @uzless
    Do you think any of our music that has been made since say 1940-2018 will be played or listened to by the people 100 years from now?

If so, what genre and what band(s) do you think would still be relevant 100 years from now? Think of all the technological innovations that would have happened between now and then before you answer.
    In 100 years we will all be long gone and hopefully so will our species; all that will remain is a few million plastic bottles and this amazing planet we once lived on.
  3. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 21:05

I think Beethoven's 9th symphony will still make the rounds.

As will Sgt Pepper.
    Kanye ?? I doubt it.

I remember a lovely meal at a fine Montreal restaurant 20 years ago.
    What cereal I had yesterday ??
    Nah !!
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 21:06

White Christmas will still be played.
  5. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 21:121 edit

Good question. I've thought of this in the past. It's a good topic.

Like most people, I like music from the Mozart/Beethoven era. (Late 1700s through the early 1800s) So, it's not unreasonable to expect future generations to venerate some of our time's musical talent. I can only speak of music I know...which is Western.

Having said that, 100 years from now, I think people will appreciate:
    - The Beatles
    - John Coltrane
    - Frank Sinatra
    - Nirvana
    - REM

πŸ™‚ For starters.
  6. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 21:15
    Hopefully this one will still be on digital audio somewhere in the archives... "if man is still alive."

YouTube : 2525
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 21:18

How much music more than 100 years old is still widely appreciated by people today?
    Let history be a guide.
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 22:31

This classic will NEVER die...

YouTube
  9. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 22:58
    I think people will just listen to genres far more in depth and tat music will be far more disposable.

I think people will both download stuff like "one hundred years of black metal / drum n bass / Kpop" etc and you'll have major Otaku who will literally listen to the discographies of bands from over the last century, very excitedly.

I think There'll actually be next level DJ shows for every genr of music where the goal is to unearth decades old, obscure tunes and bring them to people's attention.

Of course, many normies are going to walk around only excited about like stupid rappers and acoustic pop fart whistles but what can I say.

The poor you shall always have with you.
  10. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 23:00

100 years from now? I'm sorry to say, none of it from that period will be relevant.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 23:161 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    Good question. I've thought of this in the past. It's a good topic.

Like most people, I like music from the Mozart/Beethoven era. (Late 1700s through the early 1800s) So, it's not unreasonable to expect future generations to venerate some of our time's musical talent. I can only speak of music I know...which is Western.

Having said that, 100 years fro ...[text shortened]... iate:
    - The Beatles
    - John Coltrane
    - Frank Sinatra
    - Nirvana
    - REM

πŸ™‚ For starters.
    Bob Dylan, remember, he got the Nobel Prize in literature AND oscar and many other awards.

If they are saved, people might listen to folk music, that is, music not made in studios requiring 64 tracks and digital tricks to make them sound salable.

I think there will be a time when simple singer plus guitar or uke or fiddle will be seen in a different light in another 100 years.

Music of the real people going on in parallel with the fake commercial so-called music of today and yesterday that gets lost in 6 months.

Throwaway music that meant nothing but sales figures ATT and a year later, in the dust bin that included cassettes of disco dance music, a genre that died a well deserved death.
    Same with DJ 'music' using samples of other people's work just for a night of dancing in a cheap bar.

It will be real human stories that will live in a hundred or 2 hundred years from now, assuming of course there are humans around with enough of an advanced society able to find and play such music in whatever formats for music shows up in the next century.

One problem is with archiving. CD's and DVD's have a limited lifespan because of moisture getting in and destroying the optically active micron thick layer so there may be no way of playing such CD's on ANY equipment a hundred years ahead because even if a CD player works fine the dots of the music are gone and it would be up to forensic media archaeologists that may find a way to analyse the plastic layers covering up such data bits.

So assuming no mold gets into records, they might be the main format surviving the next couple of centuries, vinyl and we already have laser systems, non-contact methods of playing those recordings so they get zero extra damage from playback.
    Archiving digital files is a bit problematic also, magnetic storage only lasts so long and a hard drive 100 years sitting in a cave will probably lose most of it's recorded bits in that amount of time so 78 RPM and 33 and 45 RPM vinyl may be the only thing around in the far future if they are kept in a reasonably clean environment and a neutral atmosphere. There are archive technologies talked about where lasers drill holes in ultrathin gold sheets and such and read out of course by such a lasers but I think that tech is still in the labs and they need to start serious archives right now, or ten years ago before the present tech is useless to playback.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '18 01:23

Only one song will survive.

YouTube
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jun '18 06:35
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Only one song will survive.

[youtube]jcF-1AoDO18[/youtube]
    I don't understand the wordsπŸ™‚