Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 04 Mar '16 15:56
    College liberals showing their true face when they are in power, they don't believe in freedom of expression , they believe in totalitarian control of the mind and spirit whenever something doesn't fit their sick agenda.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/party-culture/2016/03/03/fdb46cc4-e185-11e5-9c36-e1902f6b6571_story.html
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    04 Mar '16 16:56 / 1 edit
    While this college may have overreacted, is stopping racism really a "sick" agenda?

According to the link, this school had two other instances of "racially insensitive" events prior to this one, including a party where people dressed up as black stereotypes. So while tripping over tiny sombreros may be a bit much, I can at least understand where their overcautious mindset comes from.
  3. 04 Mar '16 17:05 / 6 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    While this college may have overreacted, is stopping racism really a "sick" agenda?

According to the link, this school had two other instances of "racially insensitive" events prior to this one, including a party where people dressed up as black stereotypes. So while tripping over tiny sombreros may be a bit much, I can at least understand where their overcautious mindset comes from.
    OMG they wore party hats let's kill them.

And the two other "instances" were when some students wore cornrows and gold chains and then a Thanksgiving party where they wore native american clothing.
    The horror......the horror.....how dare they!

Freedom of expression should be banned !
    I bet these are the same people that wear little green hats on St. Patrick's Day.
    How insensitive.
    I do see where you are coming from, vivify, people should not be allowed to have costume parties.
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    04 Mar '16 17:37
    Originally posted by FishHead111

I do see where you are coming from, vivify, people should not be allowed to have costume parties.
    1) I said (twice) that this college probably overreacted over hats.
    2) Costume parties are fine. There's just no need to dress up as racial stereotypes.
  5. 04 Mar '16 18:16
    2) Costume parties are fine. There's just no need to dress up as racial stereotypes.
    There's no "probably" about it.
    What's sad is they are not backing down and are carrying through with it.
    And what's wrong with dressing up as racial stereotypes for theme-parties?
    Why is that evil?
    Are you against St Patrick's Day when everyone wears green hats , etc?
  6. 04 Mar '16 18:32
    College liberals showing their true face when they are in power, they don't believe in freedom of expression , they believe in totalitarian control of the mind and spirit whenever something doesn't fit their sick agenda.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/party-culture/2016/03/03/fdb46cc4-e185-11e5-9c36-e1902f6b6571_story.html
    You racist, misogynist, bigoted pig you.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Mar '16 19:02
    Wearing a costume sombrero is a "racial stereotype"??

Seriously?

Is it also a micro-aggression?
  8. Standard member vivify
    rain
    04 Mar '16 19:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Wearing a costume sombrero is a "racial stereotype"??

Seriously?
    Never said it was. I was referring to when students dressed up as black stereotypes with the "gangsta" party.
  9. 04 Mar '16 19:40
    Liberals and conservatives alike, often react to speech they don't like with suggestions of censorship. Whether government is in the hands of one or the other, government or the State will always seek to control everything.
  10. 04 Mar '16 19:47

The problem often arises out of unequal responses to various ethnic symbols. It is far more likely that a "White" symbol is singled out for ostracism, than is a Black or Hispanic one.

It is extremely doubtful is this type of action is going to stop racism. It may actually antagonize those so inclined.
  11. Standard member vivify
    rain
    04 Mar '16 20:51
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The problem often arises out of unequal responses to various ethnic symbols. It is far more likely that a "White" symbol is singled out for ostracism, than is a Black or Hispanic one.

It is extremely doubtful is this type of action is going to stop racism. It may actually antagonize those so inclined.
    A "white" symbol? Like what? The Confederate flag?
  12. Standard member Soothfast
    04 Mar '16 20:56
    A "white" symbol? Like what? The Confederate flag?
    Viking helmet.
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    04 Mar '16 21:02

Are you against St Patrick's Day when everyone wears green hats , etc?
    I said (twice) that this college probably overreacted over hats.

And what's wrong with dressing up as racial stereotypes for theme-parties?
    Why is that evil?

As a member of the race that (as a whole) has never had to face oppression or discrimination, I guess the reason can be lost on you; but as a member of the race that (at some point in time) oppressed every other race on earth, it shouldn't be hard to guess why.
  14. Standard member vivify
    rain
    04 Mar '16 21:02
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Viking helmet.
    When was this singled out for "ostracism" like normbenign was saying?
  15. Standard member Soothfast
    04 Mar '16 21:07
    When was this singled out for "ostracism" like normbenign was saying?
    I'm just saying a Viking helmet could be taken as a "white symbol", seeing as there were probably very, very, very few "Vikings of color".