Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 06 Aug '11 08:07 / 2 edits
    Who is the 2nd worst President in US history...?
    Since Obama is now inarguably firmly entrenched as the worst.

Let's look at his accomplishments:

Complete destruction of the US economy and getting worse.

Unemployment approaching depression era levels.

Has nearly bankrupted the United States.

Can't pass a budget with Republicans OR democrats in congress.

Significantly devalued the dollar by essentially just printing money. (at the rate we're going the dollar will have lost HALF its value in one Presidential term. )

The absolute abomination he calls a health care plan.

More wars than Bush.

Ended the space program.

And, today, for the first time in history, has lowered the US debt rating.

oh...and the subsequent stock market crash because of the above.
  2. 06 Aug '11 08:13
    My vote would be Carter
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Aug '11 08:17
    Originally posted by savage4731
    Complete destruction of the US economy and getting worse.
    In economic terms, what is "worse" than the "complete" destruction of an economy? If the U.S. economy has been completely destroyed, as you claim, in what way is it still "getting worse"?
  4. 06 Aug '11 08:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    In economic terms, what is "worse" than the "complete" destruction of an economy? If the U.S. economy has been completely destroyed, as you claim, in what way is it still "getting worse"?
    Its linear
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Aug '11 08:22
    More wars than Bush.
    Hasn't the withdrawal of most U.S. troops from Iraq been a good thing? Wouldn't you say Obama and the U.S. military shown backbone in Afghanistan, in the face of stern challenges?
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Aug '11 08:25 / 1 edit
    Its linear
    Perhaps you would answer the question? I am in a different country from you, and I do not perceive that there has been a "complete destruction of the U.S. economy" perpetrated by Obama. So you need to explain your claim. And you might also explain how "destruction" can "get worse" once it is deemed "complete". They are your claims, savage4731; you need to explain them.
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Aug '11 08:27
    Ended the space program.
    Many argue that this is a good thing - especially in terms of the hard choices the U.S. has to make in terms of spending and priorities. You wanted the space program to continue as before?
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Aug '11 08:29
    Unemployment approaching depression era levels.
    What was the peak depression era level of unemployment? What is the level now?
  9. 06 Aug '11 08:30
    I don' think he economy has been competely destroyed, but people are going to need to apt to what has happen.... can't keep stretching beyond our means, and not expect things to coming crashing down,,
  10. 06 Aug '11 08:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Hasn't the withdrawal of most U.S. troops from Iraq been a good thing? Wouldn't you say Obama and the U.S. military shown backbone in Afghanistan, in the face of stern challenges?
    http://hotair.com/archives/2011/08/05/iraq-begins-negotiations-to-keep-us-troop-presence/
  11. 06 Aug '11 08:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps you would answer the question? I am in a different country from you, and I do not perceive that there has been a "complete destruction of the U.S. economy" perpetrated by Obama. So you need to explain your claim. And you might also explain how "destruction" can "get worse" once it is deemed "complete". They are your claims, savage4731; you need to explain them.
    I already did. Sorry if you didn't understand it.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Aug '11 08:35
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    I don' think he economy has been competely destroyed...
    Sounds totally ludicrous to even claim it, wouldn't you say? You've got China, Japan, Germany, France and others. You've also got the 'E.U.' if you count it as one. So isn't the U.S. either #1 or arguably #2? Seems outlandish to claim the U.S. economy has been "completely destroyed", surely?
  13. 06 Aug '11 08:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    What was the peak depression era level of unemployment? What is the level now?
    The unemployment rate is determined differently now than it was during the 1930s. I've heard estimates of around 22% using 1930s methodology. The great depression peaked at just under 25%. Since unemployment is still increasing its very likely we'll hit that in the near future.
  14. 06 Aug '11 08:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    Many argue that this is a good thing - especially in terms of the hard choices the U.S. has to make in terms of spending and priorities. You wanted the space program to continue as before?
    The space program stimulates the economy and inspires people. Two things in short supply right now. In reality, because of the ecoomic benefits, cutting space exploration doesn't really save money. It just deprives us of something that stimulates our economy, helps our military and inspires people to learn math and science. I don't see any good in ending it.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Aug '11 08:42
    The unemployment rate is determined differently now than it was during the 1930s. I've heard estimates of around 22% using 1930s methodology. The great depression peaked at just under 25%. Since unemployment is still increasing its very likely we'll hit that in the near future.
    So you are comparing the highest unemployment rate you've "heard" for 2011 and comparing it to the 1930s and passing this off as "methodology"? When you were looking into this, did you "hear" any estimates that were lower than 22%? What was 1930s' peak unemployment rate using 2011 methodology?