Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 07 Nov '12 14:35
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2229268/Puerto-Rico-votes-favour-statehood-eying-Nations-51st-state.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

"In a two-part referendum 75,188 or 53 per cent voted to change Puerto Rico’s 114-year relationship with the U.S. with 65 per cent voting in favour of statehood among alternatives of greater autonomy or independence."

So should/would congress approve this?

If so, how long will it take for the old 50 star flags to become collector's items?
  2. 08 Nov '12 08:12
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2229268/Puerto-Rico-votes-favour-statehood-eying-Nations-51st-state.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

"In a two-part referendum 75,188 or 53 per cent voted to change Puerto Rico’s 114-year relationship with the U.S. with 65 per cent voting in favour of statehood among alternatives of greater autonomy or independence."

So ...[text shortened]... this?

If so, how long will it take for the old 50 star flags to become collector's items?
    I would love to see that. Though I know the Republicans will never allow it. That would be two automatic Democrat senators added to the Senate. Also wouldn't mind seeing DC get direct representation in the Senate.
  3. Standard member Soothfast
    08 Nov '12 08:31
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I would love to see that. Though I know the Republicans will never allow it. That would be two automatic Democrat senators added to the Senate. Also wouldn't mind seeing DC get direct representation in the Senate.
    God, the Republicans would flip out at the proposal to admit more Hispanics into the electorate.
  4. 08 Nov '12 12:55
    It might be a bit more mixed. Puerto Rico is very Catholic and may be fairly socially conservative. I would say it probably leans more benefits to the democrats though.

It might be a good political issue for Obama to push for Puerto Rican statehood and force the republicans to decide to block it or not.
  5. 08 Nov '12 13:44
    I think you will see a big shift in the near future on immigration issues. The republicans need to court Hispanics and considering how socially conservative many Hispanics are it should be a good fit. I really think a big shift in demographics is coming to the republican party soon.
  6. 08 Nov '12 14:04
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I think you will see a big shift in the near future on immigration issues. The republicans need to court Hispanics and considering how socially conservative many Hispanics are it should be a good fit. I really think a big shift in demographics is coming to the republican party soon.
    The GOP needs to do more than that. I say they hand out free cell phones to anyone crossing the border.
  7. 08 Nov '12 14:22
    It might be a bit more mixed. Puerto Rico is very Catholic and may be fairly socially conservative. I would say it probably leans more benefits to the democrats though.

It might be a good political issue for Obama to push for Puerto Rican statehood and force the republicans to decide to block it or not.
    Puerto Rico as a state would almost certainty add two Democrat senators to the Senate, and the Republicans would almost certainty block such statehood. This has been known and discussed for a long time.

What it would take is a Democrat president, Democrat control of the House, and Democrat control of the Senate with 60 votes or with a change in the Senate rules that prohibit a filibuster for a statehood vote.
  8. 08 Nov '12 14:22
    The demographics are plain and simple and they aren't helping the republicans right now.

I think the Republicans definitely need to rethink and retool their messaging and their policies to court that vote. I believe society is getting more socially liberal in many ways and that will include hispanics so I don't think the republicans can simply count on socially conservative issues to court that vote.
  9. 08 Nov '12 14:25
    Puerto Rico as a state would almost certainty add two Democrat senators to the Senate, and the Republicans would almost certainty block such statehood. This has been known and discussed for a long time.

What it would take is a Democrat president, Democrat control of the House, and Democrat control of the Senate with 60 votes or with a change in the Senate rules that prohibit a filibuster for a statehood vote.
    That's one reason why it frankly might be a good political issue for Obama to push. By putting that on the radar he puts the Republicans in a position where they have to either vote for it (or at least not filibuster in the senate) and hand Obama a "win" in something he got or hand the Democratic party a big political talking point to point out that the Republicans blocked it.
  10. 08 Nov '12 14:27
    It is true that many Hispanics are conservative, but the Republican Party will continue to get hammered on the Latino American vote if the Republican Party does not embrace comprehensive immigration reform, and tone down the right-wing harsh (inhumane and racist) rhetoric on illegal immigration. Again, Latino Americans can be conservative, and they do want strong enforcement on immigration but along with comprehensive immigration reform. Many Republican politicians know that but they are afraid to embrace comprehensive immigration reform because they are afraid they would lose the primary.
  11. 08 Nov '12 14:30
    That's one reason why it frankly might be a good political issue for Obama to push. By putting that on the radar he puts the Republicans in a position where they have to either vote for it (or at least not filibuster in the senate) and hand Obama a "win" in something he got or hand the Democratic party a big political talking point to point out that the Republicans blocked it.
    Maybe. You would think it would look bad for the Republicans to block statehood for Puerto Rico if Puerto Rico clearly wanted such. After all, they are already a US territory and integrated with the US, and the Republicans would be blocking for sheer political reasons.
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Nov '12 14:35 / 2 edits
    Maybe. You would think it would look bad for the Republicans to block statehood for Puerto Rico if Puerto Rico clearly wanted such. After all, they are already a US territory and integrated with the US, and the Republicans would be blocking for sheer political reasons.
    PR did not vote for statehood. 53% voted for change and of those, 65% voted to prefer statehood. That means that only 37% voted for statehood. I don't think it should be discussed on the federal level until there is a PR election where 50%+ vote for statehood. We're not going to force them to become a state, so until they want to, what's the point?
  13. 08 Nov '12 14:40
    Originally posted by sh76
    PR did not vote for statehood. 53% voted for change and of those, 65% votes to prefer statehood. That means that only 37% voted for statehood. I don't think it should be discussed on the federal level until there is a PR election where 50%+ cote for statehood. We're not going to force them to become a state, so until they want to, what's the point?
    Yeah, I was reading some of the same stuff you say. Some of the headlines have been misleading. It is not clear at all the PR favors statehood.
  14. 08 Nov '12 14:43
    Originally posted by sh76
    PR did not vote for statehood. 53% voted for change and of those, 65% votes to prefer statehood. That means that only 37% voted for statehood. I don't think it should be discussed on the federal level until there is a PR election where 50%+ cote for statehood. We're not going to force them to become a state, so until they want to, what's the point?
    I don't think anyone is suggesting we force them into it, but it could be an issue to bring up.

I was reading more about the news from PR and it seems even less likely - the new governor is from a party that doesn't favor statehood so I doubt he'd put on a national referendum to finally decide the matter without significant pressure from Puerto Ricans.