Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    16 Apr '13 00:32
    Well it used to be the UK but will it be Puerto Rica?
    What is the feeling in the US?

I guess if the US wont let them join they can apply to the EU for membership!
  2. 16 Apr '13 01:02
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

Historically Puetoricans not wanted Statehood. I don't know of anything that would change that.
  3. 16 Apr '13 01:17
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Historically Puetoricans not wanted Statehood. I don't know of anything that would change that.
    "On November 6, 2012, eligible voters in the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico were presented with two questions. First, when asked to approve or reject Puerto Rico's current status as a commonwealth, voters rejected it 54% to 46%.

When then asked to choose their preferred status for Puerto Rico, 61.15% of those who marked an option chose statehood. Of the total of voters who submitted ballots, 44.2% chose statehood while 24% of ballots were submitted blank. The preferred status consultation did not include Puerto Rico's current status (Estado Libre Asociado as defined by the 1952 Constitution) as a choice, but instead an alternative named "E.L.A. Soberano"[2] Pro-statehood advocates claim this was the first time the island has voted for statehood. President Barack Obama has pledged to respect the voters' decision.[3] President Barack Obama recently said that the majority has spoken in favor of statehood and urged Congress to pick up the tab.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statehood_movement_in_Puerto_Rico

I spent a fair amount of time in PR in the 70's - 90's and found my colleagues there , generally middle to upper middle class bilinguals, to be ambivalent but amenable to whatever happened. What they really opposed was becoming an independent country. At the time there was a significant tax break (Section 936 of the tax code) for US companies setting up manufacturing facilities in PR and man pharma companies did. This brought skilled and professional employment providing an economic ladder to climb. I have not researched the current status of section 936 but the issue could swing on things like that.
  4. 16 Apr '13 01:29
    Originally posted by JS357
    "On November 6, 2012, eligible voters in the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico were presented with two questions. First, when asked to approve or reject Puerto Rico's current status as a commonwealth, voters rejected it 54% to 46%.

When then asked to choose their preferred status for Puerto Rico, 61.15% of those who marked an option chose statehood. Of the tota ...[text shortened]... arched the current status of section 936 but the issue could swing on things like that.
    Statehood would give up some dependent benefits. I wasn't aware of the latest polls, but in the past Statehood has been offered and rejected.

The current status is the best of both worlds.
  5. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    16 Apr '13 02:11
    It was my understanding that opinion in Puerto Rica was roughly 50-50.
    However I was more interested in what US citizens thought of it.

Can you ever see a future US of 52 states? Who else might join?
  6. 16 Apr '13 15:42
    the joke is that americans do not want puerto rico as a state because they don't know where on the flag to put the 51st star
  7. 16 Apr '13 15:47
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    the joke is that americans do not want puerto rico as a state because they don't know where on the flag to put the 51st star
    Now see there Shlongski, it is kinda fun to poke fun at folks isn't it. Just light hearted fun and funny to boot!!! We are a lot alike really. If you get some edumacation and granulate from kolij I wouldn't be a bit circumcised if you could be a mini me!!!!
  8. 16 Apr '13 16:24
    It was my understanding that opinion in Puerto Rica was roughly 50-50.
    However I was more interested in what US citizens thought of it.

Can you ever see a future US of 52 states? Who else might join?
    Some Americans might object to Puerto Rico because of the imperialistic origins of the relationship. Others might see it as an extension and expansion of the welfare State.

The votes have always been close, but I don't see any great urgency to include more States.
  9. 16 Apr '13 16:46
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    6 rows: 9 stars alternating with 8 stars.

But I'd prefer a random scattering.
  10. 16 Apr '13 17:00
    Some Americans might object to Puerto Rico because of the imperialistic origins of the relationship. Others might see it as an extension and expansion of the welfare State.

The votes have always been close, but I don't see any great urgency to include more States.
    There is a pretty good analysis at

http://politic365.com/2012/11/05/puerto-rico-votes-on-stats-a-primer-on-statehood/

Here are some excerpts:

"Those [Puerto RIcans] who actively oppose statehood, rather than simply backing their non-colonial option, claim that statehood will rid Puerto Rico of its Latin culture and idiosyncrasy, in the same way Hawaii’s native culture has been all but decimated. "

"Others point to the argument that the United States will never grant Puerto Rico statehood given its poor economic development and distinct cultural heritage, or because a 51st state would have more or equal electoral pull than 31 states. After all, why would 31 states decide to vote in favor of diminishing their congressional and electoral power?"

"Puerto Rico’s admission as a state would have profound changes for the United States. Puerto Rico has made it clear it while it is interested in achieving a greater acceptance of the English language, it will not give up Spanish as its main language. Local courts would still run in Spanish, local agencies would have to continue running in Spanish, and education would still need to be primarily in Spanish. The United States would have to accept a multi-linguistic state without conditioning admission to the full-scale adoption of English (such as New Mexico). As the Latino vote gains higher importance in elections, a fully Latino 51st state would have all the ingredients to shake things up in the Union."
  11. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    16 Apr '13 17:42

50 is a nice round number. I think many people in America want to keep it that way.
  12. 18 Apr '13 00:04

Should be DC. Right now we have taxation without representation.
  13. 18 Apr '13 00:38
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Should be DC. Right now we have taxation without representation.
    Intentionally left out. I can see the motives for getting it in. Two more Senators on the left.
  14. 18 Apr '13 01:10
    ohboy while the US is at it why not make Haiti a state?
  15. 18 Apr '13 20:19
    Intentionally left out. I can see the motives for getting it in. Two more Senators on the left.
    Well that's certainly an incentive for keeping them out.