Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Jan '17 23:39
    Did anyone catch the Chicago homicides story (it led off 60 Minutes last night)?

The main interviewee (an African American woman whose son was killed in a gang-related shooting) absolutely ripped police for backing down from policing this inner-city area. The police chief interviewed, while dwelling on semantics, all but admitted that the police have backed down due to pressure from liberal groups concerned about police conduct.

It's hard to make a sweeping judgment from the views of a couple of interviewees, but I'm wondering what others thought of this. Do civil rights groups holding police accountable end up hurting the people in the inner city?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-crisis-in-chicago-gun-violence/

We went looking for accountability from Chicago’s new police superintendent, Eddie Johnson. He worked his way up over a 28-year career.

Eddie Johnson: If I found someone that was intentionally not doing his job, then I would discipline him. This is a tough job. It’s a dangerous job. But it’s also a noble job.

Johnson insisted the main reasons for the drop in police activity were stricter standards for stops and the forms triggered by the ACLU. But he admitted his cops have become more careful.

Eddie Johnson: They are cautious about doing their jobs.

Bill Whitaker: You are calling it caution. They’re telling us it’s backing down.

Eddie Johnson: You know I still go out in the field and I talk to officers too. And they take offense to people referring to them as backing down or not doing their job.

Bill Whitaker: The one number that I think is not in dispute is the homicide rate has gone-- not just the rate, the--

Eddie Johnson: Skyrocketed.

Bill Whitaker: --number of homicides have skyrocketed. So the number of stops and arrests are going down dramatically. And the number of people being shot and killed are going up dramatically. There’s got to be a correlation.

Eddie Johnson: Well, you know, there may be some, you know? But again I-- I’d have to go back to it’s not what the police officers are not doing. It’s more about what these-- what the criminal if-- offenders are doing.

Bill Whitaker: But don’t the police pay a role?

Eddie Johnson: Yeah we play a role in terms of mitigating it.

Bill Whitaker: But it’s not being mitigated.
  2. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 00:01
    Originally posted by sh76
    Did anyone catch the Chicago homicides story (it led off 60 Minutes last night)?

The main interviewee (an African American woman whose son was killed in a gang-related shooting) absolutely ripped police for backing down from policing this inner-city area. The police chief interviewed, while dwelling on semantics, all but admitted that the police have backed ...[text shortened]... e play a role in terms of mitigating it.

Bill Whitaker: But it’s not being mitigated.[/quote]
    What? You want your cake and eat too?
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 00:29

The main interviewee (an African American woman whose son was killed in a gang-related shooting) absolutely ripped police for backing down from policing this inner-city area. The police chief interviewed, while dwelling on semantics, all but admitted that the police have backed ...[text shortened]... e play a role in terms of mitigating it.

That's some impressive mind reading you did there considering none of the quotes given support such a theory:

Chief Johnson: You know I still go out in the field and I talk to officers too. And they take offense to people referring to them as backing down or not doing their job

Chief Johnson: But again I-- I’d have to go back to it’s not what the police officers are not doing. It’s more about what these-- what the criminal if-- offenders are doing.

Does implicitly denying equal "all but admitted" in Sh76speak?
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 01:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That's some impressive mind reading you did there considering none of the quotes given support such a theory:

Chief Johnson: You know I still go out in the field and I talk to officers too. And they take offense to people referring to them as backing down or not doing their job

Chief Johnson: But again I-- I’d have to go back to it’s not what the ...[text shortened]... al if-- offenders are doing.

Does implicitly denying equal "all but admitted" in Sh76speak?
    ===Johnson insisted the main reasons for the drop in police activity were stricter standards for stops and the forms triggered by the ACLU.===
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 01:371 edit
    ===Johnson insisted the main reasons for the drop in police activity were stricter standards for stops and the forms triggered by the ACLU.===
    Except that's not a quote but the author of the article's spin which seems contradicted by the Chief's actual statements.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 03:22
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Except that's not a quote but the author of the article's spin which seems contradicted by the Chief's actual statements.
    Presumably, it was based on statements that didn't necessarily make the televised component of the story. I see no reason to assume that the reporter would lie about an assertion that his interviewee made. This is 60 Minutes, not Breitbart.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 03:49

yes, they are totally within their rights to stop doing their job because some asked them to do it properly.