Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 27 Jun '13 11:19
    http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/a-30-second-guide-to-how-gay-marriage-ruling-affects-you/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Millions of people, most of whom are neither gay nor looking to get same-sex married, are loudly asking on the Internet how exactly this case impacts their life.

For them we have provided a handy guide:

If You Are a Homosexual and Are Already Married:
    The federal government now recognizes your marriage as a thing, and you are eligible for tax, health, and pension benefits under federal law like any other married couple, pending further political shenanigans. You can file taxes jointly, all that crap.

If You Are a Homosexual and Want to Get Married:
    This does nothing to affect you UNLESS you live in California. States are still free to decide whether or not same-sex marriage is legal; if you live in Mississippi, this does not help you. But, the voter initiative to ban gay marriage in California is now dead, pending further legal challenges or other fukery.

If You Are a Heterosexual and Do NOT Want to Enter into a Homosexual Marriage:
    You will not be required to marry a gay person. This is a common misunderstanding. This decision actually does not affect you in any way.

If You Are Currently in a Heterosexual Marriage:
    This decision does not affect you in any way.

If You Are a Heterosexual Who Is Not Currently Married:

If You Are a Heterosexual Who Hopes to Eventually Marry:

If You Are a Member of a Church That Performs Wedding Ceremonies but That Does Not Believe in Gay Marriage:

If You Are a Religious Official Who Performs Wedding Ceremonies but Who Thinks Gay Marriage Is Wrong:

If You Are an Individual Who Believes Gay Marriage or Homosexuality in General Is Wrong for Religious Reasons, and Wish to Continue Expressing Those Beliefs:

If You Are an Individual Who Believes Gay Marriage or Homosexuality in General Is Wrong for Non-Religious Reasons, and Wish to Continue Expressing Those Beliefs:

If You Are a Heterosexual Who Fears This Decision Adversely Affects Your Marriage or the Concept of Marriage in General:

If You Are a Heterosexual Who Fears This Decision Negatively Affects You in Some Way:

If You Are a Heterosexual Who Suffers Anger or Anxiety at the Thought of Gay Couples Getting Married as an Abstract Concept, and Believes the Only Cure Is to Legally Prevent Gay Marriage:
    This decision will cause you some degree of anger or anxiety. Otherwise, this decision does not affect you in any way.
    Hope this helps!
  2. 27 Jun '13 13:28
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

If You Are an Individual Who Believes Gay Marriage or Homosexuality in General Is Wrong for Religious Reasons, and Wish to Continue Expressing Those Beliefs:

If You Are an Individual Who Believes Gay Marriage or Homosexuality in General Is Wrong for Non-Religious Reasons, and Wish to Continue Expressing Those Beliefs:

Gay marriage is affecting these people...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/07/gay-colorado-couple-sues-bakery-for-allegedly-refusing-them-wedding-cake/

Apparently those with religious or non-religious objections are being affected as gay marriage becomes more entrenched.
  3. 27 Jun '13 13:34
    Originally posted by techsouth

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/07/gay-colorado-couple-sues-bakery-for-allegedly-refusing-them-wedding-cake/

Apparently those with religious or non-religious objections [b]are
    being affected as gay marriage becomes more entrenched.[/b]
    Interesting. A lawsuit that was filed in the past was made possible by the Supreme Court ruling that happened yesterday?
  4. 27 Jun '13 13:38
    http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/a-30-second-guide-to-how-gay-marriage-ruling-affects-you/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Millions of people, most of whom are neither gay nor looking to get same-sex married, are loudly asking on the Internet how exactly this case impacts their life.

For them we hav ...[text shortened]... of anger or anxiety. Otherwise, this decision does not affect you in any way.
    Hope this helps!
    "If You Are a Heterosexual and Do NOT Want to Enter into a Homosexual Marriage:
    You will not be required to marry a gay person. This is a common misunderstanding. This decision actually does not affect you in any way."
    REALLY! IT IS COMMON FOR PEOPLE TO THINK THIS RULING MEANS THEY MUST MARRY A GAY PERSON. My fellow US citizens are even stupider than I thought. Please teleport me to Sweden and a sane society.
  5. 27 Jun '13 13:40
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Interesting. A lawsuit that was filed in the past was made possible by the Supreme Court ruling that happened yesterday?
    The OP made a prediction that such people would not be affected.

20 years ago, even though some churches were performing unofficial gay marriages, no such lawsuits occurred. Lately they've been happening with more frequency.

I countered that I think people will be affected " as gay marriage becomes more entrenched."
  6. 27 Jun '13 13:43

For them we hav ...[text shortened]... of anger or anxiety. Otherwise, this decision does not affect you in any way.
    Hope this helps!
    Right, businesses will not be able to discriminate based on sexual orientation. GOOD. We not longer argue that if you have a business you cannot refuse to serve or sell to someone whose race you find disgusting. You can still be a racist but you cannot refuse to sell your services based on the race of the customer.
  7. 27 Jun '13 13:48 / 1 edit
    The OP made a prediction that such people would not be affected.

20 years ago, even though some churches were performing unofficial gay marriages, no such lawsuits occurred. Lately they've been happening with more frequency.

I countered that I think people will be affected "[b] as gay marriage becomes more entrenched.
    "[/b]
    On what basis do you claim 20 years ago no lawsuits for discrimination against sexual orientation occurred? In fact, your claim is ludicrous.

Also, whether or not the gay couple has a legal right to marry has absolutely no effect on their civil suit.
  8. 27 Jun '13 13:55
    On what basis do you claim 20 years ago no lawsuits for discrimination against sexual orientation occurred? In fact, your claim is ludicrous.

Also, whether or not the gay couple has a legal right to marry has absolutely no effect on their civil suit.
    I have heard of no lawsuits for failure to provide services related to gay marriage until the last 10 years. If you know of one, then I stand corrected. But even if you find one, it seems evident to me they are happening with increased frequency.

And a legal right to marry will affect arguments in such civil suits.

(You can make assertions, so can I).
  9. 27 Jun '13 14:02
    I have heard of no lawsuits for failure to provide services related to gay marriage until the last 10 years. If you know of one, then I stand corrected. But even if you find one, it seems evident to me they are happening with increased frequency.

And a legal right to marry [b]will
    affect arguments in such civil suits.

(You can make assertions, so can I).[/b]
    So you never heard of discrimination suits 20 years ago means they didn't happen? I'm on my iPhone, but if you need me to look one up for you I will when I get home.

Can you cite anything in anti discrimination laws in any state that allows for discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation ONLY if they're not married?
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    27 Jun '13 14:25
    Originally posted by Phranny
    "If You Are a Heterosexual and Do NOT Want to Enter into a Homosexual Marriage:
    You will not be required to marry a gay person. This is a common misunderstanding. This decision actually does not affect you in any way."
    REALLY! IT IS COMMON FOR PEOPLE TO THINK THIS RULING MEANS THEY MUST MARRY A GAY PERSON. My fellow US citizens are even stupider than I thought. Please teleport me to Sweden and a sane society.
    Oh, the irony.
  11. 27 Jun '13 14:47
    So you never heard of discrimination suits 20 years ago means they didn't happen? I'm on my iPhone, but if you need me to look one up for you I will when I get home.

Can you cite anything in anti discrimination laws in any state that allows for discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation ONLY if they're not married?
    Do you really still think I'm talking "discrimination" in general?

Let's say I have a bed and breakfast as part of my home. I only allow married couples to share a room due to my moral convictions. I am morally opposed to a man and women having sex. Also, I am morally opposed to any same sex marriage and consider so called gay marriage to be a travesty.

If two gay single men try to book a room in my home, I can refuse. If they sue, I can point to my policy of only allowing married couples to share a room.

If two gay men who are legally married try to book a room in my home, I can still refuse. If they sue, the resulting civil case is slanted much more in their favor.

If I am a baker that makes wedding cakes and I refuse to make a cake for a gay couple, if the wedding is a legal sanctioned wedding, the resulting civil case will be much stronger than if the wedding is not legal.

The premise of the OP was that the SCOTUS decision would have no consequences to non-gay people. The broader argument used many times is that legalization of gay marriage does not affect straight people. I say it does, and bakers in states with legal gay marriage will have a much harder time living according to their beliefs.
  12. 27 Jun '13 15:00 / 1 edit
    Do you really still think I'm talking "discrimination" in general?

Let's say I have a bed and breakfast as part of my home. I only allow married couples to share a room due to my moral convictions. I am morally opposed to a man and women having sex. Also, I am morally opposed to any same sex marriage and consider so called gay marriage to be a traves ...[text shortened]... ates with legal gay marriage will have a much harder time living according to their beliefs.
    Your examples would be few and far between, so few they could fairly be called anomalies. The vast majority of Americans aren't business owners, and the vast majority of business owners would not have an applicable "dilemma."

I put dilemma in quotations because that brings me to my second point. It only "effects" people in the same way interracial marriage effects people.

And if you want to invoke religious values to claim this is different, there was a time when Americans did not ignore the Christian doctrine clearly written in mutiple places the bible, that condones slavery.

Millions of American Christians have learned to ignore their religion's sexist, Misogynist teachings toward women. They can learn to pretend bigotry toward gays doesn't exist in the bible as well.
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    27 Jun '13 15:09
    Actually, relgious people who perform wedding ceremonies will be affected: turning down a gay couple could result in discrimination law suits.
  14. 27 Jun '13 15:12
    Originally posted by vivify
    Actually, relgious people who perform wedding ceremonies will be affected: turning down a gay couple could result in discrimination law suits.
    Wrong. Churches are private institutions. They can no more be sued for discrimination than the Boy Scouts.
  15. 27 Jun '13 15:15

Apparently those with religious or non-religious objections [b]are
    being affected as gay marriage becomes more entrenched.[/b]
    we talked about that. it was a question of whether a service provider should bloody provide service to everyone regardless of gender/ race/ religion/ ethnicity/sexual orientation, you know, the thing anti-discrimination laws are for. it wasn't gays affecting his marriage. it was his being a douchebag affecting himself.