Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Jul '19 21:343 edits
    https://abc7chicago.com/faculty-testify-u-of-i-killer-brendt-christensen-was-once-promising-phd-student/5389189/

"U of I killer Brendt Christensen was once a promising PhD student, colleagues testify"

"Michael Christensen told the jury he still loves his son, prompting the convicted killer to tear up in court.

The father also apologized to Zhang's family.
    "I'm sorry my son was the cause of your pain," he said."

So would Michael Christiansen please ask his son where he put Zhang Yingying's remains?
    Being able to take her remains home might slightly reduce her family's anguish.
    And if he refuses even to ask, what would that mean about the sincerity of his apology?
    And if he has no problem with his beloved son withholding that information from
    the victim's family, then what does that mean about himself?
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Jul '19 06:55
    For whatever it's worth, executions are rare in Thailand.
    Yet a Thai court has just sentenced a Thai man to death for raping
    and murdering a German tourist.
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Jul '19 21:25
    @duchess64 said
    For whatever it's worth, executions are rare in Thailand.
    Yet a Thai court has just sentenced a Thai man to death for raping
    and murdering a German tourist.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/thai-court-sentences-german-tourist-killer-to-death/2019/07/12/e37ee49c-a496-11e9-a767-d7ab84aef3e9_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.69cee1250181

"Thai court sentences German tourist killer to death"

"A Thai man has been sentenced to death for raping and murdering a German tourist"
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Jul '19 22:263 edits
    On Monday 15 July 2019, the defense finished calling its many character witnesses on behalf of Brendt Christiansen.
    The jury should soon start deliberating about his sentence.

A professor attested that Brendt Christiansen is very intelligent and was a promising student.
    (No one has disputed that. Brendt Christiansen has boasted of his exceptional
    intelligence, including his cleverness in disposing of Zhang Yingying's remains.
    But does being very intelligent make him any less culpable of murder?)

His former wife attested that, despite the troubles in their marriage, Brendt
    Christiansen sometimes could treat her in a loving way.
    (He was not convicted of dehumanizing and murdering every woman, only one woman.)

Jail employees attested that Brendt Christiansen has been well-behaved while awaiting trial.
    (I expect that Brendt Christiansen would be afraid to treat a man who can fight
    back in the same way that he treated a physically much smaller woman.)

His mother attested that she unconditionally loves and supports Brendt Christiansen.
    She declared that his family would be absolutely 'devastated' if he was sentenced to death.
    She said that she feels 'sad' that the victim's family may feel 'bad' about what happened to her.
    As far as I know, she has not asked her beloved son to reveal where he disposed of his victim's remains.

My impression is that the Christiansen family (his father, mother, and sister) are
    still deep in emotional denial that Brendt (whom they all love unconditionally)
    could be a horrible person who committed a horrible crime, and they are
    motivated only by doing their utmost to minimize his punishment or his guilt.
    I suspect that the Christiansen family cares little or nothing about the Zhang family's anguish.

As far as I know, Brendt Christiansen has not testified. He has not personally expressed any remorse.
    And he has not revealed where he disposed of his victim's remains.

His defense may reckon that if the jury can be persuaded to perceive Brendt Christiansen
    as 'one of us' (a fellow white American) and his Chinese victim, Zhang Yingying
    (how many Americans could even pronounce her name?) as 'one of them', then it
    will be unnecessary for Brendt Christiansen to fake any remorse on the witness stand.

Yet it's been reported that some jurors were weeping when the victim's family testified about their pain.
    How many jurors wept when the murderer's family testified about their own supposed pain?
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Jul '19 19:34
    @duchess64 said
    On Monday 15 July 2019, the defense finished calling its many character witnesses on behalf of Brendt Christiansen.
    The jury should soon start deliberating about his sentence.

A professor attested that Brendt Christiansen is very intelligent and was a promising student.
    (No one has disputed that. Brendt Christiansen has boasted of his exceptional
    intelligence, includ ...[text shortened]... heir pain.
    How many jurors wept when the murderer's family testified about their own supposed pain?
    It has been confirmed that Brendt Christiansen has declined to testify at all.
    He has had his father, mother, and sister beg to spare his life, while not doing so himself.
    (His family members seem to have minimal token concern for his victims' family.)

Why not? His lawyers apparently believed that Brendt Christiansen would have
    most likely been appeared unsympathetic and untrustworthy as a witness.

If I were on the jury, I would have liked to hear Brendt Christiansen speak for himself.
    I would have liked to hear him express (or fake) remorse for his terrible crimes.
    I would have liked to hear him explain why he laughed (recorded by the FBI) when
    he described in detail how he decapitated his victim to make sure she was really dead.
    (His defense has excused all his recorded comments by claiming that he was drunk.)
    He also complained that he was disappointed sexually when he raped his victim.

Note that Brendt Christiansen has refused to this day (and his loving family has
    apparently declined to ask him) where he disposed of his victim's remains.
    White Americans typically go to great lengths to retrieve their loved ones' remains, but
    the Christiansen family apparently believes that should not matter to his Chinese victim's family.

To sum up, Brendt Christiansen never has personally expressed any remorse.
    He never has cooperated by revealing the location of his victim's remains.
    Yet his defense likes to claim that he's truly remorseful. How has he ever shown remorse?

So his family and defense apparently hope that the fact that he's a white American
    who once had promise and did not have an ideally happy past (who has?) as
    enough reason for the jury to sympathize with his presumed greater suffering.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 23:27
    @duchess64 said
    It has been confirmed that Brendt Christiansen has declined to testify at all.
    He has had his father, mother, and sister beg to spare his life, while not doing so himself.
    (His family members seem to have minimal token concern for his victims' family.)

Why not? His lawyers apparently believed that Brendt Christiansen would have
    most likely been appeared unsympathetic ...[text shortened]... y past (who has?) as
    enough reason for the jury to sympathize with his presumed greater suffering.
    https://news.wttw.com/2019/07/17/brendt-christensen-jury-deliberations-begin-after-lengthy-closing-arguments

"Brendt Christensen Jury Deliberations Begin After Lengthy Closing Arguments"

"FBI investigators testified they found her blood and DNA inside Christensen’s
    Champaign apartment, where he raped, beat and decapitated her, according to
    a statement he made to his then-girlfriend, who was wearing a wire for the FBI."

Given that Brendt Christiansen has refused to testify, reveal where he disposed of his
    victim's remains, or even to express any remorse, how sympathetic will the jury find him?
    He is white, however, and his victim was not, which may be enough for him to succeed.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Jul '19 04:252 edits
    @no1marauder said
    A jury that found the defendant guilty after less than two hours of deliberations is highly unlikely not to impose a sentence of death in the penalty phase.
    The self-styled 'legal expert' No1Marauder has been proven wrong.

Contrary to what he expected and according to what I expected,
    Brendt Christiansen has avoided the death penalty.
    He has been sentenced to life in prison.

Note that Brendt Christiansen never has expressed any remorse,
    spewed many lies about his innocence, and never revealed
    where he disposed of his victim's remains.
    Nonetheless, as a white man, he appears sympathetic to at least some jurors.

The victim's family has again desperately appealed to the murderer
    to reveal where he disposed of her remains.
    I would expect Brendt Christiansen to sneer or laugh,
    and I would not be surprised if his unconditionally loving parents
    laughed along with him.
    They apparently would not dream of asking him for that information.

The defense narrative has been that Brendt Christiansen was
    and is a good man who made only one bad mistake, for which
    he deserves understanding and forgiveness. The defense sought to dehumanize his Chinese victim.

Given endemic racism in the USA, I would have been shocked
    if a predominantly white jury (in Peoria) could have agreed unanimously
    on a death sentence for any white person convicted of
    murdering, however brutally, a non-white person.
    (Rape and torture are less important than racist dehumanization.)

Americans tend to place much less value on non-white lives than white lives.

So Brendt Christiansen's admirers here now may celebrate.
    He grinned in court, apparently feeling that he has beaten the system.
    The odds always were in his favor.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Jul '19 04:351 edit
    In a disturbing conversation, an educated 'liberal' white American
    (who still partly admires Donald Trump and may deny that he's racist)
    told me that he blames Zhang Yingying more than Brendt Christiansen
    for her rape, torture, and murder.
    He also fantasized that the murderer and the victim were
    having a secret affair.

He believes that by foolishly entering the USA, Zhang Yingying was 'asking for it'.
    For what? To be raped, tortured,, and murdered?

I would hardly be surprised if Brendt Christiansen''s loving
    family soon implores President Trump.to pardon him.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Jul '19 05:36
    @duchess64 said
    The self-styled 'legal expert' No1Marauder has been proven wrong.

Contrary to what he expected and according to what I expected,
    Brendt Christiansen has avoided the death penalty.
    He has been sentenced to life in prison.

Note that Brendt Christiansen never has expressed any remorse,
    spewed many lies about his innocence, and never revealed
    where he disposed of his ...[text shortened]... nned in court, apparently feeling that he has beaten the system.
    The odds always were in his favor.
    Apparently strongly disagreeing with the defense, the judge
    condemned Brendt Christiansen for his complete
    lack of remorse and refusal to
    reveal where he disposed of his victim's remains.
    His loving family apparently has no objection to how
    Brendt Christiansen has acted after his crimes.

As far as I can infer, the judge seemed unimpressed by the
    defense's claims of mitigation.

If the sentence had been in the hands of the judge rather than
    a jury, then I suspect that the death penalty would have been more likely.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Jul '19 10:09
    I'm glad I was wrong; apparently the People of Illinois are serious in their opposition to the death penalty.

Sorry your sick blood lust wasn't satisfied.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '19 10:172 edits
    @mchill said
    I am undecided on the death penalty, the only reason I'm not completely against it, is I don't want my tax money to provide food, shelter, and medical treatment for decades for a convicted murderer. As to the choice of punishment I'm leaning to option B - though option A wouldn't cause me any loss of sleep at night.

I'm not surprised at this post however. It's just anothe ...[text shortened]... one. A general theme that appears with numbing monotony in the vast majority in your posts Duchess.
    In the US, I hear it costs more money to put someone to death than it does keeping them the rest of their lives behind bars.

It's sheer insanity. Thanks Progressives.

I say hang the person in question high above the gallows, but then, I don't focus on putting to death only those who murder minority women because I'm not a racist or a sexist and I believe people should be treated equally under the law.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '19 10:182 edits
    @no1marauder said
    I'm glad I was wrong; apparently the People of Illinois are serious in their opposition to the death penalty.

Right, you want them to be able to continue to murder those behind bars or hope maybe they are paroled again.

Why is it that Leftists are only interested in preserving lives when it comes to those who murder, but then want tax payers to fund infanticide?
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Jul '19 10:231 edit
    @whodey said
    Right, you want them to be able to continue to murder those behind bars or hope maybe they are paroled again.
    Whatever happened to your belief in "States Rights"?

Illinois abolished the death penalty, yet here we have the Feds taking a case concerning a crime that occurred in that State solely to push for a sentence the People of Illinois have already deemed not appropriate for any criminal offense. If you were consistent (which you are not) you should be screeching about Federal overreach.

The death penalty serves no useful purpose and is simple barbarism for common crimes even heinous ones like murder.

EDIT: What a surprise; anti-abortion propaganda in a whodey post.
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Jul '19 10:54
    Somehow most of the world gets along fine without the "necessity" of the State killing criminals:

Amnesty International recorded at least 690 executions in 20 countries in 2018, a decrease of 31% compared to 2017 (at least 993). This figure represents the lowest number of executions that Amnesty International has recorded in the past decade.

Most executions took place in China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Viet Nam and Iraq – in that order.

China remained the world’s leading executioner – but the true extent of the use of the death penalty in China is unknown as this data is classified as a state secret; the global figure of at least 690 excludes the thousands of executions believed to have been carried out in China.

The authorities of Viet Nam indicated in November that 85 executions had been carried out during 2018, placing the country among the world’s top five executioners.

Excluding China, 78% of all reported executions took place in just four countries – Iran, Saudi Arabia, Viet Nam and Iraq.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2019/04/death-penalty-facts-and-figures-2018/
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Jul '19 14:021 edit
    @no1marauder said

The lying hateful.racist No1Marauder is still full of hate.

IF Brendt Christiansen had testified and convincingly expressed remorse and revealed where he disposed
    of his victim"s remains, I would have considered it in mitigation.

The judge condemned the murderer for not doing any of it.
    Would No1Marauder like to explain how he believes that
    Brendt Christiansen (with whom he deeply sympathizes)
    expressed sufficient or any remorse?

I never expected every white jutor to regard a Chinese rape
    and murder victim as nearly as
    human as her white American
    rapist and murderer, even when
    he's completely unrepentant.

As a racist, No1Marauder apparently has no empathy for
    the non-white victim or her family.
    Seeing photos of the murderer as a cute white boy opening
    his Christmas presents may well move No1Marauder to tears of compassion for him.

Now No1Marauder can celebrate and perhaps advise
    Brendt Christiansen about applying for a pardon soon.
    After all, his loving family describes him, even now, as
    a very kind, gentle good man
    who made one understandable mistake.
    No1Marauder may be eager to believe it.