Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    12 Jul '16 19:37
    http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2353-i-was-cop-in-country-with-no-guns-6-startling-truths.html

    An article written by a British police officer. The grand theme of it is how he managed to be a cop without ever having, let alone firing, a gun.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    12 Jul '16 19:41
    "#1. We Don't Need Guns Because The Community We Police Doesn't Have Guns"
    "[...] the active shooters and the mass shootings are so vanishingly rare as to be negligible. This is, I believe, wholly due to the fact that the UK had the tragedy of the Dunblane shooting, in which an unhinged shooter killed 16 children and one adult. Almost immediately, we banned all handguns in private hands and severely restricted sales, use, and carry. That was 20 years ago, and there hasn't been a mass shooting since. "
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    12 Jul '16 20:14
    cracked.com
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    12 Jul '16 20:34
    Nowegian police vs US
    YouTube[/youtube]
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    12 Jul '16 20:38
    They must not have a constitution where keeping and bearing firearms shall not be infringed over there. Interesting you mention there has not been a mass shooting in the UK in the last 20 years and it apears you atribute it to people not having handguns, but there are several states in the US that have not had mass shootings in the same time frame and people have plenty of guns. Whats your point?
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    13 Jul '16 02:19
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    They must not have a constitution where keeping and bearing firearms shall not be infringed over there. Interesting you mention there has not been a mass shooting in the UK in the last 20 years and it apears you atribute it to people not having handguns, but there are several states in the US that have not had mass shootings in the same time frame and people have plenty of guns. Whats your point?
    This point is immediately negated by the U.S. having the highest rate of gun deaths in the developed world.
  7. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    13 Jul '16 02:32
    Originally posted by vivify
    This point is immediately negated by the U.S. having the highest rate of gun deaths in the developed world.
    It stands to reason when we have gangs, users of psychotropic drugs, an escalating race war, open borders, drug wars, mentally ill war vets, and false flag events to eliminate the 2nd amendment. That along with a government that does not enforce existing laws. Somebody is bound to open fire somewhere. Just be glad it isn't buckets of gasoline at the entry and exits of places. The guns really have nothing to do with it.
  8. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    13 Jul '16 02:50
    Trouble with the warm and fuzzy cops with no guns idea is that there are more guns than people in the US and there's no way to take them off the street.
    So only the bad guys will have guns and the cops will be defenseless. Our streets will be littered with dead cops and victims alike.
    Is that what you want?
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    13 Jul '16 03:101 edit
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    It stands to reason when we have gangs, users of psychotropic drugs, an escalating race war, open borders, drug wars, mentally ill war vets,
    Hence, why the U.S. needs to ban guns.

    Not all laws have the same level of necessity for all countries. Some countries have lower drinking ages than others, and some cities have higher (or even no) speed limits. The need for certain laws vary depending on many factors.

    The U.S., which has a fairly recent history of a high amount of lynchings, police brutality, gang violence, hate crimes, etc., is in a far different situation than most westernized nations. The U.S. has a need for banning guns.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    13 Jul '16 03:14
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Trouble with the warm and fuzzy cops with no guns idea is that there are more guns than people in the US and there's no way to take them off the street.
    So only the bad guys will have guns and the cops will be defenseless. Our streets will be littered with dead cops and victims alike.
    Is that what you want?
    It doesn't have to happen immediately. Gradual steps toward a nation where not even cops need guns, are what need to be taken.
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    13 Jul '16 03:19
    Originally posted by vivify
    Hence, why the U.S. needs to ban guns.

    Not all laws have the same level of necessity for all countries. Some countries have lower drinking ages than others, and some cities have higher (or even no) speed limits. The need for certain laws vary depending on many factors.

    The U.S., which has a fairly recent history of a high amount of lynchings, polic ...[text shortened]... n a far different situation than most westernized nations. The U.S. has a need for banning guns.
    You can't take the constitutional right away from the many because of a very small number bad actors. Not in the United States anyway. The Euroweenies will put up with that because they have no real constitutions left anymore. None that their own supreme courts can make a ruling on without it being turned over by Merkel and associates. Besides there is a totally different mentality.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    13 Jul '16 03:53
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    You can't take the constitutional right away from the many because of a very small number bad actors.
    It's not a "small number". The U.S. has the HIGHEST rate of gun deaths in the developed world.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    13 Jul '16 08:30
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    They must not have a constitution where keeping and bearing firearms shall not be infringed over there. Interesting you mention there has not been a mass shooting in the UK in the last 20 years and it apears you atribute it to people not having handguns, but there are several states in the US that have not had mass shootings in the same time frame and people have plenty of guns. Whats your point?
    "They must not have a constitution where keeping and bearing firearms shall not be infringed over there."

    they also have way less gun violence. i guess that's less important to you than an outdated amendment that you didn't even interpret properly
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    13 Jul '16 08:32
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Trouble with the warm and fuzzy cops with no guns idea is that there are more guns than people in the US and there's no way to take them off the street.
    So only the bad guys will have guns and the cops will be defenseless. Our streets will be littered with dead cops and victims alike.
    Is that what you want?
    yes, sparky, a fundamental change in a society requires more than one single action. who knew?

    restrict guns for all civilians. cops will no longer have to worry about everyone having guns so they will stop carrying guns.
  15. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    13 Jul '16 10:28
    Originally posted by vivify
    It's not a "small number". The U.S. has the HIGHEST rate of gun deaths in the developed world.
    The people that misuse firearms is a small number when compared to the total number of gun owners.
Back to Top