Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    16 Mar '17 06:58
    From the BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-39274941

An international project featuring a rapist discussing his crime on stage has drawn both condemnation and support. So should a perpetrator be given a platform to share his experience?

A TED talk they filmed last October has been watched by more the 2.7 million people and the pair have since taken part in a handful of stage appearances.

Their London fixture prompted a petition by campaigners who warned it would be a "trigger" for sexual assault survivors - bringing back painful and dangerous memories - and could "encourage the normalisation of sexual violence instead of focusing on accountability and root causes of this violence".

Elva, who now lives in Sweden with her husband and son, insists she is not sharing a set of recommendations for others.
    Instead, she wants to shift the focus of responsibility for sexual violence to the perpetrator rather than the victim, and bring about what she calls the "demonstrification" of attackers.
    "Demonisation of perpetrators in the mainstream media got in the way of my recovery," she said.

"The fact that Tom wasn't a monster, but a person who made an awful decision, made it harder for me to see his crime for what it was."

What do you all make of that then?

I don't know what to think.
    Sort of like: the intentions sound sort of correct, but what sort of person phones up their raper?

Meditate on it, I shall.
  2. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    16 Mar '17 13:51
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    From the BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-39274941

[i]An international project featuring a rapist discussing his crime on stage has drawn both condemnation and support. So should a perpetrator be given a platform to share his experience?

A TED talk they filmed last October has been watched by more the 2.7 million people and the pair have since take ...[text shortened]... und sort of correct, but what sort of person phones up their raper?

Meditate on it, I shall.
    A novel idea. I say a rapist should be given a platform to air his (or in rare cases her) views, ONLY after they've confessed their crime to authorities and served their required prison time. I'm not sure why they would want to do this, but perhaps some good may come of it.
  3. 16 Mar '17 14:34
    Originally posted by mchill
    A novel idea. I say a rapist should be given a platform to air his (or in rare cases her) views, ONLY after they've confessed their crime to authorities and served their required prison time. I'm not sure why they would want to do this, but perhaps some good may come of it.
    If you are interested in what the person has to say, why would you require them to confess their crime and serve their required prison time?
  4. 16 Mar '17 14:52
    Sounds like something only a leftist wpuld consider.

On the one hand throw a guy in prison brcause he had sex with a girl without both signing a contract.

On the other let's listen to a guy talk about how he would rape women at knife point. Or perhaps a gang of guys who break into an appartment and stream the rape on Facebook could give a lecture too.

Leftists are sick and demented.

The only reason to put an actual rapist on stage is for public execution.
  5. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    16 Mar '17 15:19
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Sounds like something only a leftist wpuld consider.

On the one hand throw a guy in prison brcause he had sex with a girl without both signing a contract.

On the other let's listen to a guy talk about how he would rape women at knife point. Or perhaps a gang of guys who break into an appartment and stream the rape on Facebook could give a lecture too.
    ...[text shortened]... ick and demented.

The only reason to put an actual rapist on stage is for public execution.
    For someone who shags his unconscious wife when he's drunk, you certainly cone away with tough punishments.
  6. 16 Mar '17 16:23 / 2 edits
    For someone who shags his unconscious wife when he's drunk, you certainly cone away with tough punishments.
    I have never done such a thing.

I don't even drink.
  7. 16 Mar '17 16:31
    I have never done such a thing.

I don't even drink.
    But hey, if it makes you feel better make up lies about other people and pretend they are true.

It is what people like you do.
  8. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 Mar '17 18:09
    But hey, if it makes you feel better make up lies about other people and pretend they are true.

It is what people like you do.
    I hate when people like Eladar make up lies and pretend they're true. Thanks for calling him out on it.
  9. 16 Mar '17 18:21
    Originally posted by vivify
    I hate when people like Eladar make up lies and pretend they're true. Thanks for calling him out on it.
    So you are one too.

I guess you have to live in an offendd dream world to be a leftist.
  10. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    16 Mar '17 20:33
    And funnily enough... we're off topic.

Please return (me as well) to it.

Thanks
  11. 16 Mar '17 20:38 / 1 edit
    And funnily enough... we're off topic.

Please return (me as well) to it.

Thanks
    False accusations then say change the subject.

Please present you evidence that I have ever violated an unconscious woman. Drunk or sober.
  12. 16 Mar '17 20:47 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar to Shavixmir
    I have never done such a thing. I don't even drink.
    "A couple goes out and gets drunk. She passes out and the boyfriend has sex with her anyhow.
    Sounds like something that might happen and most people would not consider rape."
    --Eladar

Regardless of Eladar's uncorroborated denial of his personal actions, it's clear that
    *if* Eladar did it, then he would *not* regard it as rape or as wrong, legally or morally.
  13. 16 Mar '17 20:59 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "A couple goes out and gets drunk. She passes out and the boyfriend has sex with her anyhow.
    Sounds like something that might happen and most people would not consider rape."
    --Eladar

Regardless of Eladar's uncorroborated denial of his personal actions, it's clear that
    *if* Eladar did it, then he would *not* regard it as rape or as wrong, legally or morally.
    Guilty until priven innocent.

Libtard justice.

You should have your father put in jail instead of taking it out on strangers.
  14. 16 Mar '17 21:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vivify to Shavixmir
    What hypocrisy from the lying troll Vivify! I have no doubt that Vivify would admire and
    embrace every lie by Eladar as long as that lie seemed useful in personally attacking me.
  15. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 Mar '17 21:06 / 6 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64

Originally poster by Vivify to Shavixmix
    What hypocrisy from the lying troll Vivify! I have no doubt that Vivify would admire and
    embrace every lie by Eladar as long as that lie seemed useful in personally attacking me.
    You are a moron. I quoted Eladar, not Shavixmir.

Duchess made a fool of herself yet again.