Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 30 Jul '10 21:27
    Not highly publicized, but I think very interesting were a few comments by Obama during his visit to the 'View'.

When asked about his background, which includes a black father and white mother, Obama said of African-Americans: "We are sort of a mongrel people."

Is anyone other than me concerned about racists comments that classifies people as 'mongrels'? I guess it doesn't make him a racist because he went on to say:

I mean we're all kinds of mixed up," Obama said. "That's actually true of white people as well, but we just know more about it."

I'm guess the 'we' is black people who know more about being mongrels. There is only one other national leader that I recall labeling Americans as Mongrels. If you don't know, try doing an internet search.
  2. 30 Jul '10 21:36
    Sorry reach, my friend. I call myself a Heinz 57, a mutt, or mongrel every one in a while. You know what he and it means. Certainly you're not THAT dense, are you?
  3. 30 Jul '10 21:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Sorry reach, my friend. I call myself a Heinz 57, a mutt, or mongrel every one in a while. You know what he and it means. Certainly you're not THAT dense, are you?
    You can call yourself a mut all day long. Calling entire race of people mongrels is another thing.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Jul '10 23:20
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You can call yourself a mut all day long. Calling entire race of people mongrels is another thing.
    Of all the many human rights that we have, The Right Not To Be Offended And The Right Not To Be Outraged are simply not among them. Go ahead and exercise your Right To Disagree.
  5. 30 Jul '10 23:32
    I suppose you guys think that Obama was right for making the comment.

Btw, anyone know the other leader who made the same comment about Americans?
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Jul '10 23:47
    I suppose you guys think that Obama was right for making the comment.

Btw, anyone know the other leader who made the same comment about Americans?
    DNA tests a few years back on people who consider themselves "English" - even staunchly so, and as apparently purely English as the driven snow - revealed them to be 'mongrel people' with scrips and scraps of 'heritage' from all over the place, including the Orient, Africa and South Asia. Astonishingly so.

You'd have me believe that in the U.S. it is different? That the 'races' and all their DNA and 'heritage' is carefully separated and their lineage 'pure'? I care not whether Obama did or didn't make the comment. What I do know is that it's essentially true and it's refreshing to hear a leader say it.

Perhaps it's a case of Only Nixon Could Go To China, and Only Obama Could State The Bleeding Obvious re: 'Mongrelness'.

However Eladar, your glass Political Correctness chin is duly noted.
  7. 30 Jul '10 23:51
    Side stepping the other national leader that labeled US citizens mongrels?
  8. 30 Jul '10 23:54
    who was it?

I give up?
  9. 31 Jul '10 00:14
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    who was it?

I give up?
    Google it. I found Hugh Glass, you find this guy. I don't want to be the one to bring up the name.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    31 Jul '10 00:36
    Sidestepping what? I don't give two hoots. Didn't you understand my post?
  11. 31 Jul '10 00:39
    Google it. I found Hugh Glass, you find this guy. I don't want to be the one to bring up the name.
    You were unaware of who Hugh Glass was?
  12. 31 Jul '10 00:42
    Never heard of Hugh Glass. I had to look it up.

In any case, I got hits earlier, but not I'm not finding them. I suppose it might be difficult to find the exact quote, so I'll re-state who you should be looking for:

Leader of the nation who would classify the US as a mongrel nation. Their ideology was based on being a pure race.
  13. 31 Jul '10 01:29
    You're right Eladar, and easy find, and something I wasn't aware of... Thanks
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    31 Jul '10 01:55
    Here we have a somewhat bizarre thread where the poster of the OP doesn't "...want to be the one to bring up the name" of the person the thread is partly about.
  15. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    31 Jul '10 08:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    DNA tests a few years back on people who consider themselves "English" - even staunchly so, and as apparently purely English as the driven snow - revealed them to be 'mongrel people' with scrips and scraps of 'heritage' from all over the place, including the Orient, Africa and South Asia. Astonishingly so.

You'd have me believe that in the U.S. it is differe ...[text shortened]... ss'.

However Eladar, your glass Political Correctness chin is duly noted.
    Yep. Brits are pretty mixed up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-430916/Yorkshire-core-roots-Africa.html