Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    12 Feb '17 21:13 / 1 edit
    According to a Fortune magazine poll taken Jan 27th - 29th, President Trump's disapproval rating has jumped 6 points in the last 4 days. Now, I know Trump supporters here will start crying "Fake News" but Fortune is not supportive of the Liberal left, and is generally accepted as at least reasonably accurate by both sides of the partisan fence. A 51% disapproval rating so soon after inauguration is historically high. Donald Trump has attacked members of Congress (many in his own party) the judiciary, the media, Mexico, and many countries in the Muslim world, with no regard to the fact that he will need the cooperation of these same people if he wants to get anything done.

Donald Trump's erratic behavior, outlandish Tweets, numerous conflicts of interest, ties with Russia, and many legal problems have prompted some members of the GOP establishment in Congress to state privately that impeachment proceedings need to be "on the table"

This is what happens when you elect an "outsider" who has little idea of how our system of government functions, looks upon himself as a CEO and not a President, and thinks the only way to get anything done is to bully and threaten people. We have a "novice" in the White House.

http://fortune.com/2017/01/29/donald-trump-approval-rating-gallup/

http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/Republican-says-with-Trump-impeachment-needs-10861130.php
  2. 12 Feb '17 21:16
    Originally posted by mchill
    According to a Fortune magazine poll 29th, President Trump's disapproval rating has jumped 6 points in the last 4 days. Now, I know Trump supporters here will start crying "Fake News" but Fortune is not supportive of the Liberal left, and is generally accepted as at least reasonably accurate by both sides of the partisan fence. A 51% disapproval rating so so ...[text shortened]...
    http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/Republican-says-with-Trump-impeachment-needs-10861130.php
    You are such a duped fool. Oregon is a great place for you.
  3. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    12 Feb '17 21:20
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You are such a duped fool. Oregon is a great place for you.
    I suppose Republicans in Congress and Fortune magazine are "duped fools" as well, right? Speaking of Oregon, it's a wonderful place. I don't live there, but not far away!
  4. 12 Feb '17 21:22
    Originally posted by mchill
    I suppose Republicans in Congress and Fortune magazine are "duped fools" as well, right? Speaking of Oregon, it's a wonderful place. I don't live there, but not far away!
    They are establishment types.

They've been against Trump from the git-go. So you claiming he has just made enemies of people from his own party just goes to show how duped you are.

I thought you said you lived in Oregon.
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    12 Feb '17 21:42 / 1 edit
    They are establishment types.

They've been against Trump from the git-go. So you claiming he has just made enemies of people from his own party just goes to show how duped you are.

I thought you said you lived in Oregon.
    You're using a stupid term.

How many conservative politicians are *not* "establishment types"? It's likely that the vast majority of the GOP consist of "establishment" people, and has been that way since the party's formation. It seems any Republican that you disagree with is an "establishment type"; a convenient title, given that this term can apply to nearly every Republican politician. This means any time a Rep makes you look bad, you can almost 100% of the time use "he's just an establishment type" as a defense.

Trump is probably the least "establishment type" of a politician as you can get; yet, he's also positioned himself (in a mere few weeks) to be the worst president of all time. So don't fall in love with the idea of "non-establishment" given how terribly the most famous example of it is doing.
  6. 12 Feb '17 21:44
    Originally posted by vivify
    You're using a stupid term.

How many conservative politicians are *not* "establishment types"? It's likely that the vast majority of the GOP consist of "establishment" people, and has been that way since the party's formation. It seems any Republican that you disagree with is an "establishment type"; a convenient title, given that this term can apply ...[text shortened]... ; yet, he's also positioned himself (in a mere few weeks) to be the worst president of all time.
    Trump was elected to override the establishment.

He has the backing of the people on this.
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    12 Feb '17 21:46

He lost the popular vote by a landslide; so no, he doesn't.
  8. 12 Feb '17 21:53
    Originally posted by Eladar to Vivify
    Eladar forgot to put 'most white' before 'people'.
    (Most white men and most white women voted for Donald Trump as US President).
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '17 22:07
    I wouldn't call a little over 2% a landslide just as I wouldn't call 306 Electoral College votes a landslide.

Probably a fair portion of Trump votes esp. in the primary thought he would go against the Republican "establishment". In his first three weeks, he has offered zero evidence that he will do so and plenty of evidence he won't.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '17 22:08
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Eladar forgot to put 'most white' before 'people'.
    (Most white men and most white women voted for Donald Trump as US President).
    Last I checked, even white men and women counted as "people".
  11. 12 Feb '17 22:11 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Last I checked, even white men and women counted as "people".
    Strawman Time again. My point is that Eladar could have accurately claimed that most
    white American men and women 'backed' Donald Trump by voting for him in 2016.
  12. 12 Feb '17 22:38
    He won the election with the antiestablishment vote. You are in the establishment dream world.
  13. 12 Feb '17 22:39 / 1 edit
    Got the filter warning but went through anyhow.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '17 22:41
    Got the filter warning but went through anyhow.
    The vast majority of his supporters dutifully voted for other Republican candidates on the ballot who were "establishment" in your terms.
  15. 12 Feb '17 22:51
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The vast majority of his supporters dutifully voted for other Republican candidates on the ballot who were "establishment" in your terms.
    When the other option was a Democrat they voted R. They got duped if they thought an establishment type would willingly support Trump.